6 replies to this topic

#1 dangerousdowning

dangerousdowning

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 July 2024 - 10:05 PM

Hi there, just looking to get an honest evaluation on my 1989 mini Mayfair, 998cc, manual - not really looking to sell it, although might not have a choice at some point.

I changed a bunch of bits on it, so its no longer in its original form - such as replacing all grey exterior trim with chrome. 

I've owned it since around 2001 and before that it belonged to 3 pervious owners (all ladies from the same family).

Within the first year of owning it, it was in a prang and written off, due to damage to the front panel and wing, but brought it back of the insurers and had both wings and the front panel replaced, but you'll spot its not an exact colour match.

In the years I've owned it, its spend more years off the road, in my garage, then on the road. The longest period was 7 years and its now not been on the road since the last MOT expired in Oct 2019 - I found a rust hole on the panel the drivers door bolts onto and just hadn't gotten around to dealing with it.

Small rust spots on the bottom of the doors have never increased since owning the car and you can see the rest of the quality in the photos.

rust on the scuttle panel as pictured

Engine was fine, but second gear syncro was just starting to go, as would sometimes pop out. Has a stage one tuning kit on it and electric points.

Suspention had hi-los fitted.

Interior all replaced. Although never got round to replacing the dial surround with a black one or dash panel. Plus had alway panned to replace the steering wheel.

Tyres all need to be replaced due to their age and sitting in one spot and have gone egg.

Underside is pretty good, as replaced the seals and rear subframe. Plus it helped that it lives in a garge and never went out in the rain. Although one wing has sufford a dent and scratches from just being in the garage from items that fell on it in the past.

As you can tell, I'm just looking for a true value for the car in its current state.

Thanks

Luke

Attached Files

Edited by dangerousdowning, 18 July 2024 - 06:58 PM.

#2 dangerousdowning

dangerousdowning

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 July 2024 - 10:07 PM

Sorry, no idea why a bunch of the photos rotated.

#3 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 17 July 2024 - 03:02 PM

I see it’s got no battery it in, does it start and tick over ok?

#4 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 17 July 2024 - 03:10 PM

also what are the rear corners of the boot like, behind the wheel arches, common place for some serious rust and a fair bit of work to repair

#5 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 06:40 AM

Has it got oversills fitted?

They can can hide a lot of corrosion.

#6 dangerousdowning

dangerousdowning

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 06:59 PM

Ok, so some more photo's of the boot add to the original post and answers to questions below:

The whiter area to the right of the battery was from myself repairing a couple of holes and in the photo of the wheel arch you can see a repair I did there too.

The battery box has no rust in it, but the brown strip in the image is where the paint had flaked off, but no corrosion.

There's no battery as it lives on a trickle charger and its normally started a couple of times a year and left idling for around 30 minutes.

Both sills were replaced, but I honestly have no idea/can't remender if they were oversills or not. My father inlaw did the work, as he was a welder back then (this was around 20 years ago when I first got the car) - any idea how I can check?

Edited by dangerousdowning, 18 July 2024 - 07:05 PM.

#7 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for the info.

So you can currently buy this, slight later model, for around £5750, looks very good condition;

https://www.ebay.co....tm/166845024797

Just from simple maths, baring in mind your car could take approx £1000 to sort out, depending how much work is needed or wanted, yours is probably worth around £3-4k.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users