5 replies to this topic

#1 Utopian2

Utopian2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 June 2024 - 09:10 PM

Just a simple post to say that if you are thinking of spending money on a sump guard, and areconsidering paying extra for the ones with a brand name cut into the front of it.

The sump guard looks great when up on the ramps, and will hopefully give some protection from speed bumps road debris etc, but when your car is back on its own four wheels it is invisible behind the number plate, due to the low ground clearance on a Mini.

This makes the choice between a 'plain' guard, or one with a name cut into it - 'Cooper' in my case, is far less important than whether you want/need one in the first place.

Buying one which allows access to the sump plug (via a 'cut out') would seem to be the better idea.

As for me, my local garage made a nice job of fitting my 'Cooper' sump guard this afternoon. It is invisible, and restricts but doesn't prevent access to the sump plug.

The fitting of the guard does however, allow my wife to access the microwave again.

Life has so many variables, so what can be justified in one circumstance, by no means is certain to be the best choice for all.

The adventure continues...

#2 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 05:45 PM

When fitting a sumpguard it was advisable to have a thick layer of foam sandwiched between the guard and the sump.

The second thing with a sumpguard is that the cooling of the sump is restricted and often oil coolers were needed.

#3 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 20 June 2024 - 04:33 AM

If any item I buy has the makers name permanently on it I would expect a royalty fee from them for constant advertising.

#4 Utopian2

Utopian2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 12:11 PM

Thanks both for your replies.

I'm afraid it's a bit late to do the foam thing, but I think that or something similar would be a good idea.
I have read the thing about reduced cooling elsewhere. My Mini has the Cooper conversion and so has the included oil cooler, which I hope will address the issue.

And finally, I concur with not acting as a free advertising board. Mine is the 'Cooper' one from Mini Sport, so it could be worse - and in conclusion, it is, as I say, invisible on the road anyway, so it's a moot point at the end of the day.

#5 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 12:20 PM

you can get them on ebay for £50:

https://www.ebay.co....ERoC94sQAvD_BwE

has the holes in it for cooling, how much they solve the issue though I have no idea

bit of a cleanup and some spray paint, job's a goodun, and no advertising on it

#6 Utopian2

Utopian2

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 09:47 AM

This is mine:
https://www.minispor...sump-guard.html

I paid £65 new.

1 user(s) are reading this topic