#16 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 April 2024 - 05:39 AM

Hi, having seen your photo my post was referring to the removing of the pot-joints from the diff output shaft, not the the shaft from the other side.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

#17 alpder

alpder

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: MCR

Posted 05 April 2024 - 08:34 AM

Hi, having seen your photo my post was referring to the removing of the pot-joints from the diff output shaft, not the the shaft from the other side.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

No confusion... my original intention was indeed to remove the pot-joints from the diff. Then I had a (dim) light-bulb moment and finally realised that all I needed to do was remove the shafts from the pot-joints, to allow the engine to come out.

#18 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 07:42 PM

Despite being a newly built engine, those pot-joints are just not going to release with Haynes's "careful use of a pair of levers". I even experimented with careless use, but no joy.

Are the pot-joints new ones. I replaced ours sometime back and I have never been able to remove them, even with the special tool. 

There is a post on here that I seem to remember says that due to a different groove machined the circlip ring on the end of the drive shaft will not slide out of the groove in the pot-joint. To get around this problem one has to turn the shaft a couple of degrees tap the shaft or pot-joint. Then try removing the joint if this does not work turn the shaft around another couple of degrees, and repeat until successful. The idea of this is to make sure that the circlip ring is positioned evenly around its groove and has not dropped to its lowest position. Once it is central they pot-joint should come off.

I have not done this as when I have needed to remove the engine since changing the pot-joints I have just separated them and fitted new large boot clips.

I had the same issue with new pot joints.  I still haven't managed to remove one of them.

#19 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 07:54 PM

Despite being a newly built engine, those pot-joints are just not going to release with Haynes's "careful use of a pair of levers". I even experimented with careless use, but no joy.

Are the pot-joints new ones. I replaced ours sometime back and I have never been able to remove them, even with the special tool. 

There is a post on here that I seem to remember says that due to a different groove machined the circlip ring on the end of the drive shaft will not slide out of the groove in the pot-joint. To get around this problem one has to turn the shaft a couple of degrees tap the shaft or pot-joint. Then try removing the joint if this does not work turn the shaft around another couple of degrees, and repeat until successful. The idea of this is to make sure that the circlip ring is positioned evenly around its groove and has not dropped to its lowest position. Once it is central they pot-joint should come off.

I have not done this as when I have needed to remove the engine since changing the pot-joints I have just separated them and fitted new large boot clips.

I had the same issue with new pot joints.  I still haven't managed to remove one of them.

following my most recent experience getting pot joints off i'd have to agree with the previous post - if it doesn't want to come off rotate the pot joint a little and try again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users