#1 WhRob

WhRob

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 September 2024 - 11:25 AM

Hi all,
I'm planning on dropping the front subframe this winter to replace the mounts. I'm going to also remove the rad and flush the system and check the water pump. I also need to sort an advisory on the steering rack (nearside front play in steering rack inner joints).

I know that to change the mounts I only need to drop the subframe a little but is there anything else that I should consider checking/replacing while I'm at it?
Cheers

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,650 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 September 2024 - 12:04 PM

The brake lines are the main limitation on dropping it clear. The body is more manageable than the front subframe for moving about.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 September 2024 - 06:28 PM

May I suggest that you jack up the front of the car to remove both front wheels and then squat the gearbox securely.

Next, remove all the subframe bolts, pipes, wires, gear linkage, speedo cable etc:

Now jack the body off the subframe, or better, if you have a beam, lift it with pulleys until you can remove the steering rack.

#4 WhRob

WhRob

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 08:20 AM

Do I need to disconnect brake lines to get to the steering rack?

#5 Lplus

Lplus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 08:42 AM

Do I need to disconnect brake lines to get to the steering rack?

I disconnect the front brakes at the double female connector just above the cone turret to allow the subframe to drop without stressing the brake line, others may not bother.   The rear brake line does not need touching at all as it runs between the rack and the bulkhead.

#6 WhRob

WhRob

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 September 2024 - 11:01 PM

I've just been reading through the excellent guide https://www.theminif...ubframe-mounts/ but I can't find how the rear subframe mount is connected to the car? I can't picture how it goes together (and the photos don't load for me) can anyone help me out?

Mini spares lists this part  (FRONT SUBFRAME REAR FIXING STRAP FLOOR TO MOUNT), where does this go?

https://www.minispar...ck to catalogue

#7 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 08:11 AM

It pokes through the floor from inside to help keep the bolts from turning when you undo the nuts securing the mounts.Steve.

#8 WhRob

WhRob

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 09:07 AM

Thanks, that makes sense (and what I originally thought) but the mini spares description says it's fitted on the rear of the front subframe?

I would just have a look but my footwells are covered in a sound deadening which I'll need to cut out first, but I thought there are nuts to undo from inside the car?

#9 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 09:22 AM

there are fixings from inside that hold the mount itself on the car

then there are fixings from that mount to the subframe, those ones are accesible all from outside/underneath and possibly for your purposes the easier ones to remove and refit

the mounts are kind of at a diagonal angle though so whether that will allow you to lower the frame I can't remember sorry, you'd have to have a look, or someone else will be along to correct me 

Edited by stuart bowes, 17 September 2024 - 09:23 AM.

#10 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 03:46 PM

There are no nuts inside the car.the bolts are fixed to that strap and poke through the floor holding them captive.Steve..PS from the inside.

#11 WhRob

WhRob

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 04:21 PM

Thanks both. I need to replace the tower mounts so while I'm at it I may well end up changing the rear mounts too. At the moment I've a mixture of rubber and solid so I'll change if needed to go all solid.

I'll try and get under the car to check but it looks like I had better get that part and other new fixings and make sure everything is done right.

Plan currently is:

Check and change subframe mounts

Remover radiator/flush

Check water pump

Replace fan belt

Replace steering rack

(not in that order)

As suggested I'll aim to jack the body on a board rather than try and drop the engine

#12 ADRay

ADRay

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 September 2024 - 07:16 PM

if you decide to remove the metal fuel line on the tow board, remember to reinstall it before the subframe is reattached (and the engine and everything else is in place too - I have some experience with that).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users