#1 SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 August 2024 - 05:29 PM

Hi there, 

Post rewiring the front and rear of my car, only thing (so far) not working is the indicators. They don't work on indicating or on the hazards. The hazard switch is plugged in the right way up (2 pin bit on 2 pin bit, 4 pin bit on 4 pin bit), and I've tried the flashers both ways in both sockets. 

I don't get continuity between the set of 2 pins from my hazard switch in either position, so that could potentially be at fault, but even if I bridge these pins at the connector, the flashers don't work. What was the hazard flasher (an SFB115) makes a series of sporadic, short flashes, and the other (unidentified) does nothing.

The only way I get the indicators to flash is to jump the hazard switch AND jump the flasher dark green and green/brown wires (see diagram). This way I can get the left or right side to stay steady on.

This leads me to believe that potentially the hazard switch is dead AND both flasher units are dead, but this seems quite unlikely. Given that both systems worked before I did the rewire.

Worth saying I've used a HAM4385 harness from minispares.

Any opinions before I go and buy a new switch and two flashers?

Attached Files

#2 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 13 August 2024 - 09:36 PM

Not knowing the year of your vehicle this was an old post I put in describing the circuit operation. I hope it is of some help to you with the problem you are experiencing and you will need a wiring diagram to follow my explanation.                                                              

The indicator flasher is connected via  the hazard switch so that it is disconnected when the hazard flashers are switched ON and only work when the hazard switch is OFF. This is to prevent any conflict between the indicator flasher and the hazards.

The hazard circuit should work with the ignition OFF, the whole idea of hazards, and are fed from a permanent fused supply.

The circuit is battery feed to a fuse ,then to the hazard flasher unit, through the unit to the hazard switch. The two outputs from the switch, usually the same colour of wires as the feed to the lamps.

To fault find this circuit proceed as follows

Ignition OFF Hazard switch OFF

Check supply fuse has 12v supply and fuse integrity.

At the hazard flasher unit check the 12v supply from the fuse, if not check supply wire continuity.

Check 12v output of hazard flasher unit, if not suspect flasher unit.

At hazard switch check 12v feed from flasher unit, if not check feed wire continuity.

Switch on Hazard switch and check for the two 12v outputs that drive the flashers, if no suspect the switch.

You can temporarily bridge out the flasher unit to see if the lamps work with the hazard switch ON.

Like wise the hazard switch can be linked out to see if the flasher works on the selected circuits..

To check the Flasher circuit proceed in a similar manner.

Ignition ON and Hazard OFF.

Check supply fuse and integrity

Check 12v supply to and output from flasher unit.

Check 12v feed to flasher switch from flasher unit.

Check output from flasher switch to flasher lamp on the selected circuit.

The test procedure is the same for both circuits but fault find the Hazard circuit first.

Hope this helps. 

#3 SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 August 2024 - 08:04 PM

So update if anybody was interested. I did the advised problem solving and came to the same unlikely conclusion that the switch and both flashes were busted.

Today I put in replacements for all three parts and now everything works. Pleased I can drive about again, although to be honest a little confused at how all of them died whilst rewiring!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users