83 replies to this topic

#31 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 09:25 PM

If you wrap it round with wet string and wrap it tight making sure the coils are pressed tightly together when it dries it dries really tight. You need to give the wood a couple of coats of the oil as I mentioned to stop the wet string penetrating the plywood as even exterior plywood doesn’t react well with water and make sure you start with a piece of string long enough to do it in one hit. Finish after the last turn by passing the string at the back of the wheel under at least 10/15 coils with a needle and start at the bottom of the wheel as your hand rarely touches the bottom section so you’ll never feel the slight bump of the finishing string under the coils.

Cheers Chris that all makes sense, I think I'll need about 50m of string. I haven't used Tru oil but several coats of exterior matt varnish as I've seen what happens with exterior ply when it get wet. The issue of what to do around the spokes is one I'm still thinking about 

#32 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 09:47 PM

Hi,

A couple of ideas to overcome that are :-

1 How about four pieces of leather, of the appropriate colour to match the colour of the frame, shaped and stuck to the timber at the end of each spoke. The string can then be fitted between these pieces of leather. A backing piece may be required so the leather finishes the same height as the string. This will not be seen as the string will hide it.

2 A little harder to do instead of leather how about removing the plywood at the end of the spokes and replacing with a nice piece of hardwood (oak, sapele, ash for example). This being shaped the same as the sections removed but very slightly thicker than the thickness of the string. Once everything is in place that extra thickness can be sanded down to the same level as the string. The timber can be stained/painted to match the colour of the frame. If you do not want do sand the timber down test run a string wrap on a straight piece of timber the same diameter as the wheel rim. Once the string has dried out you can then measure the new diameter of the rim and make the new timber sections to match exactly.

Love what you are doing.

Regards Paddy

Cheers Paddy, I like both your ideas, I think using leather for where the spokes meet the rim would be easier as I'm not sure my woodworking capabilities are up to your other suggestion, however I'm not rushing this so will continue to look at what was done at the time. The cyclecar is going to look very home made so if the steering wheel is a bit rough and ready it's OK

#33 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 18 May 2023 - 06:18 AM

Being a carpenter/joiner by trade I am impressed with your woodworking skills and use of the router. :thumbsup:  :D

#34 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 08:06 PM

Being a carpenter/joiner by trade I am impressed with your woodworking skills and use of the router. :thumbsup:  :D

Thank you very much, it is genuinely the first time I've used a router hence why I used plywood as I was expecting a disaster. I will say it's not quite as good as it looks in the photos but as I've said before it's going to be a homemade cyclecar and it won't be a mini Bugatti replica as I've seen on some of the US cycle Kart websites their attention to detail is amazing  :-)

#35 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 09:49 PM

Just paid for the leaf springs so they should be on their way soon with some photos of them being produced  :-)

#36 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 04:25 AM

Thank you very much, it is genuinely the first time I've used a router hence why I used plywood as I was expecting a disaster. I will say it's not quite as good as it looks in the photos but as I've said before it's going to be a homemade cyclecar and it won't be a mini Bugatti replica as I've seen on some of the US cycle Kart websites their attention to detail is amazing  :-)

In that case even more impressive. Plywood is not the easiest to work with as you have all the different grain directions.

#37 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 08:24 PM

I found a great image for a string bound steering wheel

Attached File  steering wheel image.jpg   54.36K   0 downloads

So I've had a go today. I soaked the string as suggested but made it a weak PVA solution to help stick the string to the rim and pulled the end of the string back through under several previous loops. However I worked out that I needed over 40 meters of string to do the whole wheel so did it in four sections.

Attached File  steering wheel glue string.jpg   141.79K   0 downloads

Attached File  steering wheel sock.jpg   158.03K   1 downloads

Attached File  steering wheel finishing string.jpg   130.95K   1 downloads

Attached File  steering wheel finished 4.jpg   180.37K   1 downloads

cheers Darren

Edited by JDImini, 21 May 2023 - 08:35 PM.

#38 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 05:48 AM

Hi Darren,

Brilliant looks fantastic very nice job.

Paddy

#39 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 07:00 PM

And before anyone asks the flowery sock was used to keep the 12m of PVA soaked string from completely unravelling off the bolt I wound it on and getting knotted up or dragging on the floor and picking up a load of dust and rubbish  :-)

#40 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 07:00 PM

Hi Darren,

Brilliant looks fantastic very nice job.

Paddy

Thank you!

#41 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 07:57 PM

Springs arrived today  :-)

Attached File  IMG_9464.jpg   172.32K   0 downloads

#42 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 09:38 PM

Bought some more wheels and pickled them in evaporust

Attached File  IMG_9511.jpg   195.33K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9521.jpg   183.96K   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9523.jpg   140.26K   0 downloads

Edited by JDImini, 25 June 2023 - 09:51 PM.

#43 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 09:45 PM

And did a bit more on the frame, got it lined up and drilled most of the holes

Attached File  IMG_9550.jpg   181.84K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9552.jpg   174.74K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9553.jpg   223.63K   0 downloads

#44 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 08:09 PM

A bit more progress this weekend. More holes drilled and getting the leaf springs lined up

Attached File  IMG_9570.jpg   191.49K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9561.jpg   217.67K   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_9560.jpg   170.02K   0 downloads

cheers for looking

#45 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 09:04 PM

Not much progress this weekend, although I did manage to get out to pick up some metal for the armour plating during the week from a great local company Rudgewick Metals

Attached File  Rudgewick metal2.jpg   174.23K   0 downloads

Attached File  Rudgewick Metal1.jpg   169.14K   0 downloads

I started cutting and drilling the armour plating

Attached File  Armour plating.jpg   136.76K   2 downloads

I also need to thank Jack Kerr a young local blacksmith - JK Forge for helping shape the thicker steelwork 

Attached File  Front cross member2.jpg   195.98K   1 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users