Photo
- - - - -

Bumpers.....are There Any Currently Available That Fit Decently ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 17 June 2024 - 08:56 PM

Every time I tighten one up or remove... snap goes a stud.....no biggie and easy repair but my last Rover genuine one went to a friend in need  a while back and I had an unfortunate but very gentle dink courtesy of a neighbour a few weeks ago - a masterstoke of reversing managed to break a back light lens on the mini and tweak the bumper - like an idiot I heaved the damaged one in next door's skip and ordered a new stainless one from our local factors simply because it was easy to get and cheap... and compounded the error by dropping it straight off at the powdercoaters to turn black before a trail fit.......end result I use the word "fit" loosely - it just doesn't...so now I've cut half moon sections  out of it (ruining the powdercoat finish...)  to clear the boot hinges - works fine and now  fits  - just looks a bit odd - and it's annoying me...

Seems BMH don't do bumpers - so does anyone know decent supplies / suppliers that will provide something that - well .  will simply.... fit?

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,911 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 June 2024 - 07:12 AM

Minispares now do this bumper:-

BUMPER STAINLESS STEEL WRAP AROUND ENDS

DPB10166

"Genuine Mini Spares manufactured bumper from our own tooling that fits perfectly as per original ROVER bumpers. Better than the last genuine bumpers produced for Rover which is why we laid down tooling - BEWARE - most others available in stainless are poor fitting--Although many look the correct shape they will only fit the front with manipulation, but are very difficult to fit on the rear as they are kinked.

Better than the last Genuine stainless steel originals these are to the quality Pianoforte reached when first supplying Rover with the open ended bumper but see DPB10165 with protective plastic ends which are more safety critical and might well have ended up like this for homologation at a later date before the minis demise.
Pianoforte had tooling problems making GENUINE bumpers difficult to fit, so Minispares have come to the rescue again taking 2 years to get it perfect in looks and fitting with the curled end edges made less dangerous than the originals.

Best finished bumper in the market place."

https://minispares.c...px|Back to shop

Edited by mab01uk, 18 June 2024 - 07:13 AM.

#3 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 18 June 2024 - 11:45 AM

The Minispares late model wrap around bumpers are excellent and fit very well. The only thing to be aware of (in my experience) is that with the appropriate Minispares supplied nuts the threads rust quite badly and the nuts easily seize on, I've not worked out why but I suspect it's incompatible metals, threaded section and nuts in a location that can remain quite wet. I'm sure this can be overcome using copperslip or similar but definitely don't fit dry.

If they do seize the bolt section will tear out of the bumper when being removed, it's a flat headed coach bolt .... I'm sure there's a more technical term but by the time they're out they're best simply referred to as a buggered bolt.

Edited by Bobbins, 18 June 2024 - 11:50 AM.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,911 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 June 2024 - 10:29 PM

Stainless steel fasteners are prone to 'galling' or seizing which might be a factor?

#5 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 11:26 AM

Definitely rust rather than galling but I’m not entirely sure why.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,922 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 19 June 2024 - 12:05 PM

Definitely rust rather than galling but I’m not entirely sure why.

There are different grades of stainless steel and of course some Micky mouse types as well that I have seen corrode. Something to be wary about.

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,925 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 19 June 2024 - 01:01 PM

I had this issue when i first put the SS bumpers on. Got a set of A4 stainless locknuts and use duralac.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users