Photo

The Perils Of A Northern Irish Numberplate.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 18 July 2024 - 02:06 PM

The other afternoon, I came across an advert at the Dentist's for an MG Midget in Northern Ireland, and it brought back memories.

Almost 30 years ago, knowing that I had more than a passing interest in Minis, a sort of cousin in Ulster, left me his 1300 Clubman Estate in his Will.

I must have been pulled over two dozen times in the first six months, invariably by an unmarked car with blue flashing lights, especially anywhere near Birmingham.

Exasperated, when I was detained and unable to perform my duties as Best Man at a friends wedding, my MP was able to get it re registered with an English number plate.

Alas, it wasn't an equivalent plate, and with an "N" prefix, I still got pulled over by keen eyed officers in unmarked cars, who knew that a Clubman must have had an "X" or earlier suffix, presumably assuming that I had false plates.

Aren't computers wonderful ?  When tin-worm in the front wings, failed the MOT in 2002, I tried to "SORN" the car, but it was rejected because the engine number and the English plates were not compatible,  ...   and yet, when I put the car back on the road, within a month I received three notices of intended prosecution because I was driving a "SORN" car.

If only they had been available back then, to get my own back, at Christmas, I'd love to have decorate my car with a few small Christmas trees, illuminated with blue flashing lights.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users