3 replies to this topic

#1 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 11 July 2024 - 10:46 PM

It's that time again, time to get covered in petrol!!! Haha. Need to change the fuel filter on my SPi and, although I have done this several times, I was wondering if there is any better way about it? Assume you drive it till the tank is as low as you dare, crack the bold on the IN side of filter and let the fuel run out (usually all over me and floor), and replace. Any sure fire ways of doing this as neatly as possible?

I will tell you the worst time doing this for me. My SPI had been off the road for 5-6 years after an accident (and life getting in the way) and I was finally getting it back on the road. I went to change the filter. Wasn't sure if there was any fuel in the tank. Removed the filter and no fuel came out. Realizing that they never sent the one seal, I went back inside to order and call it a night. The next day I could smell bad petrol from way before I got to the garage door. I guess the fuel was trapped/blocked and just released over night, dumping a thin layer across the entire floor!! It stunk for ages in there! There is nothing like the smell of varnished fuel. Awful!! End of tale;-)

Edited by brivinci, 12 July 2024 - 01:50 AM.

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 July 2024 - 08:09 AM

I find one of these hand pumps is useful for draining the Mini petrol tank easily into a can. Make sure the plastic is suitable for use with petrol.

Syphon Pump - Petrol Diesel:-

https://www.diy.com/...16777100_BQ.prd

Draper Siphon Pump (43650)

https://www.draperto...50/siphon-pump/

Edited by mab01uk, 12 July 2024 - 08:20 AM.

#3 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,697 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 12 July 2024 - 11:07 AM

Plenty of pb blaster on the filter unions a few days before, allow to fully soak in.

Be prepared to need new filter hose to hardline hose as the unions can corrode, and also the fuel hose can be ate by ethanol (found this out last year).

Draining is easy, with the car on axle stands crack off the filter union and drain into a jerry can.

Never, ever needed to use a siphon on a Mini tank, even on my MPi. Just note theres two types of injection filter, different threads depending on VIN age.

#4 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 12 July 2024 - 03:21 PM

Thanks guys. Just wanted to see if I was missing anything. I have a quick jack lift this time around so I will be able to get it off the ground a bit more. Typically, the fuel hit the subframe and runs all over the place. With the car higher, I should be able to get at it better. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users