32 replies to this topic

#31 Hexxeh

Hexxeh

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 July 2024 - 09:35 AM

It may tell you the Tpm on the dial at the very bottom of the face almost hidden behind the isn't it shroud.Steve..

Had a look, doesn't appear to be there unfortunately. I've ordered the combo required for the "post '84" since the car is a 1986, hopefully it's right. Fitted them over the weekend with all new gaskets/seals, but obviously can't really test it until the cars on the road. I realised I don't appear to be able to fit the MED crankshaft pulley with the lower engine bracket in place, so I've left that off and just supported the gearbox on some wooden blocks until I'm ready to fit that.

Keeping the progress going, the cars now got all the front suspension refitted and it's back on the ground. It's running Minispares EVO cones and hi-los, finding it's sitting very high and slightly uneven even with the hi-los set to the shortest length. Driver side is 10.5" sill lip to ground and the passenger side is 11.125". I've rolled it back and forth and bounced each corner to try to settle it a bit but that's all it's gone to so far. Is the unevenness a concern? I've checked the cones are seated in the subframe and the hilo, and the hilo is seated into the knuckle joint, it all looks okay. Not completely finished obviously in the photo, just grabbed a shot from ones I took along the way before going round and torquing things up.

7DAMgQY.jpeg

Also decided I will fit the 12G295 head, so I took off the existing head to check what type of pistons it has and measure the piston to deck distance, then dropped it off at the machine shop for a good clean up and a slight skim.

1i5MbFf.jpeg

I measured 16 thou PTD, so with flat top pistons I make that as needing 24.1cc in the head to achieve 9.75 CR. I didn't have a burette so I've asked the machine shop to measure it and let me know so we can work out how much to take off. It had been skimmed for a standard 998 before when I fitted it to the old car but when I measured it with verniers it'd only had about 30 thou taken off so I don't imagine it was anywhere near that. I've read somewhere that very very roughly 15 thou == 1cc, so that'd put it at about 26.3cc and 9.1CR.

#32 Hexxeh

Hexxeh

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 July 2024 - 01:11 PM

Fitted a new MED duplex vernier timing chain kit, timed the cam in at 104 degrees per advice I've read from ACDodd on various posts. Replaced timing backplate and cover with a billet ally part from RetroSport/DSN. Crank damper is the management version from MED also. I'll be running a dizzy for now, but I figured for the extra cost and hassle of changing it later I might as well fit a toothed version. The timing cover has the mounts for a sensor so it'd be a pretty easy retrofit should I decide to.

Also had the lower engine bracket/rad mount blasted and powder coated, and fresh engine mounts both sides. Wok end was a bit of a pain to do but not too bad.

HUPsPMr.jpeg

Next job is probably fit the last bits for the brakes, I've had braided hoses made up for everything because a lot of it is custom - need to fit those up and fit the front calipers. Struggling to find 5x10" wheels that'll fit over the 7.9" brakes...

Anyone know what thread the screws that hold the large square plate the wiring loom passes through to the bulkhead are? I can't find it on the usual suppliers catalogues.

#33 Hexxeh

Hexxeh

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 August 2024 - 02:06 PM

Lots more progress, though struggling a bit with poor parts that either aren't fit for purpose. Was torquing up the lower arm pin nut with the wheels on the ground and it sheared off. Went through 3 replacements that were all welded together wonky before I gave up and bought some reconditioned ones. Noticed when removing the aftermarket ones I'd bought didn't even have the dip to clear the driveshafts in the correct place...

Had a rough time with the machine shop too, the measurements they gave me when measuring the head capacity were completely implausible (they said it was 28.cc, but I know it'd been skimmed previously and the chambers haven't been ground out and still have their cast finish). I ended up having to make a bit of a guess. Bought a burette later myself and measured it at 24cc, giving me 9.78 CR so I'm pretty damn close to where I wanted to be. Noticed the chap who built the head up for me last had used one valve spring retainer different to the rest, so had to buy a new set of those which it turns out are quite difficult to find for these early type large groove valves... all sorted now anyway.

Fitted with a Victor Reinz gasket using Loctite 3020 per Calver's recommendation:

rM1rYwL.jpeg

Had some new braided lines made up to fit from the master cylinders along the front subframe, connecting up the adjustable brake limiter valve on it's stainless bracket:

aZbjLMB.jpeg

Clutch one I realised later is a bit too long so a shorter one is on the way.

Billet oil filter housing and braided transfer pipe for a bit of bling:

OxN501O.jpeg

Here's where I'm currently up to with the radiator/piping fitted:

ztkT8xz.jpeg

I'm fitting a HIF38 but I've realised the throttle lever isn't the correct one so I'm trying to source that. I also ordered a stainless alternator fitting kit from Smiffy's Bits but struggling to remember how it all goes together, it comes as a big ol' mixed bag of washers and bolts...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users