Photo

Bring Back Buttons & The Danger Of Dashboard Touchscreens...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 08:50 PM

Up to recently , I have been having to ferry a lot of new cars & vans around

all the controls are different , if you are driving the same car day in day out it is not so bad

But going from Volvo's to Range Rovers to Jags ,  Seats to Fords then Nissans is a nightmare

also some cars have radio's that get louder at 20 mph , some have heated seats that switch off thru a menu

high end Range Rovers , have auto brake & Park , if someone is near the vehicle , and won't start unless you have seat belt on ,

both which are a nightmare maneuvering in a workshop 

Start buttons , gear selectors & hand brakes are also all over the place

Parking sensors on one car screaming at you when a yard away from another car , another hardly a murmur when inches away .

I just wish they got together and agreed on similar controls

Not the fun it could be

One of the things I love about classics is how different the controls are on different vehicles.  Everything became much the same by the 1990s and 2000s which made things a bit boring.  It sounds like from what you say that manufacturers have diverged rather too much from each other now.

#32 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,393 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 16 June 2024 - 07:11 PM

I personally don't have any touch screens in any of my cars, though, the missus had one retro-fitted in her RAV4. What a damn dreadful thing that is. I find I need to pull over to make any adjustments, the roads here aren't smooth enough to use i on the run and my eyes are just way too long off the road to find what it is that I need to touch. For that matter, I really don't like touch screens in general, the one on the phone sometimes works and sometimes doesn't or takes 3 or 4 swipes.

The car makers and others only use them because they are cheap. They are nasty too.

Yeap, ban them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users