30 replies to this topic

#1 Rubbershorts

Rubbershorts

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 July 2024 - 08:16 PM

Hi guys, just been for a 25 mile spin, after changing plugs, leads etc, on West Yorkshires finest twisty country lanes. Had a peek at the plugs when I returned. I'm not too sure. I'm also no expert so would appreciate any thoughts on here concerning their colour. Their position from the radiator is numbered. 1 being next to the radiator.

Attached Files

#2 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 July 2024 - 08:30 PM

All the insulators are a similar colour, there are slight variations but nothing too dramatic looking.

Your trip was maybe not long enough on new plugs to get a good guide, the mixture looks too lean to me.

A light coffee colour is preferable, you do not want too lean a mixture, maybe screw the jet down one flat and see what the change is.

#3 Rubbershorts

Rubbershorts

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 July 2024 - 08:44 PM

All the insulators are a similar colour, there are slight variations but nothing too dramatic looking.
Your trip was maybe not long enough on new plugs to get a good guide, the mixture looks too lean to me.
A light coffee colour is preferable, you do not want too lean a mixture, maybe screw the jet down one flat and see what the change is.

Thanks. What would one flat be? And is that clockwise?

#4 Rubbershorts

Rubbershorts

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 July 2024 - 08:51 PM

Thanks. What would one flat be? And is that clockwise?

Ah, just looked on line, it's a nut. So one flat anti clockwise would lift the needle allowing more fuel through?

#5 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 July 2024 - 10:42 PM

You want to screw the nut clockwise looking down from the top. This "unscrewing" moves the jet tube down the taper of the needle making for a richer mixture

#6 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 04:20 AM

The adjusting nut or screw (depending on carb type) is only for setting the idle mixture, not for adjusting the mixture across the rev range. You need a change of needle profile for that.

#7 Rubbershorts

Rubbershorts

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 07:37 AM

The adjusting nut or screw (depending on carb type) is only for setting the idle mixture, not for adjusting the mixture across the rev range. You need a change of needle profile for that.

I'm confused now. You'd have to change the needle, for another one, to make the mixture less lean?

#8 Rubbershorts

Rubbershorts

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 07:41 AM

I'm confused now. You'd have to change the needle, for another one, to make the mixture less lean? Isn't changing the needle for large changes, whereas the adjustment using the nut is fine tuning?

#9 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 08:20 AM

If it`s running well I would leave it alone, yes you could say it`s a tiny bit lean but I`d be well happy with that plug colour.

#10 Rubbershorts

Rubbershorts

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 08:38 AM

If it`s running well I would leave it alone, yes you could say it`s a tiny bit lean but I`d be well happy with that plug colour.

😎👍

#11 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 09:35 AM

By lowering the jet tube you change the possition farther down the needle taper, thus making the mixture richer, for the same needle lift .

No need to change the needle unless things are seriously wrong which in your case I suspect that they are not.

The carburettor piston lift will be the same for certain throttle possitions its just the fact that the starting point is lower that exposes more of the needle taper so the mixture is richer over the whole range.

#12 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 11:08 AM

What size engine and what heat range plug are you running?
I am seeing a little rich on the fueling here.

Below is a set of plugs from a perfectly tuned 998 with oil burning on one cylinder only. It shows the colour to aim for on the 3 plugs that look clean. This is after 300miles of motorway running.

Attached Files

Edited by ACDodd, 27 July 2024 - 11:13 AM.

#13 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 27 July 2024 - 11:27 AM

Looks rich to me too. I'm not sure how anyone says that looks lean. Probably because everyone sets their mixture way too rich.

I don't tune by plug colours so maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about but I expect to see exactly what ACDodd has shown.

#14 Rubbershorts

Rubbershorts

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 11:36 AM

What size engine and what heat range plug are you running?
I am seeing a little rich on the fueling here.

Below is a set of plugs from a perfectly tuned 998 with oil burning on one cylinder only. It shows the colour to aim for on the 3 plugs that look clean. This is after 300miles of motorway running.

Hi AC, it's a 1275 and the plugs are Lucas LPL004.

#15 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 27 July 2024 - 12:09 PM

I see a different colour on each plug that usually means the ignition system is not optimised. What coil is it running (resistance) and what dizzy type are you using? Is there a ballast wire fitted? Change them to a set of NGK BP6ES. Gap them before fitting.

AC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users