245 replies to this topic

#151 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 02:24 PM

Is the 100kg of rams the sheep variety or (more likely I expect)  100kg of Risk Assessments and Method Statements?

Edited by jonlad, 04 December 2023 - 02:24 PM.

#152 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 02:55 PM

the number of times I've been tempted by a sarcastic / comedy response when asked to send over our RAMS...

#153 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 07:34 PM

You do not get a zero emissions car,you get zero at point of use.I live very near two gas fired power stations and recently they have been constantly running.Gas weighs around three grammes per cubic meter.Power station gas usage is measured in tonnes.
I am not anti electric vehicles but just own your own types of global problems.Rant over,Steve..

Ah yes, but it is increasingky possible to buy electricity from a clean source rather than it being produced from fossil fuels, I really can’t see that happening with petrol or diesel.

Edited by Bobbins, 04 December 2023 - 07:37 PM.

#154 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 December 2023 - 11:00 AM

So how do the "clean" electrons travel through the grid and only them and their mates make it to our battery?Check the green statements of some suppliers;they include an unspecified amount of "carbon credits?" as their claim to being green.There is no clear demarcation and I have no horse in the race but am of a questioning type not easily led by propaganda(or so I think,but I could be wrong)Steve..

#155 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,647 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 December 2023 - 01:57 PM

So how do the "clean" electrons travel through the grid and only them and their mates make it to our battery?Check the green statements of some suppliers;they include an unspecified amount of "carbon credits?" as their claim to being green.There is no clear demarcation and I have no horse in the race but am of a questioning type not easily led by propaganda(or so I think,but I could be wrong)Steve..

It's pretty simple in the big picture:

The entire planet's ecology is driven by energy from external sources, almost entirely solar radiation. When we use fossil fuels we are releasing solar energy from the past that had been locked away, by chemistry, along with the chemical building blocks (CO2) that will repeat the process.

Unfortunately for us that process took place in a different ecology than the one we, and the rest of species alive today, have evolved in... and the sun still shines so the energy we released from coal, gas & oil is on top of what was used in the (biological) system that made them.

If we want to keep the climate in the range that supports the ecosystem we rely on, we need to stop adding energy from different sources to the one that sustains it and direct more (green) energy & resources in to putting the CO2 genie back in the bottle.

....I do agree there's a fair whack of propaganda, from both sides and it gets complex in the minutia. Though, in the round the more energy we produce short term renewables, like wind & solar and the less from sources that add to the planet's natural supply the better. I guess that includes nuclear, it'd take somebody cleverer than me to look at how quickly the planet can radiate away those extra megawatts in to space, but it will certainly take longer & involve higher temperatures the more CO2 is in the atmosphere.

#156 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,051 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:18 PM

Is a lot of what we currently see and hear in the media what is now being termed 'greenwashing'.....like the recent Virgin transatlantic flight made on 'sustainable aviation fuel' ??

ie. misleading the public to believe that a company or other entity is doing more to protect the environment than it is, greenwashing promotes false solutions to the climate crisis.

Why the world’s first flight powered entirely by sustainable aviation fuel is a green mirage.
"To have fuelled that short hop with 100% coconut oil would have consumed 3 million coconuts. The entire global crop would supply Heathrow for only a few weeks — and it is one of 18,000 commercial airports worldwide. Following that stunt in 2008, Virgin gave up on coconut oil.
Virgin’s latest flight is simply a smoke-and-mirrors exercise to convince governments that SAF will enable aviation to continue its relentless growth on a sustainable basis – and in this, it is succeeding. Virgin’s defence rests on the claim that its new SAF no longer comes exclusively from crops. It is blended with waste products. As with coconuts, any crop grown for fuel competes with foodstuffs and pushes the agricultural frontier further into forests and peatlands, with large releases of carbon. Virgin Atlantic maintains that the SAF it uses is made entirely from used cooking oil. However, if the aviation industry bets big on used cooking oil, it is feared it will turbocharge tropical logging and the extermination of the orangutan and countless other endangered species. The real kicker is that even if all used cooking oils were traceable and sustainably sourced, they are not scalable. The US collects around 600,000 tonnes of used cooking oil each year. If every last drop were diverted to SAFs, it would meet at most 1% of America’s current aviation demand."
https://theconversat...n-mirage-218544

F1’s greenwashing shows how sport is shirking climate responsibilities

"F1 is eager to greenwash and shirk its responsibilities in the face of the Climate Crisis. Today we look at the damage F1 is doing, why its claims about net zero action are bogus, and why their greenwashing needs to be called out. While many immediately think of the emissions that come from the 22 F1 cars that drive around circuits worldwide, the cars themselves represent a miniscule part of the series’ emissions. Instead, F1’s biggest emissions come from the thousands of people who fly around the world to attend races.This figure doesn’t include additional travel for testing or PR event, doesn’t account for the ever-expanding calendar, or the prevalent use of private jets in F1, which are 14 times more polluting than commercial airliners...."

https://www.irishevs...g-sport-climate

Edited by mab01uk, 06 December 2023 - 08:27 PM.

#157 YJO

YJO

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 03:46 PM

Great to see a chain of debate on a very hot topic, without the lunatics throwing in ridiculous views.

A question I have, do many people have charging points at their local supermarkets? here in Chelmsford we seem to have none…but  I could have just missed them….or maybe it’s a case of the supermarkets not really being interested whist they can suck in us punters with cheap petrol.

#158 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 05:51 PM

Great to see a chain of debate on a very hot topic, without the lunatics throwing in ridiculous views.

A question I have, do many people have charging points at their local supermarkets? here in Chelmsford we seem to have none…but  I could have just missed them….or maybe it’s a case of the supermarkets not really being interested whist they can suck in us punters with cheap petrol.

You've missed them, Tesco, Morrison and Sainbury has them, I'm pretty sure the M&S at Britvic has points as well and they are fitting some at Curry's at the moment.

Shooter

#159 YJO

YJO

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 02:00 PM

Many thanks…. I need keep my eyes open a bit more!!!

#160 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,944 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 04 January 2024 - 04:17 PM

Even our local Lidls in Witney a twin EV charging point.

BUT this is what gets me, there is only so much shopping you can do and if you are spending more than half an hour in supermarket other than working there then?????????

#161 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,051 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 10:57 PM

Electric car sales in UK flatline, prompting calls for VAT cut

Stalled growth in electric vehicles comes despite government goal to phase out petrol, diesel and hybrid vehicles by 2035:-

https://www.theguard...lls-for-vat-cut

Edited by mab01uk, 05 January 2024 - 10:58 PM.

#162 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 04:58 PM

Electric car sales in UK flatline, prompting calls for VAT cut
Stalled growth in electric vehicles comes despite government goal to phase out petrol, diesel and hybrid vehicles by 2035:-
https://www.theguard...lls-for-vat-cut

I'm not surprised actually, I'm going to take a guess that alot of the EV's on the roads now are company cars due to the tax breaks given by the government. As a private buyer the cost of them is ridiculous at the moment, although I expect this to change once the openly Chinese manufacturers get there act together. I recently checked on the price of small city type cars, or small cars to any normal person, the EV versions were around 10K more expensive, that's alot of money for Mr or Mrs average Joe to stump up. I also looked up hybrid cars as my Mrs has been talking about the self charging type, they are no where near as fuel efficient as I thought. One funny thing that did come up and it was written in tiny writing was that if you drive a lot or miles, the good old oil burner is still unbeatable.

Shooter

#163 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 08:21 PM

I've got to say I'm not overly keen on catching a bus in London at the moment.

Shooter

#164 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 08:50 PM

I don't think I've ever used a bus in London, the tube is the best way to get around 

probably way quicker than a car anyway, certainly around the city itself

#165 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,051 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 11:04 PM

I've got to say I'm not overly keen on catching a bus in London at the moment.

Shooter

An Optare Metrodecker 1050 'Zero Emission' bus burst into flames in Wimbledon, South West London, during rush hour this morning while operating route 200 from Mitcham to Raynes Park.
The 'Zero Emission' Lithium Electric Bus batteries pictured below, seemed to be far exceeding the permitted emission levels in the newly expanded London ULEZ Zone today....
9B5bK1F.jpg

Two Optare Metrodecker 1050 London electric buses were also involved in a major fire at the Potters Bar bus garage in Hertfordshire on May 22, 2022 which destroyed a total of six buses...
sNaQknf.jpg

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users