13 replies to this topic

#1 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 09 August 2024 - 08:37 PM

A friend of mine owns a Morris Minor van which is used as a daily driver.  He lives in a city centre location and is suddenly having trouble insuring it.  He's been with Footman James for ages and now they are saying they can't renew the insurance as the vehicle isn't garaged.  

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Not everyone has access to a garage.  He's tried another broker who has told him the same thing.

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 10 August 2024 - 08:36 AM

Has he tried Lancaster?

#3 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 10 August 2024 - 12:38 PM

Has he tried Lancaster?

Don't know, I'll ask

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 10 August 2024 - 08:47 PM

Has he tried Lancaster?

No.  He tried Adrian Flux and got told the same.  I'll tell him to try Lancaster.

#5 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 11 August 2024 - 07:19 AM

Has he tried Lancaster?

No.  He tried Adrian Flux and got told the same.  I'll tell him to try Lancaster.

That's worrying, my Minor van is insured with Flux, parked on the driveway. Is your friends van parked on the road?

#6 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,875 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 August 2024 - 07:49 AM

I have two cars with Flux both parked on the driveway.Road parking is covered if the car is not at my address or near to it.Steve..

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,691 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 August 2024 - 08:39 AM

I've run quotes for garaged & ungaraged & it seems to make little difference. Even seen it suggested garaged can be more expensive because you can cause damage with the garage & other stuff in it. It could also prevent a thief being  seen & provide tools to an opportunist.

Underwriters will base premiums on their own claims data though.

I don't think everyone realises that they could invalidate their cover, if they insured for off road parking, by parking on the road within a certain distance of their address.

#8 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 02:06 PM

That's worrying, my Minor van is insured with Flux, parked on the driveway. Is your friends van parked on the road?

Yes, on the road in Birmingham city centre.  Not ideal but there must be thousands of people with daily driver classics in a similar situation.

#9 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 02:08 PM

So far he's tried Footman James, Peter James, Lancaster, and Brentacre.  His insurance runs out next week and he's over the other side of the country sorting his mum's estate out after her recent death.  

#10 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 02:09 PM

He's contacted the Morris Minor Owners Club too who have said they will speak to Footman James (his current insurers) but they're not sure it will make any difference.

#11 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 02:15 PM

Some of the insurers won't insure that area, some say because it's his main vehicle (whatever that ******* means) and some because it's on the road or combinations of the three excuses.  

He's looking into possible off road parking options as best he can from miles away.  

He's had this van for over twenty years and has used it as his only vehicle all that time.  He can't stand modern stuff.

I don't see why they refuse to insure.  You'd think they'd just push the premium up.  The worst he's had happen in all the time he's had the van is some damaged wing mirrors.  

#12 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 02:54 PM

My suggestion would be to go and sit in front of an insurance broker and discuss it. You know, like we used to do. A local broker will know the area and have access to many insurance companies.

#13 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • 2,193 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 12 August 2024 - 05:54 PM

Sometimes worthf giving the what three words or grid reference to where the vehicle will be kept. That way they can actually see how far off the road the car will be or infact what the street cover is like.

#14 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 12 August 2024 - 06:05 PM

Sometimes worthf giving the what three words or grid reference to where the vehicle will be kept. That way they can actually see how far off the road the car will be or infact what the street cover is like.

Have you experience of this? It's extremely unlikely that they'll be interested, it was only a few years ago that insurance companies started using more than 4 digits of your postcode. Risk will be based on a larger area than you'd expect.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users