• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,090 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 03 April 2024 - 11:50 AM

It's not a timing belt, it's a fan belt which just drives the fan/water pump and the alternator.

#17 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 03 April 2024 - 12:34 PM

Its not even a fan belt on the MPi. It's an ancillary belt.

#18 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,946 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 03 April 2024 - 12:39 PM

Loosen the alternator adjuster ....

#19 s2ulk

s2ulk

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 April 2024 - 01:07 PM

Just to close this one out, the advice above was spot on - it was indeed a seized alternator. Oddly the alternator also has a cracked casing. So the alternator and belt will be getting swapped out. Thanks all.

#20 Aly-g

Aly-g

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Local Club: Still looking

Posted 07 April 2024 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for letting us know, not to expensive to fix hope the repair goes well.

Allan

#21 s2ulk

s2ulk

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 11:50 AM

Hi all, I have the replacement alternator and v groove belt to carry out the fix. However, I was just wondering whether, at the same time, I should be replacing the water pump since I will have the belt off for the alternator (and it’s not an expensive part at mini spares). Grateful if anybody could confirm whether it’s a service item like in more modern cars and so will need to be replaced eventually or whether best to leave it well alone if no issues presenting at the moment.

Thanks

#22 coopertaz

coopertaz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Local Club: a-series-magpies

Posted 13 May 2024 - 11:54 AM

Hi all, I have the replacement alternator and v groove belt to carry out the fix. However, I was just wondering whether, at the same time, I should be replacing the water pump since I will have the belt off for the alternator (and it’s not an expensive part at mini spares). Grateful if anybody could confirm whether it’s a service item like in more modern cars and so will need to be replaced eventually or whether best to leave it well alone if no issues presenting at the moment.

Thanks

unless leaking leave alone could be introducing faults considering varying quality of new parts

#23 Lplus

Lplus

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 01:20 PM

Thanks

unless leaking leave alone could be introducing faults considering varying quality of new parts

Might be worth checking for play in the bearings, even if it isn't leaking, Play would suggest replacement now rather than later.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users