#1 Normski3367

Normski3367

Starting My Mini Up

• TMF+ Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 05:35 PM

Hi there.

Has anyone fitted one of these dash (ashtray) clocks that has a usb and also shows internal/external temperature? If so where did you fit the external temp sensor? There is only 1 metre of lead and it needs to be well away from the engine to have any chance to be even roughly correct! I am not too keen on drilling holes in the floor- we all know how that will end up!

Normski3367

#2 Davidmt

Davidmt

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 06:48 PM

Do you need to drill the floor - I am sure if you have a good look you will find some holes  :lol: .  Maybe use one of the bungs?

#3 lsto

lsto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 07:11 PM

I ran mine out the wiring loom bung, along the wiring loom to the offside and put it through a hole on the inner wing so it sits pretty much on the fresh air duct.

#4 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 08:10 PM

But how accurate are they?

#5 lsto

lsto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 08:25 PM

It seems to be pretty accurate. Mine reads xx.x degrees. It scrolls from time, internal temp, external temp and battery voltage. You can change how long the time between each option scrolls, I think mine stays on each for about 3 seconds.
The external temp sensor does get slightly affected from the engine bay temp if you sit stationary long enough, I think that's more of my placement than a issue with the sensor. I'm happy enough with it and it's nice to have the usb charger.

#6 lsto

lsto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 08:30 PM

Here is an old pic

Attached Files

#7 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 08:31 PM

in my volvo the sensors are poking out the bottom of the wing mirrors.  would be easy enough to thread through the hinges and do the same especially if you already have wiring for remote locking and / or elec windows

not sure if 1m would be enough but is it not possible to just extend the wiring slightly anyway and in that case put it anywhere you want

Edited by stuart bowes, 16 February 2024 - 08:33 PM.

#8 lsto

lsto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 08:49 PM

in my volvo the sensors are poking out the bottom of the wing mirrors. would be easy enough to thread through the hinges and do the same especially if you already have wiring for remote locking and / or elec windows

not sure if 1m would be enough but is it not possible to just extend the wiring slightly anyway and in that case put it anywhere you want

It is quite short, that's why I poked it through the inner wing. It's away from the engine bay temp and above the ducting so hopefully out of the way of any spray from the wheels. The wire is very small so I imagine it would be awkward to extend as it seems delicate. It works well enough.

#9 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 17 February 2024 - 01:34 AM

Stick it to the bottom of the windscreen and it will be pretty accurate while driving along.

#10 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 17 February 2024 - 07:35 AM

An accurate temp gauge in a mini... wow.. none of my gauges are ever accurate..,

That must be why Leyland/austin/rover/Morris never fitted these from factory....

#11 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 20 February 2024 - 01:03 AM

What about locating it in the door hinge area?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users