14 replies to this topic

#1 SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 12:34 PM

Hiya, doing a front loom replacement on a 1972 with alternator, engaged starter and 3 clock dash. I'm using a HAM4385 as suggested by minispares (cheers folks!) and only come across a couple of wires I'm confused by.

My car has this heat sink style resistor with two Brown/Orange wires going to it, but the new loom doesn't have that. Any idea what its for? ( see attached0

thanks!

Attached Files

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,626 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 July 2024 - 12:43 PM

Dim dip resistor. A '72 Mini wouldn't have one. How's the subframe bolted on behind that  bulkhead reinforcement?

#3 SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 12:54 PM

Ok, so in theory it isn't doing anything anyway and I don't need it on the new loom?

The subframe is attached with what looks like a nylon-y washer

Attached Files

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,178 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 July 2024 - 01:08 PM

That car is not a 72. 

#5 SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 01:16 PM

Well, it was first registered in 1971, but somebody has given it a makover to be like a 1990s cooper with a 1275. It's had things added and taken away at different times (probably like most minis) e.g. it used to have side repeaters, now they've been covered over.

#6 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 02:50 PM

did they also change the front bulkhead crossmember then, I thought single bolt mounts weren't until like '79 or something ('76?)  

and the dim-dips were like mid 80's or something, why would they add that ?

unless I've got my dates mixed up which is entirely possible

might be worth checking if the VIN matches the V5 if that sort of thing worries you

in answer to the original question you can get rid of the dim-dip though, I've deleted it from my loom.  just check the headlights operate correctly I guess, if they don't it's not an overly complicated setup to trace and rectify

Edited by stuart bowes, 27 July 2024 - 02:55 PM.

#7 SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 03:08 PM

I don't know to be honest! I've had the car a couple of years but not got much history other than MOT certificates from 2008 to 2012. Had a lot of previous owners who have probably done their own thing to it, but certainly at some point had a fair whack of money spent to get it looking the way it does.

The guy I got it off said at some point it had been in a mini magazine, and I'd love to know more about the cars history, but don't really know where to look. I tried getting in touch with the DVLA for previous owner info but they said no 

Excellent, goodbye dim-dip relay. Headlights not working is what prompted me to do the rewire in the first place so I will be checking for sure. Thanks for your help!

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,178 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 27 July 2024 - 03:39 PM

Well, it was first registered in 1971, but somebody has given it a makover to be like a 1990s cooper with a 1275. It's had things added and taken away at different times (probably like most minis) e.g. it used to have side repeaters, now they've been covered over.

The documents you have may not be for that build. It may have had a brand new shell or had a front end rebuild some time after 76 when the mounts you show were first introduced. But having the dim dip resistor and other things you have said I would be having a careful look in the rain channel between the wipers for a stamped number or possibly signs that it has been removed.

there are other things that are teltails most items have date stamps or date codes.

#9 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 03:52 PM

I still wonder why someone would bother adding the dim-dip, that's some real dedication to originality in making it look more modern isn't it

It makes me think swapped with a more modern but used shell, or simply a swapped v5 and plates for historic registration purposes..

Edited by stuart bowes, 27 July 2024 - 08:30 PM.

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,563 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 27 July 2024 - 08:06 PM

That car is a ringer, definitely not a 72 shell or subframe for that matter

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,626 posts

Posted 29 July 2024 - 08:24 AM

It's not impossible it was reshelled before the authorities started taking an interest in such things. More likely a previous owner didn't like paying road tax or was sentimental about previous Mini & its registration.

#12 SteadyEddie

SteadyEddie

Passed Test

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 July 2024 - 06:53 AM

The more you know! I suppose I hadn't put much thought into it. It also has side repeaters in the shell that have been patched over which I assume makes it from 1986(??) at the earliest. Are there ever date marks on the shell or anything?

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,626 posts

Posted 30 July 2024 - 07:17 AM

As above, the VIN would have been stamped into the gutter where the back of the bonnet sits. It's a panel that gets replaced through rot though - it's on a Mini!

Some bits are likely to have manufacturing dates, but again it's a Mini, so god knows what's actually original.

Seat belts, wiper motor...

#14 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 30 July 2024 - 08:10 AM

I found my doors have date stamps on them somewhere in the area below the internal lock lever (need to take door cards off) which led me to the discovery one of the doors had been replaced at some point

easy to swap though so no real indication that they are original to the car of course

#15 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 30 July 2024 - 08:29 AM

Definitely not a 71/72 shell, thats a post 76 I believe.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users