Photo
- - - - -

My First 100 Miles In A 55 Year Old Mini.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 steve1978

steve1978

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:13 AM

So I bought the 68 Mini Cooper

The good:
Car is in extremely good condition
After 40+ years off the road I covered 100 miles in her yesterday and it didn’t miss a beat very strong engine and ran brilliantly. Wow, third gear with the twin carbs, what a great noise and feeling!

The not so good (but expected!)
Car has no rear belts, I know this is period correct but I would like to get some fitted as I value my family life more that period correct
Car blows blue smoke pretty much all the time. I have been told it is most likely valve stem seals.
Front seat belts I am told are like hens teeth, however they are not secure so I would like to replace them I will keep the old ones but they will be boxed up
Choke has to be on the whole time, the idle is too low and it cuts out
Door hinge is a touch loose (both sides) so the door is catching when opening and closing, this has caused some paint to rub off so both od these will need sorting.
The drivers seat needs a bit of attention, clearly I am heavier than a 1960’s chap as the seat appears to have given way a bit. (original seats)
Car has when I think is a mk1 wing mirror attached to the top of the door, I am not a fan of this and I think a period correct one would be a door mounted mirror. There are no holes there at the moment so I would need to drill (yikes)
Electrics…. It appears that the horn, wipers and rev counter are not working. I am not sure if there is a fuse box on the car or where it is. But for all 3 to be off and they worked at the last MOT which was a month ago, I am thinking it has to be a fuse.

If anyone has any experience of any of the issues that I have or can offer any advise then I would be very grateful.

Thanks

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:24 AM

So I bought the 68 Mini Cooper

The not so good (but expected!)

Car blows blue smoke pretty much all the time. I have been told it is most likely valve stem seals.

If anyone has any experience of any of the issues that I have or can offer any advise then I would be very grateful.

Thanks

If it's all the time, it's very unlikely to be valve stem oil seals. Start up and overrun are the indicator of stem seal issues.

More likely bore wear. Get a compression tester on it.

#3 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:47 AM

Agree more likely bore wear, especially if smoke is worse on full throttle. Has the engine been rebuilt or does it have an unknown history? Don't worry, you can still drive and enjoy it. I drove around for years with a smoky mg before finally biting the bullet and stripping the engine down. Enjoy your new car for the summer first and get to know it. I would however pay for a carb tune (if you can't do it yourself) as keeping the choke open will also generate smoke and drop excess fuel into the cylinders which will create more problems.

#4 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Local Club: MCR

Posted 15 April 2024 - 12:03 PM

Front seat belts: I have the MiniSpares inertia reel ones in a '68 (estate). They're easy to fit (one extra hole needed in the companion box) and work well. The reel goes inside the companion box and I 3D-printed a clip which replaces the ash-tray for the belt to run through.
Wing mirrors. A '68 might have had actual wing mirrors, not door mirrors. I fitted Lucas style round s/s convex mirrors onto the door of mine (by drilling). I prefer round to the period-correct square. You can also fit them onto the sliding window catch bolts instead, which saves drilling. Or - if period correct is important (and seeing behind you isn't) - then consider wing mirrors.
Electrics. If it's blowing fuses, then chances are there are wiring faults. Consider fitting a Richbrook Discarnect... so at least you won't come back to find it on fire.

Edited by alpder, 16 April 2024 - 08:31 AM.

#5 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 April 2024 - 12:34 PM

If it is not already worn then running with the choke out all the time will not so it any good.Steve..

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,650 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:24 PM

..although the first 1/4 inch only raises the idle speed.

Wipers & rev counter might be related, but unlikely.

The horn isn't.

#7 Lplus

Lplus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 03:11 PM

Blue smoke all the time could be oil control rings gummed up/worn/lost tension.  I've seen great compression figures with oil smoke and the oil control rings didn't extend past the piston circumference.

#8 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 03:55 PM

No door mirrors were ever fitted as standard to mk1/2 minis. They either had wing mirrors or Overtaker type mirrors clamped to roof to wing seam down the A pillar.

#9 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 04:06 PM

it's possible to fit mirrors to the door glass if you don't fancy drilling the doors

4YCBJyE.jpg

downsides are that opening the windows alters the view, and the glass is likely to smash if the mirror gets clipped...

#10 steve1978

steve1978

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 07:37 PM

Thank you everyone for all your comments. I live I. The north west, Wirral to be specific.

if there are any mini experts in this area please let me know as I would like to get the smoke sorted as a priority and the belts.to be a bit more precise, the smoke is worse when pulling away in first gear.carbs appear to be well tuned. I’m not against having the engine taken out and rebuilt over the winter months though if I can find a person I trust.

it has a mirror clamped to the sea which is pretty useless, I like the idea of the mirror mounted but I also like the idea of a permanent mirror, time will tell on that

y god though, it’s a bloody loud thing, I’m sure that’s normal but you forget how quiet cars are now compared to the better times!

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,650 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 11:01 PM

I wouldn't bother about originality with mirrors, there weren't any. They'd have flogged you some, as accessories. Both door & wing types will have been on offer. 

#12 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 16 April 2024 - 02:47 AM

Check your breather system. If it's connected wrong it could be your idle issue.

#13 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 07:12 AM

If you're on the wirral drop in to ab garage by the airbus factory. He is a traditional rolling road tuner. He'll give you an honest opinion.

#14 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 07:12 AM

Duplicate post

Edited by MatthewsDad, 16 April 2024 - 07:26 AM.

#15 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 07:56 AM

I second that.

When I restored my Mk1, I went round in circles trying to find period correct mirrors and as we all know minis were personalised a lot over the years. These Tex mirrors were a very popular addition in the 60s and 70s and it is what I have fitted to my Mk1.

And yes I drilled the holes myself, in brand new painted doors, never looked back, except in the mirrors of course! :-)

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

I wouldn't bother about originality with mirrors, there weren't any. They'd have flogged you some, as accessories. Both door & wing types will have been on offer. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users