#1 Snorlax

Snorlax

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 07:46 AM

Good Morning all!

Hopefully I have wrote this in the correct section.

So I have just picked up my new mini and drove it 2 hours back home. 

The following day I noticed a little oil on the drive.

I had a look and found that it is dripping slightly out of the sump plug. 

So I thought maybe it just needed nipping up. 

Well I went to tighten it just to find that it is just spinning and wont tighten.

I cant see it has a washer on either. 

So my Question is what's the odds that the sump thread has gone or will I just get away with a new plug and washer?

I have had a look and cant seem to find a 1275 sump anywhere so I'm hoping this is repairable.

Many thanks 

Tim

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 03 July 2024 - 08:01 AM

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

Just to check with you here, this is a Classic Mini you have ?

Oil Leaks are common place on them. It could be the Sump Plug that's dripping, but more likely something further up on the power unit - Drive Shaft Output Seals, Gear Shifter Seal, Timing Cover seal, 1/2 Moon Seal, Rocker Cover Gasket, Side Plates (if it has them). Clean it all down, then go for a short run, then look with a bright torch all over it. It might look like something at the bottom, but that's only because the oil has run down from something further up.

#3 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 08:06 AM

Thread must be stripped if it’s spinning. The sump is part of the gearbox casing so either needs repairing or the whole gearbox replacing. It can be repaired with the engine in the car just a bit more difficult and needs the engine tilting to get enough access. Search classic mini sump plug repair on Google and you’ll find a couple of options including heli-coiling, time inserts or making a bolt with a thread through it.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,926 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 July 2024 - 08:28 AM

Assuming the 'new Mini' is a classic Mini and not a BMW MINI....?

Minispares sell this tapered sump 'repair' plug:-

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Quote:

"If you have stripped or ruined the sump plug thread in your gearbox, you have 2 easy alternatives. You can have a helicoil fitted or use this self cutting taper thread plug which must only be tightened enough without use of a washer to hold in the oil safely."

DP2 Fitting instructions:
This tapered plug must be fitted by using it as an engineering tap. Half a turn in and half a turn out again so it cuts its own thread. The plug will not go all the way in and should stop short of the hexagonal head. Therefore no washer is required. Never overtighten the bolt as it will crack the alloy casing.

Edited by mab01uk, 03 July 2024 - 08:33 AM.

#5 Snorlax

Snorlax

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 08:31 AM

Yes its a classic mini :) 

Once was a 1300 Rover now a 1275 :).

Its certainly coming out of the sump plug as I laid on the floor and watched it. 

Would PTFE tape on a new sump plug potentially work and praying to the mini gods?

Im not sure if I fancy my skills on a helicoil 

#6 Snorlax

Snorlax

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 08:34 AM

Assuming the 'new Mini' is a classic Mini....

Quote:

"If you have stripped or ruined the sump plug thread in your gearbox, you have 2 easy alternatives. You can have a helicoil fitted or use this self cutting taper thread plug which must only be tightened enough without use of a washer to hold in the oil safely."

This tapered plug must be fitted by using it as an engineering tap. Half a turn in and half a turn out again so it cuts its own thread. The plug will not go all the way in and should stop short of the hexagonal head. Therefore no washer is required. Never overtighten the bolt as it will crack the alloy casing.

Thanks MAB - would I be able to reuse this for when i do oil changes or would I require a new plug every time?

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,076 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 July 2024 - 11:32 AM

Personally I would get it fixed correctly. Yes the tapered one can be used as a temp fix.

#8 austin g

austin g

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 11:57 AM

Hi, I had the same problem ,fitted  a helicoil and new sump bolt and its been ok since , no more leaks, however the engine was out of the car at the time which is half the battle. I dont think I would have attempted doing it engine in car, anyway good luck.

#9 68+86auto

68+86auto

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 03 July 2024 - 12:14 PM

Yes its a classic mini :) 

Once was a 1300 Rover now a 1275 :).

1300 just meant 1275. Just like 1000 is actually 998 and 1100 is actually 1098.

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,926 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 July 2024 - 12:14 PM

Assuming the 'new Mini' is a classic Mini....

Quote:

Thanks MAB - would I be able to reuse this for when i do oil changes or would I require a new plug every time?

If it works in your case then you could probably use it for further oil changes but you would have to be very careful not to overtighten and damage/crack the alloy gearbox casting. Therefore I would not trust an oil change to someone else or a garage mechanic that was not made aware of the taper plug and how it works. As said above really it is a temporary fix until you can get a Helicoil inserted to do a proper long term fix.

Edited by mab01uk, 03 July 2024 - 12:17 PM.

#11 Snorlax

Snorlax

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 01:24 PM

well I am hoping not to remove the engine if im honest and want to avoid that at all costs. 

Im half tempted to remove the sump plug and try with a thickish washer in the hope that it will grab tight - There`s always hope right???

Then worst case will be helicoil. 

Thanks for the help every one :)

#12 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 03 July 2024 - 01:52 PM

I’m not a big fan of helicoils for sump plug use. Too many oil changes and, one day, the helicoil will come out attached to the sump plug.
TimeSerts are a much more reliable fix. Not cheap but worth it, in my experience.

#13 Java_Green

Java_Green

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 01:58 PM

Is there a good solution to this issue to implement before it happens? I am thinking that this is a problem we all run into sooner or later when winding in and out a steel bolt into an Aluminium casing were the threads likely are contaminated to some extent. Seems like a good opportunity to implement "a fix" during engine rebuild when the casing is on the bench.

#14 Snorlax

Snorlax

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 01:58 PM

I’m not a big fan of helicoils for sump plug use. Too many oil changes and, one day, the helicoil will come out attached to the sump plug.
TimeSerts are a much more reliable fix. Not cheap but worth it, in my experience.

Where would you get a TimeSert from and are they difficult to fit?

#15 Gaz66

Gaz66

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 02:08 PM

Where would you get a TimeSert from and are they difficult to fit?

I think it's Wurth who sells timeserts.
Very expensive if you have to buy the tooling to do it.
If you know someone with the tooling for that size go for the timesert 👍

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users