21 replies to this topic

#1 tommyboymini

tommyboymini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2024 - 10:44 PM

I just got my 1998 Mini Rover Paul Smith Edition this morning. It started right up off the truck and I drove it home. It was warm, but not hot outside. This afternoon it wouldn't start. It would crank over trying to start. Once or twice it sputtered. It started cranking slow so I put my charger on it set to start / charge. It stared right up, but stalled out after about 15-20 seconds. I would turn it off for about a minute and it would do the same thing. This is my first mini and I have some mechanical background, but not a ton (enough to be dangerous). The person I purchased it from said it would start when he had it in his air cooled shop, but sometimes it would have issues starting when it was warm out. He told me he replaced the fuel filter and crank sensor. He also said the relay pack looked and tested good. Any ideas?

#2 MrBrown

MrBrown

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 02:32 AM

I have to ask just because it happened to me. Do you have enough gas in the tank?

#3 tommyboymini

tommyboymini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 03:37 AM

I have to ask just because it happened to me. Do you have enough gas in the tank?

I thought that too at first, so I added a bunch of gas from my gas can. I wasn't sure if the gauge was working, but it went up when i tried to start it.

#4 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 09 July 2024 - 04:38 AM

Start with this:

- Charge the battery

- leave for a short time disconnected, maybe an hour.

- connect battery

- disable ignition system

- crank for 20 seconds and measure the battery voltage during this time at the battery posts. If it is below 9.6v you most likely have a bad battery, remove and test. If it is above then the issue is likely elsewhere. Crank again and measure the voltage with the meter leads on the starter post and engine for earth. If it is below 9.6v then you have a bad connection somewhere. If it is above 9.6v then the issue is likely not starter/battery related.

Edited by 68+86auto, 09 July 2024 - 04:39 AM.

#5 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 06:10 AM

Give continious 12 V to the gas pump and try again.

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 09:09 AM

The ‘98 JDM is Spi fuel injection not the late model Mpi which would be the case for most other non-Japan cars. There are 4 thin vacuum pipes related to the injection system that can be a source of all sorts of trouble if they’re leaking in any way. As a matter of course these are best renewed before doing anything else, they might actually solve the problem.

#7 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 09 July 2024 - 01:10 PM

I assume you know the petrol is good and fresh? As modern fuels don't last very long any more. I have been caught out a couple if times with fuel going off after not very long in the tank.

#8 tommyboymini

tommyboymini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 02:10 PM

Thank you, I will give some of these suggestions a try today. I have the mini workshop manual 5th edition, but the filename says MPI. Is there a different manual for SPI engines?

I found this post about the vacuum line locations, but I only see two in this diagram going to the fuel trap. Where would the other two lines be?

dd8edf54b32b926a9193d82fce5eb0e7db63bd5d

#9 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 02:26 PM

Minispares items:

MLH10026

PHP10027

PHP10043

MLH10022

#10 tommyboymini

tommyboymini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 03:41 PM

The two hoses that I did check connected to the fuel trap had been replaced with tubing similar to the Samco tubing. They looked brand new. I will have to get in there and make sure they didn't come loose any though.

It did start right up again this morning (90 deg outside now). I let it run for about a minute then turned it off. It started up again and stalled after 15 seconds. And again, and again, and again. lol. This is going to be fun.

Edited by tommyboymini, 09 July 2024 - 03:42 PM.

#11 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 09 July 2024 - 06:06 PM

When was the the cutover for JDM Minis for the distributorless engine?
Have you tried the inertia switch? It is in your picture but not labelled. Looking for a diagram...

#12 tommyboymini

tommyboymini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 06:20 PM

Looking at the ECU. There are two wiring plugs. The one on the right has 3 wires (white and 2 black). The two black wires are not connected to anything. Seems odd to me. I am trying to figure out what they might go to.

Attached File  20240709_135619.jpg   70.87K   0 downloads

Edited by tommyboymini, 09 July 2024 - 06:24 PM.

#13 tommyboymini

tommyboymini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 06:35 PM

I checked the inertia switch. It isn't popped up or anything. I can push it and it clicks

#14 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 08:26 PM

Have you checked to listen to both injectors firing, then along the fuel lines and filter. If the vac pipes are new it would sound to me fuel starvation or lack there of

#15 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 08:26 PM

Have you checked to listen to both injectors firing, then along the fuel lines and filter. If the vac pipes are new it would sound to me fuel starvation or lack there of

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users