35 replies to this topic

#31 ac427

ac427

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 September 2024 - 08:54 PM

After a fair amount of poncing about, the tank is back in the car. The Facet pump delivered some fresh petrol all the way up to the engine bay and into a container, which cheered me up no end.

Edited by ac427, 03 September 2024 - 08:55 PM.

#32 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 04 September 2024 - 03:29 PM

Happy motoring. Sure this preventative maintenance will be piece of mind for you for many happy miles.

Keep up the good work.

#33 ac427

ac427

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 04 September 2024 - 03:32 PM

Happy motoring. Sure this preventative maintenance will be piece of mind for you for many happy miles.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, a new tank at £300 helped to spur me on :-)

Edited by ac427, 04 September 2024 - 03:33 PM.

#34 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 06 September 2024 - 09:16 AM

Ouch...

(Goes to gets everyone more wax on his vans fuel tanks)

#35 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 06 September 2024 - 11:35 PM

Just for info, when I did the kit car it had the original clubman estate tank (I believe) as it had a drain plug on the bottom.

I could not start the car and it turned out that this pipe was a "loose" fit in the tank (i.e. a separate part and when screwing in the external solid pipe with a tapered fitting I had inadvertently twisted the loose internal pipe through 180 degrees so it was pointing straight up and in fresh air (the only way it would have been able to get fuel would have been if the tank was more or less 100% full as the pipe would have been about half an inch from the top of the tank.

No filter attached to the pipe in my case, and once I realised what was happening it was relatively simple to get the internal pipe pointing  downwards (and add an external filter)

Not long after the tank sprung a leak and I replaced it with a new tank with a fixed pipe as seen here (but retained the external filter anyway)

Just in case anyone still has an old tank and isn't aware of the loose internal pipe - it flummoxed me for a while

#36 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,650 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 September 2024 - 09:56 AM

That rusty tide mark across the baffle is wild, has to say something about storing old petrol.

The fuel line on my old DERV burner had a random (polyurethane?) elbow connecting the nylon line to the tank. For years I used to get occasional random surges of power, like it was turbo charged. Then that elbow let go & I got to notice it looked like a cross between a gummy bear & tea bag. It must have been bleeding in air & once replaced the old van permanently "surged" nearly enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users