245 replies to this topic

#241 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 August 2024 - 03:56 PM

This isn't a for or against post, more of a "we are getting rinsed as normal and things could be about to change on the P11D front.
First off the P11D, it's freely known that this is going to rise at around 1% a year, this could well be changing, I was out at the weekend and bumped into a fellow club member who happens to be a senior tax officer, he was saying that there are pretty decent rumours knocking about that no11 are looking to increase this quite substantially we will wait and see.
Now onto the "we are getting rinsed as normal bit" the EU has got its way with the Chinese EV manufacturers, as you are no doubt aware the EU car manufacturers went crying to the government about how unfair it will be if the Chinese start selling their EV's at their super duper knock down prices, thus meaning the euro companies will have to come into line rather than ripping us off as per normal. If you search for the price of a BYD in China and the Euro selling price you will see what I mean.

Shooter

#242 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 26 August 2024 - 04:27 PM

Good, hopefully they’ll be looking into taxing free charging at the workplace too.

#243 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,051 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 04 September 2024 - 07:05 PM

Volvo becomes latest car maker to abandon plans to sell only electric vehicles by 2030.
Volvo has confirmed it has backtracked on its promise to sell only fully electric cars by 2030 due to a fall in demand for battery vehicles.
The Swedish company announced today it is now aiming for 90 to 100 per cent of its global sales to be either pure electric or plug-in hybrid by the end of the decade.
It comes in response to a decline in appetite for EVs across major markets, including a slowing uptake of battery cars among private buyers in the UK.
Volvo executives said the delay to its EV schedule will 'allow for a limited number of mild hybrid models to be sold, if needed'.
Volvo's previous target, which it set back in 2021 when the future EV landscape appeared more robust, was for its entire car range to be pure electric by 2030.
However, a downturn in EV sales worldwide has seen it - like some of its rivals - put the brakes on its green ambitions.
Wednesday's announcement is the latest U-turn by Volvo in recent weeks.
Having previously stated it would no longer be selling its iconic estate cars in the UK last year, in June it said they would return to UK showrooms less than a year after they were axed.
And they will be coming back with hybrid petrol engines under the bonnet, as demand for electric vehicles stalls.
It comes after Ford recently said its own plans to become an EV-only brand from 2030 were 'too ambitious' and Fiat confirmed it has torn up plans for its 500 city car to be electric-only because older drivers don't want electric models.
Akio Toyoda, Chairman at Toyota, said in January that battery-powered electric vehicles will never dominate the car market and make up no more than a third of global sales. Toyoda said the shift to EVs is not the answer when a billion people worldwide live without electricity: ‘We also supply vehicles to these regions, so a single BEV option cannot provide transportation for everyone,’ he said.
‘No matter how much progress EVs make, I think they will still only have a 30 per cent market share.’
In May, Toyota, Mazda and Subaru committed to bring to market smaller petrol engines to use alongside hybrid technology and adopt green biofuels to lower vehicle emissions as the Japanese motor brands suggests their hesitance to go entirely electric.
Toyota, the world's biggest car seller, described the development as 'an engine reborn'.

https://www.thisismo...icles-2030.html

Edited by mab01uk, 04 September 2024 - 07:06 PM.

#244 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,051 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 September 2024 - 08:40 AM

Maybe that early Mini 'barn find' restoration project was a good long term investment after all.... :lol:

The 10 fastest-depreciating electric cars after 36k miles/3 years - What Car magazine
https://www.whatcar....ric-cars/n27076

1: Nissan Leaf
Model Acenta 39kWh | List price £28,995| 36k/3yr resale value £6425 | Price drop £22,570 | Retained value 22.16%

2: Vauxhall Corsa electric
Model Design 50kWh | List price £32,445 | 36k/3yr resale value £7700 | Price drop £24,745 | Retained value 23.73%

3: DS 3 E-Tense
Model Performance Line | List price £38,465 | 36k/3yr resale value £9150 | Price drop £29,315 | Retained value 23.79%

4: Citroën ë-C4
Model You 50kwh | List price £31,960 | 36k/3yr resale value £8500 | Price drop £23,460 | Retained value 26.60%

5: Vauxhall Mokka Electric
Model GS 115kWh | List price £31,960 | 36k/3yr resale value £10,775 | Price drop £39,735 | Retained value 27.12%

6: Jaguar I-Pace
Model EV400 R-Dynamic S 90kWh | List price £69,995 | 36k/3yr resale value £20,775 | Price drop £49,220 | Retained value 29.68%

7: Mazda MX-30
Model Makoto 35.5kWh | List price £32,395 | 36k/3yr resale value £9750 | Price drop £22,645 | Retained value 30.10%

8: MG ZS EV
Model Trophy 51kWh | List price £35,495 | 36k/3yr resale value £11,075 | Price drop £24,420 | Retained value 31.00%

9: Fiat 500
Model 42kWh La Prima | List price £30,995 | 36k/3yr resale value £9775 | Price drop £21,220 | Retained value 31.54%

10: Peugeot e-208
Model Active 50kWh | List price £28,200 | 36k/3yr resale value £9125 | Price drop £19,075 | Retained value 32.36%

#245 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 September 2024 - 02:10 PM

Akio Toyoda, Chairman at Toyota, said in January that battery-powered electric vehicles will never dominate the car market and make up no more than a third of global sales

Which potentially means 99% of a third of the global car market will be made in China.

#246 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted Today, 07:25 PM

I've got to say, I have a Hyundai Ioniq 5 for my daily use and I love it. The range is around 200 miles a charge, it's comfortable and eaasy to drive, especially in traffic and most of my miles are up and down motorways, or into London. It saves a lot on fuel costs, because it's a work lease car I pay no other costs.

I absolutely get the gripes around public charging infrastructure, but for me personally, I rarely need to make use of it. I rarely do journeys in excess of 200 mile round trip, visiting a couple of siblings being the only real time that changes. Sure I do have to plan ahead a bit more, but a couple of chargers I have found will charge at 175kw/h, so for a 58kwh battery, it's really not more than a few minutes to give me a 100 mile range (it's a bit longer for a full charge as it slows down towards the end).

I got it because cost wise, it works out well in comparison to the options I had at the time.

Want to try the 5N. That looks fun!

28 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users