48 replies to this topic

#46 gaspen

gaspen

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 11:33 AM

To be honest I don't really understand that "two plug" idea....

I have 3-phase x 16A system in my house with C-type breakers. I have a 5p socket in my "shed" as I used a borrowed, 3-phase spot welder when I made the 1st Mini. It worked without issues.

The new machine is 1-phase only, but I installed a longer 3x2,5 cable to it  and I wired a 5p plug (1P + PE + N ) to connect to that socket.

Two weeks ago I sold my old Tecna machine, it was a 2-phase 400V welder. It has no timer, I made good welds with it, but when I welded the heelboard to floor some spots broken. I believed that the machine is bad, not me... The man who bought it teached me how how should i have used it   :D

I really regretted it and I can not find a good "old-school" machine locally 

attachicon.gif Tecna_3930_ponthegeszto_609462491952783.jpg

Hi Gaspen,

I have the same Tecna as yours in the picture - just with longer arms.

it seems we are lucky in Central Europe to have decent electrical supplies ( i.e. 400V 3-phase of decent amperage). I have connected my 230V Tecna to 400V 3-phase by just using one of the three phases. Because I this is a high current supply, where the old electric heating was once installed, with an old school 50A fuse for each phase. :rolleyes:

I have bought a cheap rod chamferer for the drill, so I can re-shape the tips to the corect size (to be welded metal thickness + 3mm = tip diameter) .
I still haven't sussed out what the knob on the rear of the welder does? Which way does in increase and decrease the power?

Cheers from neighbouring Austria

Hey ! 

I also connected my welder like you.

With the rear knob on the Tecna you can adjust the clamping force of the arms. CW : increase, CCW : decrease.

Simply you can adjust the force needed for squeezing the handles to activate the micro-switch. Or something like this  :D

#47 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 01:29 PM

I have 3-phase x 16A system in my house with C-type breakers. I have a 5p socket in my "shed" as I used a borrowed, 3-phase spot welder when I made the 1st Mini. It worked without issues.

The new machine is 1-phase only, but I installed a longer 3x2,5 cable to it  and I wired a 5p plug (1P + PE + N ) to connect to that socket.

Two weeks ago I sold my old Tecna machine, it was a 2-phase 400V welder. It has no timer, I made good welds with it, but when I welded the heelboard to floor some spots broken. I believed that the machine is bad, not me... The man who bought it teached me how how should i have used it   :D

Hi Gaspen,

it seems we are lucky in Central Europe to have decent electrical supplies ( i.e. 400V 3-phase of decent amperage). I have connected my 230V Tecna to 400V 3-phase by just using one of the three phases. Because I this is a high current supply, where the old electric heating was once installed, with an old school 50A fuse for each phase. :rolleyes:

I have bought a cheap rod chamferer for the drill, so I can re-shape the tips to the corect size (to be welded metal thickness + 3mm = tip diameter) .
I still haven't sussed out what the knob on the rear of the welder does? Which way does in increase and decrease the power?

Hey ! 

With the rear knob on the Tecna you can adjust the clamping force of the arms. CW : increase, CCW : decrease.

Simply you can adjust the force needed for squeezing the handles to activate the micro-switch. Or something like this  :D

We have the same electricity supply setup in the UK and likely it's the same across much of the world.

3 phases used together will give 415v, used individually with an added neutral and it's 240v. The incoming supply to most domestic properties is usually just one of the phases and will give a feed of 60A, or quite often 100A depending upon the age of the property. There's no reason to need 3ph in a domestic environment.

#48 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 02:40 PM

We have the same electricity supply setup in the UK and likely it's the same across much of the world.

3 phases used together will give 415v, used individually with an added neutral and it's 240v. The incoming supply to most domestic properties is usually just one of the phases and will give a feed of 60A, or quite often 100A depending upon the age of the property. There's no reason to need 3ph in a domestic environment.

I may have confused the UK with the US in that matter. Deepest apologies O_O

We need 3-phase in a domestic environment for oven, hob, boiler, heatpump or burner, charging the E-car :nuke:, the milling machine and the lathe, ... oops I got carried away :D :D 

#49 gaspen

gaspen

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:35 PM

Hi Gaspen,

Hey ! 

That is the difference : in Hungary we got 32A feed for a basic setup regardless of 1 or 3 phase connected. You can request additional ampers for a given price / amper.

Advantage for the 3-phase if there is a short circuit because of one equipment you won't loss all the electricity in the house.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users