#137 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 29 September 2023 - 12:55 PM

As this is the EV thread I thought I would relay what I saw yesterday.
At the moment I'm staying in a town where you need to cross a ford to get there, the ford is at the most 30mm deep, while having a fag on the footbridge watching the world go by an EV Kia approached got halve way down the ramp and stopped, the occupants had a look of horror on their faces, the car reversed off the ramp and was attempting what turned out to be a 86 point turn, once they had completed said turn they stopped more or less where I was standing so I asked the question, why did you turn round? The answer was a beaut, "We don't want to drive it through water incase we get electrocuted" now I could of said " no you'll be ok" and explained why but the little devil that sits on the left shoulder took over, so started to agree with all their fears, you have just got to love the human race.

Shooter

Haha superb

#138 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,054 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 October 2023 - 08:40 AM

Motorway service stations hiring staff to police surging levels of EV ‘charge rage’
"Britain’s biggest motorway service station provider has brought in marshals to police “charge rage” among electric vehicle drivers battling for access to plug-in points.
Moto chief executive Ken McMeikan warned the UK’s motorway service stations are facing growing “public disorder” due to a lack of grid connections preventing him from installing enough car chargers to meet the surge in demand.
It means many motorists are facing long waits, with angry drivers confronting staff and each other over the lack of charging facilities.
Mr McMeikan said the delays made drivers “very angry and stressed” and warned of the growing risk of “charge rage” on Britain’s motorways.
He said: “People need to drive their EV cars around without range anxiety, without long queues and without public disorder but at peak seasonal times we are experiencing all this now.”
Moto, which runs 49 motorway services around the UK, has already introduced marshalls at Exeter, Rugby and Wetherby to manage EV queues and prevent conflicts during busy periods."
https://www.telegrap...orway-services/

#139 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 08:09 PM

Okay so take Moto Rugby as an example …

- There are 12 general use superchargers provided by Gridserve;

- There are additionally 28 Tesla Superchargers provided by Tesla but available to any EV able to charge using a CCS plug;

Can anyone else see who’s driving the EV market and why what the boss of Moto says is irrelevant?

#140 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 03 October 2023 - 12:42 AM

If you buy a vehicle without doing due diligence and proper research then you deserve to suffer from range anxiety and charger rage.

#141 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 05:54 PM

If you buy a vehicle without doing due diligence and proper research then you deserve to suffer from range anxiety and charger rage.

I completely agree!!

#142 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,054 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 October 2023 - 10:58 AM

Drivers who ditched petrol and diesel to help save the planet face huge price rises in premiums:-
https://www.theguard...insurance-costs

#143 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,944 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 October 2023 - 12:19 PM

Drivers who ditched petrol and diesel to help save the planet face huge price rises in premiums:-
https://www.theguard...insurance-costs

I was watching BBC last week when this was raised, again buyer beware. All is not Gold at the end of the EV rainbow.

I can hear the old "well its offset against the fuel we are not buying" however thats not the point is it.

#144 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 28 October 2023 - 11:29 AM

American, but still telling…

https://www.business...working-2023-10

#145 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 October 2023 - 12:55 PM

American, but still telling…

https://www.business...working-2023-10

Not only in the USA, I was in my local BMW stealership recently where I had asked a technical question so was sent to the naughty seat which happened to opposite their sales office, they had left the door open and a meeting was going on, the meeting was a bit ranty and I presume it was some form of senior talking, the gist of it was " we've got to move this EV product as we have a load more coming in" bargains to be had me thinks if you don't mind your car flying on fire every now and again.

Shooter

#146 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 October 2023 - 07:45 PM

To be fair to EV cars of all types set on fire for various reasons.It is the damage potential and the difficulty extinguishing them that is the problem.Steve..

#147 Steam

Steam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Local Club: Victorian Mini Club

Posted 29 October 2023 - 01:27 AM

It is also a fact that when the source of any fire cannot be actually found it will be put down to "Electrical Fault".

#148 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 05:28 PM

I just came across this on FB,for some reason the photo hasn't come over but you get the idea. I'm starting to think EV's are a bit like the NHS free at the point of use but boy do you get rinsed behind the scenes.

Shooter

This is a Tesla battery.
To manufacture it you need:
12 tonnes of rock for Lithium
5 tons of Cobalt minerals
3 tons of mineral for nickel
12 tons of copper ore
Move 250 tons of soil to obtain:
12 kg of Lithium
30 pounds of nickels
22 kg of manganese
15 pounds of Cobalt
100 Kg of rams
200 kg of aluminum, steel or and plastic
The Caterpillar 994A used for earthmoving consumes 1000 liters of diesel in 12 hours.
Finally you get a “zero emissions” car.

#149 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 December 2023 - 07:55 PM

You do not get a zero emissions car,you get zero at point of use.I live very near two gas fired power stations and recently they have been constantly running.Gas weighs around three grammes per cubic meter.Power station gas usage is measured in tonnes.
I am not anti electric vehicles but just own your own types of global problems.Rant over,Steve..

#150 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,944 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 December 2023 - 07:55 PM

I just came across this on FB,for some reason the photo hasn't come over but you get the idea. I'm starting to think EV's are a bit like the NHS free at the point of use but boy do you get rinsed behind the scenes.

Shooter

This is a Tesla battery.
To manufacture it you need:
12 tonnes of rock for Lithium
5 tons of Cobalt minerals
3 tons of mineral for nickel
12 tons of copper ore
Move 250 tons of soil to obtain:
12 kg of Lithium
30 pounds of nickels
22 kg of manganese
15 pounds of Cobalt
100 Kg of rams
200 kg of aluminum, steel or and plastic
The Caterpillar 994A used for earthmoving consumes 1000 liters of diesel in 12 hours.
Finally you get a “zero emissions” car.

Mmm what about the fuel used to transport all of that and more for you to finally get your electric milk float?? Especially if it aint built in the good ol UK??

And as you mentioned that fuel used in the big Cats is bloody mental. Hey ho you cannot beat a good "Zero Emissions Car"???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users