18 replies to this topic

#16 mrmeds

mrmeds

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 July 2024 - 03:24 PM

set for 50 .... checked in sequence as per haynes manual - got about 1/4 turn on no's   4,5,9  before torque clicked ...

Now can't see any. bubbles and  pressure is showing as  155, 150, 147 ,152....

so hopefully thats that  !!! 

Now to cqrry on trying to sort mixture out !... see if I can imporve my 23 mpg  lol !

#17 Lplus

Lplus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 July 2024 - 04:23 PM

set for 50 .... checked in sequence as per haynes manual - got about 1/4 turn on no's   4,5,9  before torque clicked ...

Now can't see any. bubbles and  pressure is showing as  155, 150, 147 ,152....

so hopefully thats that  !!! 

Now to cqrry on trying to sort mixture out !... see if I can imporve my 23 mpg  lol !

Might be worth putting a replacement gasket on the "to do when time permits" list, but glad to hear you got at the very least a temporary fix to let you get on with setting up carbs etc.

Edited by Lplus, 21 July 2024 - 04:24 PM.

#18 MrBrown

MrBrown

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 July 2024 - 06:19 PM

Nice! I second Lplus. Head gaskets aren’t too bad to change, plus these cars seem to need them more frequently then more modern cars as so I’ve found.
Glad you’re back in business and reported the findings for closure.
Cheers.

#19 miniGTS

miniGTS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 August 2024 - 06:02 PM

ok ... so I was topping up the dash ots with oil - so had an idea..... i used some dashpot oil to run a line of oil along the join of the head and the block.... then started the engine ...
low and behold ... very fine bubbles appeared in the oil around the gap between spark plug one and 2 ..... when I increased revs ... bubbles got a bit bigger... so obviously a very slight leak in head gasket ..... is it enough to worry about , or should I wait until it becomes more of a problem -- bearing in mind I lack the skills to change my head gasket. ( not that i've tried )

I have a similar issue. It's possible that I didn't torque the head studs to spec and as a result petrol seems to be coming through between the head and block at number 4 piston.

I the engine hasn't run long and only a few start ups since I changed the gasket. So now I will need to redo the head gasket but my question is, is there any chance that fuel could have got into the oil?

Edited by miniGTS, 24 August 2024 - 06:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users