#76 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 20 August 2023 - 01:10 PM

It’s likely to start with modified street lighting, that of course is where the power supply is.

That's where A power supply is. A 500w sodium bulb not a 7kW charger.

#77 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,944 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 August 2023 - 01:15 PM

It’s likely to start with modified street lighting, that of course is where the power supply is.

But how much power actually goes to a street light??

We have now got electric cars at work, Skodas and I have to say they are bloody quick but therein lies the rub.

We go airside ( I work at Heathrow) and we have already had incidents with regards to speeding, not the end of the world just a training phase for people to realise it’s all go at once, however the charging side is a pain. We do have dedicated chargers in our car park BUT they can be used for company vehicles and personal cars, this then leads to a bit of a bun fight as to who gets there first etc. Also as an awareness we now have out Maintenance assistants check the power level of each vehicle and record it on a board daily at night, so when the next user goes to use a vehicle they will know what range it has available. Again it’s a mindset thing as you can’t just drop the car off in the car park and not think “ mmm does it have enough charge for the next user etc”

If we have a car park full of ev’s we will be screwed. I really don’t think the infrastructure could support in excess of 100 cars being charged all at once ( hypothetical scenario) again something we are not set up for much like all of the councils around the country.

Charging at home as mentioned for a lot of people is not that straight fwd. As mentioned lamp posts will be utilised but there are only so many lamp posts to go around, screwed if you live in a rural area.

IF I bought a EV (highly unlikely due to cost) at least I have a drive and I should be able to have a decent charger fitted, and I would need a high power one as I don’t always get 8 hrs at home to charge.

So first world issues per se, it it also highlights the short comings of the EV world currently. As things go on hopefully it will Improve for the better and the biggest thing ultimately are the stupidly high prices of EVs. This have got to drop significantly to enable more of the masses to be able to buy one that suits their particular needs / requirements.

#78 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,650 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 August 2023 - 01:22 PM

I think we should be making more of rechargeable hybrids. 

There must be surplus of supply on street lighting, as it's become much more energy efficient. I doubt it'd be good enough for a street of terraces with more EVs than lampposts though.

If we don't step in with public sector projects, I can't see the private sector doing enough when supply needs to outstrip demand to make EVs viable for people who can't solve their own charging challenge.

Hybrids would help with that chicken 'n egg scenario. We'd get a lot of the EV advantages, like energy recovery & ULEZism. It'd also mitigate the some of the supply & demand problems for battery raw materials. If you are 100% reliant on battery power, especially with an undersupply of recharging sites, you'll want to be lugging around contingency battery capacity. If the average car journey is under 10 miles an all electric range of even 50 miles would allow a hybrid to do just as much planet saving as a pure EV, and collectively more.

#79 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 01:41 PM

I think we should be making more of rechargeable hybrids.

This

#80 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 09:02 PM

Just to mention that currently charging on street around where I work is 49p a unit which compared to what it costs to charge at home (especially if you have an overnight ev charging tariff when electricity is cheaper) is a lot less than this.

People without a drive will be forced to pay a lot more making it less viable to change from a petrol/diesel car.

We have quite a lot of people where I work with EV's to the point that people are demanding more chargers, of course this is because we don't currently financially charge people for EV charging, the upgrade we are now doing will bring financial charging onto the system which will likely see demand for them on our site almost cease in my opinion.

#81 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 09:23 PM

I drive an EV well I've had 3 so far and I'm currently a Network Operations manager for an on street EV charging company. I've heard and seen so many people buy EVs without checking the infrastructure or how charging would effect daily travel... The network and Grid are ready for inflation of EVs especially on street lighting!! I have a smart charger on my drive and it is so cheap to charge. The best thing I did was switch to EV and I still have my mini!! Regarding street lighting there's virtually no modifications needed.. well what I can tell you about lol

#82 ThermalEvent

ThermalEvent

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:06 PM

Where does the electricity come from when everyone is charging their leccy cars overnight?

#83 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 09:23 PM

What everyone at the same time or the millions spent improving the grid and infrastructure?
Within 5 years there will be a huge development in battery types, solar power recharge and cars which can put charge back into your home which is currently being used.

#84 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 10:12 PM

What everyone at the same time or the millions spent improving the grid and infrastructure?
Within 5 years there will be a huge development in battery types, solar power recharge and cars which can put charge back into your home which is currently being used.

Pmsl
You have a lot of faith in the government and council

Edited by IronmanG, 21 August 2023 - 10:12 PM.

#85 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 22 August 2023 - 01:39 AM

No there will not. Perhaps you should read up on free energy.

#86 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 05:08 AM

No there will not. Perhaps you should read up on free energy.

I work in the industry.... Wow it proves so many people are dinosaurs and can't move on with change lol

#87 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 05:28 AM

Pmsl

I would suggest anyone that comments should read up on recent developments or join webinars or attend EV conferences that way you can educate yourself!!! Oh by the way the council and the government DO NOT make EV chargers lol

#88 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 06:40 AM

Pmsl
I would suggest anyone that comments should read up on recent developments or join webinars or attend EV conferences that way you can educate yourself!!! Oh by the way the council and the government DO NOT make EV chargers lol

I didn't say the govt made chargers.

A 5 year time frame?no chance.
Come back to this thread in 5 years and we can see how much further on the infrastructure is

#89 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 07:16 AM

See you in 5 years 👍 you might be using a hover board by then 😂😂😂

#90 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 07:50 AM

See you in 5 years 👍 you might be using a hover board by then 😂😂😂

And my flux capacitor might be charging up with a nuclear reactor in my garden.
In all seriousness there is not enough mojo from all the big players to get anything near enough infrastructure. 15 years, maybe.
I just waited 18 months to get my electric van and sent it back. Until everyone gets on board to achieve a common goal it can't happen in a realistic time frame. And I mean everyone across the world. The whole thing is pointless if Russia invade a country every 6 years and wars continue. How do you factor in that to global warming. Cant see anyone offsetting their carbon from their tanks or aircraft carriers.
I love EV. It suits 90% of the population but we are a long way away from getting it together.in 2034 I will buy my last diesel van and keep it 10 years. Then I will be dead

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users