Photo

Mini Spi Injector Issue (Not Actuating)

Best Answer sidewalkspi , 13 September 2024 - 07:44 PM

Got the new connector now and crimped it to the harness. After this she started right up?
Now just got to replace lambda sensor, steering rack gaiters etc. to get it running well and through an MOT 😅
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sidewalkspi

sidewalkspi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2024 - 05:36 PM

I've been having some issues with my 1995 Mini SPI injector. 

Towards the end of last year, I started having issues where after it was running for around 10-20 minutes, it would conk out.

After fiddling around with a number of things (unsucessfully); vacuum lines, temp sensor, ecu, I garaged the car over the winter and have only just got round to trying to get it fixed again. 

As it had been sitting for 6 months, the fuel had started to go off, so it wouldn't properly start. 

I then replaced the fuel and gave the whole system a good flush (by bridging the fuel pump relay connector on the relay unit) and removing all the old fuel. 

After giving the injector a soak in brake cleaner and flushing the pipes with clean fuel, the engine ran (a bit rough but still running) for over 30-40 minutes. At this point I also found via the diagnostics, that the lambda sensor wasn't givving good readings so I was going to replace that with the correct Bosch one.

As I noticed the spray pattern from the injector was poor, I sent the injector away for cleaning.

When the injector came back, I reinstalled it and the car will no longer start. 

I have checked the fuel pressure, and I am getting aprox. 1 bar.

When testing the injector via the diagnostic socket plugged into my laptop, I don't hear the click that I'm expecting.

With my multimeter connected to the plug on the loom, it was registering a frequency (about 10 kHz), so it looks like it is sending the signal.

I used a couple of wires connected to a battery and tapped the injector pins (under the yellow cap), and this did make the injector pulse. 

I have also tried a spare ECU (which was working previously) and a second-hand injector (but this seems to be stuck open).

Any ideas for other things to try to get the car running would be very much appreciated. 

Thanks. 

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 31 August 2024 - 07:09 PM

The ecu grounds the injector.I would check for power at the injector and then the ecu plug if ok there.Steve..

#3 sidewalkspi

sidewalkspi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 05:26 PM

I've just checked the loom and I've got continuity between the + pin and this pin (see attached pic) in the ECU connector but there doesn't seem to be any continuity between the - pin and any of the ECU connector pins.
I'm not sure which pin should the injector be grounded too though.
I do have a spare loom so I may chuck that in and try that but that's a bit of a pain to fit (dash out etc.)Attached File  IMG_20240903_181442__01__01.jpg   65.59K   3 downloads

Edited by sidewalkspi, 03 September 2024 - 05:28 PM.

#4 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 September 2024 - 02:32 PM

injector is pins 1 and 24.

#5 sidewalkspi

sidewalkspi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2024 - 07:48 PM

Ok then. I guess the pin I've got continuity on is pin 1 (bottom right with the latch facing up). Is pin 24 the one I've circled in blue.
I'll double check this tomorrow evening and if there's no continuity I guess it'll be looking into the wiring loom to see if it's broken somewhere.

Attached Files

#6 sidewalkspi

sidewalkspi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2024 - 02:39 PM

I checked the continuity again between the ECU and injector connectors. I found that there was very high resistance between the injector minus pin and pin 24 on the ECU. When I pulled back the injector connector boot, the yellow and brown wire pulled out from the housing.
I'll replace the connector and hopefully this solves this issue.

Attached Files

#7 sidewalkspi

sidewalkspi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2024 - 07:44 PM   Best Answer

Got the new connector now and crimped it to the harness. After this she started right up?
Now just got to replace lambda sensor, steering rack gaiters etc. to get it running well and through an MOT 😅
Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users