13 replies to this topic

#1 minirelatedname

minirelatedname

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2024 - 09:14 AM

I recently wanted to get rid of a spare rear seat and thought the miniforum would be the best place for it. After struggling to start a new topic, I resorted to actually READING something and found out I had to post 150 odd things before I'm allowed.

The trouble is, I've had this account since 2013 ish, and in that time I've only made 25 (ish) posts. At this pace, I'll be dead before I'm allowed to sell my bits to fund the purchasing of more bits.

I could investigate the membership+ thing that was mentioned, but that's extra clicks - and that's not a commitment I'm willing to make.

I ended up flogging the seat on flee-bay, got charged a couple bob along the way too as a "sErViCe FeE".

Moral of the story, what the hell TMF! I thought we was friends! Where's my preferential treatment?!

P.S. Does this count as a post? I could resort to making another 125 of these.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,943 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 07 July 2024 - 09:36 AM

So first off, no your post does not count towards the count as it’s not in a technical section.

Secondly when you join you agree to understanding the rules and as such we would like to hope? our members would read the rules for a specific section to see what if anything stops them from posting.

The 150 posts, TMF+ shows a commitment to the Forum and not a drop in, sell something then make no further posts and not adding anything at all.

Sounds harsh, maybe but there was a massive influx of this very thing happening and it was not adding anything at all to the Forum as a whole.

So with all of that in mind, if you still own a mini then actually having TMF+. Membership does give you access to 7.5% discount at Minispares etc so if like me you are doing a resto or buying expensive parts then it soon pays for itself.

#3 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 07 July 2024 - 09:53 AM

"sErViCe FeE".

Personally, I'd reset your post count for posting in that ridiculous style.

#4 minirelatedname

minirelatedname

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2024 - 07:54 PM

So first off, no your post does not count towards the count as it’s not in a technical section.

Secondly when you join you agree to understanding the rules and as such we would like to hope? our members would read the rules for a specific section to see what if anything stops them from posting.

The 150 posts, TMF+ shows a commitment to the Forum and not a drop in, sell something then make no further posts and not adding anything at all.

Sounds harsh, maybe but there was a massive influx of this very thing happening and it was not adding anything at all to the Forum as a whole.

So with all of that in mind, if you still own a mini then actually having TMF+. Membership does give you access to 7.5% discount at Minispares etc so if like me you are doing a resto or buying expensive parts then it soon pays for itself.

Thank you for rewording the points I made in the post that you replied to. As stated in my first message, yes, I read the rules (finally). 150 posts. TMF+. yadda yadda. 

The part that you omitted was that I've had this account for over a decade. The "commitment" that you ask for will naturally vary from user to user, depending on their needs at a particular point in time. It's unreasonable for you to expect a full blown automotive-autobiography from every single user.

"Sounds harsh" - sounds like a poor user experience. Hence why I submitted this feedback (as tantrumy as it is) into the Forum Feedback section, presumably where it's supposed to go and NOT be disregarded.

"there was a massive influx of this very thing happening" - so TMF users had a lot of choice on availability of parts, and TMF had a lot more internet traffic? Sounds like it absolutely added something to the forum and helped keep these vehicles on the road. 

"so if like me you are doing a resto or buying expensive parts then" - you would absolutely want a proactive sellers section, where you can gather reasonably priced bits for your projects.

This isn't the first time someone gave feedback on the rules around the sellers section, and it's obvious that the responses use a lot of the same category texts. The conclusion is that the motivation for these changes had nothing to do with "showing commitment to the forum", and all to do with increasing TMF+ subscriptions. I appreciate that the TMF+ only costs a fiver per year, but in the process of hammering down these rules, that you yourself admit are harsh, you've detracted from the community that was established.

I personally remember the "For Sale" section being chock full of bits for me to explore, and I'd visit the site daily, keeping an eye out for bits that I needed for my first resto (I'm due to start another soon). I'd then explore the build threads for inspiration. 

What is truly frustrating, is that TMF has had this exact feedback before. And the response is almost identical to what you put, copy and paste, verbatim. Could you please, kindly, take this feedback on board? The 150 post rule is stupid and is having a negative impact on user engagement.

#5 minirelatedname

minirelatedname

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2024 - 07:56 PM

"sErViCe FeE".

PeRsOnAlLy, I'D rEsEt YoUr PuRpUrPuRrr

#6 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 08 July 2024 - 02:47 AM

I recently wanted to get rid of a spare rear seat and thought the miniforum would be the best place for it. After struggling to start a new topic, I resorted to actually READING something and found out I had to post 150 odd things before I'm allowed.

The trouble is, I've had this account since 2013 ish, and in that time I've only made 25 (ish) posts. At this pace, I'll be dead before I'm allowed to sell my bits to fund the purchasing of more bits.

I could investigate the membership+ thing that was mentioned, but that's extra clicks - and that's not a commitment I'm willing to make.

I ended up flogging the seat on flee-bay, got charged a couple bob along the way too as a "sErViCe FeE".

Moral of the story, what the hell TMF! I thought we was friends! Where's my preferential treatment?!

P.S. Does this count as a post? I could resort to making another 125 of these.

You have answered your own questions / remarks. You are not willing to commit to the forum and therefore do not get the full benefits. When you are prepared to commit get back to us and we will wait for you to prove your commitment by actually taking part 8n discussions or joining TMF+.
It cannot be any clearer.

#7 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 July 2024 - 06:46 AM

I do not know exactly what the membership of the the forum is but I believe it is in the tens of thousands. I should think that the percentage of those members that have the same view as you will be less than 1% and how active are they on this forum. I have been keeping my daughters Mini on the road for a few years now. It has not been a major rebuild or anything like that, just very common problems that have needed to be resolved. I have come on here and asked for advice and have also related my experiences of correcting problems. I have needed to get rare parts and have come on to the forum for advice as to where I could get them. I have always had positive responses. On one occasion I was offered the part I was after at a price I thought was below market value I bought it but sent what I thought was the true value about £30 more. So it is very much a case of you give and you get back so no case for you to be whingeing.

Paddy

#8 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 July 2024 - 01:32 PM

Surely the e8ay fees {and possibly P&P} were more than the 5 quid it costs to join TMF+ for a year!?!

#9 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 08 July 2024 - 01:46 PM

"sErViCe FeE".

PeRsOnAlLy, I'D rEsEt YoUr PuRpUrPuRrr

that sort of thing doesn't really help to support your argument does it 

I think part of the reason is also that the forum is trying to avoid people turning up out of the blue (or a long standing but basically dormant account) advertising something for sale and then mugging people off - at least if there is some history of contribution then it appears more likely you're a genuine person with honest intentions (although still not a guarantee)

here's a thought though, if you've been here for 11 years, and presumably the comments other people have made have helped you out, would it have been beyond the realms of possibility for you to occasionally add the occasional thanks, with the details of the problem you solved and maybe a few little extra insights into how you found a different method, or even pointing out if something you read didn't work for you for some reason, by now you'd probably be at least halfway to the total

I don't really feel like it's the forums fault that you haven't contributed, or their 'job' to help you sell things more easily

or to think of it a different way, the £5 helps to support a forum for something that you're clearly interested in, you get it back anyway on one or two minispares orders 

even your account name is half-arsed, you may as well have just written 'insert name here' 

Edited by stuart bowes, 08 July 2024 - 01:51 PM.

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 July 2024 - 06:29 PM

We all have options.

As Sonikk pointed out, TMF has rules. You can choose here to accept those rules and have the forum to use or not accept them and move on.

#11 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 July 2024 - 09:40 PM

To minirelatedname,  I do feel your pain, and have some empathy for those forum Voyeurs or at least those who are keen and interested but may not be mechanically brilliant or who fear for giving advice if not sure about something.

now the otherside  - Hosted web forums cost money and require dedication of generally a paltry few admin who give up their time/ patience and sometimes possibly sanity to keep the flag flying.- so Lazy me is quite happy to go with the flow of the different rules offered by different forums .

I do appreciate the fact you just felt the need to vent. 

#12 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 July 2024 - 07:55 AM

As much as I do agree with the post count and forum rules I’m shocked to see others ripping into this guy

We are a club of like minded mini enthusiasts?

#13 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 20 July 2024 - 09:21 AM

to be honest I think he got the response that he craved or expected. Anyone who acts like a dick and thinks that they won’t get a reaction is beyond help imo. (Yes I realise the irony, but I’m old enough to take a ribbing)

#14 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 07 August 2024 - 10:29 AM

I agree, why not stump up £5 to TMF and also avoid giving money to a massive corporation like eBay, even if it’s just for 1 year?
Surely that £5 is more useful to keep a decent forum like this going, than lining the pockets of corporations?
However I do agree being a member for 11 years should grant you more benefits, maybe the site owners should consider to allow members of more than 5 years to post in for sale, as I agree the for sale section is pretty empty these days. But as has been said, rules is rules and it all seems to work.
On a side note, I recently had to help a friend with their Vespa that wouldn’t run. I tried two Vespa forums for help, one is dead with no replies and the other one took weeks to get replies, most replies were short and not much help.
It made me even more grateful for the fast and detailed replies I always get on TMF.

Surely the e8ay fees {and possibly P&P} were more than the 5 quid it costs to join TMF+ for a year!?!

Edited by beardylondon, 07 August 2024 - 02:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users