#106 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 02 September 2023 - 10:18 AM

Tesla Instructions for Transporters (see link below)
DO NOT TRANSPORT WITH WHEELS ON THE GROUND:-
https://www.tesla.co...B3F491B8C0.html

You are not allowed to “ flat tow” a Tesla in case of damage or fire.
It also seems if its completely dead (no charge) you have to have it lifted onto a transporter as you cant access the touch screen to select “ transport mode” which disengages the brakes....?

No wonder the Police, etc have not got a clue what to do with a stranded EV, they probably spent most of the day trying to understand the Tesla instruction manual for fear of being liable for causing expensive damage to the car. :lol:

eg. CAUTION
Because the windows automatically lower slightly when you open or close a door, always connect to an external, low voltage power supply before opening a door if the vehicle has no power to avoid breaking a window.

For the masses

#107 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 02 September 2023 - 05:27 PM

So if you run out of power completely according to that CAUTION you have to stay in the car until someone plugs you into a low voltage supply so you can open the door to get out without shattering a window.

Having almost reached the age of 75 if I need a new car there is no way I will go fully electric but might consider a hybrid.

#108 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 06:34 PM

Driver error 😂😂 irresponsible

#109 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 10:19 PM

I was looking at this website:  Zapmap Price Index - Average weighted price to charge on the public network (zap-map.com) as we are installing a new EV charging system at work which i'm dealing with.

At 51p per unit equating to 14p per mile its only slightly better than my petrol 2007 fiesta which works out at around 15p per mile.

If you can charge at home its of course cheaper but if you have no choice but to use charging points away from home then it makes very little sense to have an EV.  My car is worth around the same as one to two months payment to lease an EV.

If you live somewhere that you don't have a drive then you currently appear to have no choice but to pay the higher cost (although some people are running leads over the pavement of have an arm that spans across to their these of course only work if you can park near your house).

Without wanting to be devisive, outside of London most houses without drives tend to be the cheaper houses and these tend to bought by people on lower incomes (just generalising here, I appreciate this is not always the case).  People on lower incomes have less money (obviously) but will potentially be expected to pay more for the energy to run their cars in future than someone who has their own drive and can have their own EV charge.  Once again the rich get richer (or at least are better off with the system as is stands) and the poor get poorer.

The only way I can see this working long term is if everyone can sign up with their home energy supplier on an EV tariff with their supplier to pay cheaper rates overnight and then can effectivley transfer/access these rates to on-street charging near where they live.  Otherwise someone with their own drive and EV charger might pay 10p per unit overnight and someone on the street might pay 5x this.

Its a very badly thought out and implimented system that appears to have no clear plan and no real stakeholder engagement from energy companies, distribution network operators (the people who actually run the local power networks), charging companies or car manufacturers.  Typical government ******* up in my view.

Edited by Homersimpson, 02 September 2023 - 10:21 PM.

#110 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 September 2023 - 10:29 PM

The electric car market isn’t for the average plebeian.. the roads should be for the rich only and subsidised by the working class.
Working class should get the bus
Freedom of choice is for the wealthy only

#111 Readers14

Readers14

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 08:34 AM

I work in the automotive supply chain, and part of my job is to project manage new and current business.

Using the car manufacturers forecasts, we have to plan our capacity to produce the components.

About 3 years ago, most of the ICE products were being phased out and the new EV products would take over.

However, quite recently we are now being asked to plan the ICE products further ahead.

Sales of EV vehicles are indeed dropping off. New technology is being developed but not at the rate the government would like.

Electricity prices have risen, the infrastructure is simply not in place to cope with the huge charging demands.

Car manufacturers know that, the public now know that.

#112 Lowestoftmodder

Lowestoftmodder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 12:14 PM

That’s very interesting.. do you think they will extend the sale of hybrid vehicles?

#113 Readers14

Readers14

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 September 2023 - 03:15 PM

That’s very interesting.. do you think they will extend the sale of hybrid vehicles?

It is looking that way at the moment.

MHEV & PHEV are a happy medium at the moment.

#114 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 11 September 2023 - 01:20 AM

Meanwhile the general public suffers because governments cannot organise a piss up in a brewery.

#115 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 04:17 AM

Oh come on be fair, credit where credit is due, this lot are bloody good at organising illegal parties.

#116 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 05:26 AM

Oh come on be fair, credit where credit is due, this lot are bloody good at organising illegal parties.

LOL. But I bet you didn't get an invite either. ;-)

#117 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 05:28 AM

We will have to build a generating plant that runs on beer and pizza

#118 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 06:36 AM

LOL. But I bet you didn't get an invite either. ;-)

Even if I had I couldn't have gone as I was camping outside a hospital in the vain hope of seeing a very sick member of the family.

95% recovery was made after major brain surgery.

Edited by Designer, 11 September 2023 - 06:38 AM.

#119 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 10:01 AM

The electric car market isn’t for the average plebeian.. the roads should be for the rich only and subsidised by the working class.
Working class should get the bus
Freedom of choice is for the wealthy only

This is the nub of it. Motoring was initially only for the wealthy, before Austin, Ford and others enabled motoring to be classless and accessible to most folk. History is repeating itself and people will be priced out of car ownership.

#120 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 11 September 2023 - 10:27 AM

With mini now saying they will stop building manual cars and only Automatics will be produced we may even have a generation who, not only have never seen a manual window, but driving a manual will be a lost skill/ talent...

Edited by bpirie1000, 11 September 2023 - 10:29 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users