#1 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 July 2024 - 11:03 PM

I've posted 2 lists here that came from BMC to the dealers, one covers nuts, bolts, washers and the like, the other is on split pins.

42l9pcn.jpg

DaGfGsQ.jpg

iqm6lkF.jpg

VSDCyp1.jpg

gneVJ3o.jpg

xdoohda.jpg

XAxovAS.jpg

SNvcOcv.jpg

uySzESR.jpg

syafBDf.jpg

HCBPSBu.jpg

bLnBgyK.jpg

X4AjkGE.jpg

We often mention a particular (Tensile) Grade of Fastener. Most on the Mini are Grade 5, however, others are used, and higher tensile strength is not always best. Likewise, a high degree of caution is needed is contemplating using Stainless Fasteners as they have next to no Tensile Strength, generally, less than Grade 2.

This chart may help with Set Screws and Bolts;-

CtRyhqJ.jpg

and this one for Nuts;-

lUtx1B2.jpg

Be aware here that Nyloc Nuts are generally Grade 3 or at best, Grade 5.

I've mentioned above 'Bolts' and 'Set Screws'. A Bolt generally has only around 1 to 1-1/4" of Thread on it, with the rest of the shank plain. A Set Screw on the other hand has the Thread going all the way to the Head of the Fastener.

This chart will help when comparing Imperial Fasteners to Metric types;-

i9iWiAS.png

The old method of Specifying Tensile Grades was to use a letter, here's a chart to help with that;-

Ds7EFw1.jpg

Some fasteners in our Minis are specified by this method, eg, most of our Head Studs.

As is the case with everything in life, nothing is straightforward ! 

Spring Washer too come in different Grades (Ball Joint manufacturers please take note !!)

RB2mVnL.jpg

Most Spring Washers in our Minis are either Medium, Medium-Heavy and are few Heavy Grade.

This one is for when doing certain custom work and you need those odd-ball fasteners. Sorry, I don't know a suppler for these, but at least with a chart, you can always point and grunt !

i5byECF.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users