#1 Suburu

Suburu

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 05:28 PM

Hi all,

The car (1978 clubman saloon) has been jacked for the last week but on trying to turn the car the starter cranked veerrry slowly. After cleaning all connections at solenoid (Sub mounted), battery earth and earthing straps with wire wool and WD40. The car now has the one click solenoid issue.

Funnily enough the above technique got it working the other day so I suspected this would maybe expel some water from an earthing point but no success.

I then checked the solenoid with a light probe. The continuous side lights up fully and the ignition wire lights up on turn of the key. The wire connecting the solenoid to starter motor lit and flickered very faintly leading me to believe this may be where the fault lies. I also noticed the solenoid bolt was able to be pushed up and down on the starter side when all bolts removed.

Any ideas as to the likely cause ? is it grounding like I suspect ?

or

Should I remove solenoid from sub and fix/ replace or should I try an extra earthing wire from solenoid to frame ?

alternatively

The battery is now reading 10.6v so could this be suspect as it has not been getting run time for alternator ?

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,563 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 18 July 2024 - 07:47 PM   Best Answer

Battery voltage too low so it will click

#3 Suburu

Suburu

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 08:41 PM

Will charge up tonight and get back to you with results. It was measuring 12.7 on the gps tracker before me cranking it, although i’m not sure how much I can trust it. Fingers crossed it’s the battery, it does seem duff though as the indicator still wont show green after a full charge.
Thanks.

#4 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 19 July 2024 - 12:46 AM

Will charge up tonight and get back to you with results. It was measuring 12.7 on the gps tracker before me cranking it, although i’m not sure how much I can trust it. Fingers crossed it’s the battery, it does seem duff though as the indicator still wont show green after a full charge.
Thanks.

Even a dead battery can be charged to show 12v. You need to test the voltage when it's cranking or trying to, it needs to be over 9.6v.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,626 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 July 2024 - 10:43 AM

The starter cranking strongly will be a test in itself.

Also,

the solenoid needs a decent earth through its mounting screws (assuming it's a remote solenoid & inertia starter.)

shorting the solenoid posts together with something chunky, like an open ended spanner, will eliminate the solenoid & switching bit if that's where the fault is.

#6 Suburu

Suburu

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 02:14 PM

Thanks all. Turns out it was the battery, doh. I reckon it’s on its way out. Glad it’s something easy this time though.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,563 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 July 2024 - 03:18 PM

Yuasa 063 size battery. Just take extreme care fitting the battery clamp bar

#8 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 05:26 PM

Or leave the bar off and bung a piece of wood down the back to make the battery a snug fit, my 063 battery has been like that years with no issues.

#9 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 July 2024 - 04:28 AM

Hi,

I wrapped the retaining bar in black insulating tape when i discovered that it was slightly twisted and causing a very slight short.

Paddy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users