#1 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 28 April 2024 - 11:29 AM

I have a very negative opinion of Mini Sport UK (www.minisport.com/) and have probably thrown out every component sourced from them. There's a reason they are cheap.

I would check a list if I could still find the orders. Unfortunately it seems that many of their components other from being poor quality are actually unsafe. The latest one I have experienced is the failure of the reservoir seals in the GRK1035 kit after only two years of use. To me this can only be due to low quality parts. I have had issues with other safety critical parts too such as the ball joints.

As an example of how useless they are, they expected me to pay for delivery of a replacement flare since they sent the wrong one to me. 100% their fault but I was expected to pay. Minispares have never expected me to pay when they've had to send replacements.

Although it seems there are few suppliers of quality components for minis (or any car), it seems that Mini Sport supply the lowest grade parts possible.

They also take months to send out orders even if they claim to be in stock at the time of ordering.

Here is their response in regards to the flare issue.

Attached File  image_2024-04-28_214122800.png   175.55K   2 downloads

The orders were all done in 2019 and I now see they have increased the stupid 24 hours to 10 days which is still not good enough.

Edited by 68+86auto, 28 April 2024 - 11:43 AM.

#2 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 11:55 AM

I have avoided Minisport for years after being let down a few times but to be fair they are not the only ones selling poor quality parts, it`s the world we live in now and everybody wants the cheapest part so it`s a vicious circle.

To be fair your master cylinder seal failure will be down to the corrosion in the bore, the youngest car is now 25 years old and cast iron and water from the hydroscopic brake fluid means only one thing and that's corrosion. 

EVERY leaky cylinder I have checked with an endoscope has had a large area of pitting and scuffing that you cannot see with the naked eye and I find it quite annoying when people chip in and say that it`s a not a problem and just change the seals and theirs have been fine forever as my family and friends are sharing the roads with these people.

It`s a D.I.Y thing to change just seals and commercially the labour charge to bugger about with a sub standard job means thankfully a new master cylinder is fitted.

Sorry rant over and I totally agree there are some terrible quality parts for sale

#3 Gaz66

Gaz66

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 12:11 PM

Never had a problem (so far) with Mini sport but I did have to moan to them last year when I bought a roll cage.
The cage showed as stocked but took nearly 8 weeks to arrive.
I can only presume they get them made to order by safety devices.

Edited by Gaz66, 28 April 2024 - 12:11 PM.

#4 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 28 April 2024 - 12:35 PM

I have avoided Minisport for years after being let down a few times but to be fair they are not the only ones selling poor quality parts, it`s the world we live in now and everybody wants the cheapest part so it`s a vicious circle.

To be fair your master cylinder seal failure will be down to the corrosion in the bore, the youngest car is now 25 years old and cast iron and water from the hydroscopic brake fluid means only one thing and that's corrosion. 

EVERY leaky cylinder I have checked with an endoscope has had a large area of pitting and scuffing that you cannot see with the naked eye and I find it quite annoying when people chip in and say that it`s a not a problem and just change the seals and theirs have been fine forever as my family and friends are sharing the roads with these people.

It`s a D.I.Y thing to change just seals and commercially the labour charge to bugger about with a sub standard job means thankfully a new master cylinder is fitted.

Sorry rant over and I totally agree there are some terrible quality parts for sale

The leak is not related to the bore, it is the seals between the reservoir and body. They are not a moving part and should therefore last a very long time. The piston seals are still working perfectly. Don't worry, I am now replacing the whole master cylinder, I don't have time currently to mess around with it.

Yes everyone is selling rubbish parts however Mini Sport are usually cheaper and there's a reason for it - they make the parts lower grade than the competitors.

Edited by 68+86auto, 28 April 2024 - 12:37 PM.

#5 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 07:14 AM

I've bought a few parts from them recently and I'm very happy with the price, quality and service, although I can appreciate that a lot of parts these days are made to incorrect dimensions and/or using poor quality materials. 

I had to return some MED sourced parts due to the aforementioned points, and what is most shocking is that MED deemed those parts acceptable and were going back on the shelf to be sold to another customer.

Edited by Artstu, 29 April 2024 - 07:41 AM.

#6 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 29 April 2024 - 11:05 AM

I don't have a single good thing to say about them.

- Poor website design inc. incorrect stock levels

- Poor quality of parts

- Terrible attitude towards customers

- Bad advice given at their service desk or at shows (i've had to prevent a few people buying their tat at shows, mainly Bingley, because they've lied about compatible fitment).

I primarily deal with Minispares and Somerford for parts now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users