#31 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Local Club: Queensland Mini Car Club

Posted 18 July 2024 - 12:07 PM

Even the genuine Telwin ones don't do a massive weld. Some of the cheap machines do a larger spot but that doesn't mean it's good.

Here's a useful page:

https://www.autospee...77/article.html

#32 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 July 2024 - 12:12 PM

Even the genuine Telwin ones don't do a massive weld. Some of the cheap machines do a larger spot but that doesn't mean it's good.

Here's a useful page:

https://www.autospee...77/article.html

Example of some spot welds from the Telwin/Sealey:

Attached File  20201229_120106.jpg   40.48K   2 downloads

These were far better than the spot welds which had been done by "professionals" on the same mini.

#33 gaspen

gaspen

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 06:33 AM

I discussed the case with myself  :proud:

I will use the spotwelder at the narrow flanges, where I have clean access with the machine : outer flange of sill, rear quarter-wheel arch, front wings-front panel etc

At the more loaded areas I will plug weld : rear heelboard to floor, front of floor to toeboard, rear subframe mounts etc...

I wasted lots of time struggling with the spot welder and I want to complete the bodywork before bad weather. 

#34 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 July 2024 - 09:01 AM

If you have a double socket on the wall, using good quality plugs such as MK, take a second plug and wire it into the welder plug and for safety, put a 10 am fuse in both plugs.

Don't forget to switch both sockets on.

#35 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 11:25 AM

I put a ring in the garage with 16amp sockets, pillar drill, grinder and welder all work off that ring, saves worrying about 13amp plugs getting hot or fuses blowing. https://www.tlc-dire...240v/index.html

#36 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 11:56 AM

also it's not just the amps, it's the type of breaker.. for outdoor use or anything where trailing leads might be damaged, you really want an RCBO which trips when there is an imbalance between live and neutral,  whereas your spur might be taken from an indoor MCB circuit which isn't as safe because it only trips with overcurrent

also I'm not an expert on this so further proper research required but I think the type C ones would be most appropriate as they allow more over current before tripping, which is definitely an issue with spotwelders

I would definitely lean towards one single socket at the right rating rather than messing about with 2 plugs, for one thing if someone comes along and unplugs one of them for any reason, that plugs pins will be live

Edited by stuart bowes, 19 July 2024 - 11:59 AM.

#37 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 11:58 AM

Yep, c type is almost essential for welders and the yellow 110v transformers, all to do with inrush current.

#38 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 19 July 2024 - 04:17 PM

All very well saying this but what are the electrical codes of practice in Budapest.

#39 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 06:55 PM

All very well saying this but what are the electrical codes of practice in Budapest.

Who knows, but I can’t imagine anywhere that would think using the two plug option was a good idea.

#40 gaspen

gaspen

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 07:27 PM

To be honest I don't really understand that "two plug" idea....

I have 3-phase x 16A system in my house with C-type breakers. I have a 5p socket in my "shed" as I used a borrowed, 3-phase spot welder when I made the 1st Mini. It worked without issues.

The new machine is 1-phase only, but I installed a longer 3x2,5 cable to it  and I wired a 5p plug (1P + PE + N ) to connect to that socket.

Two weeks ago I sold my old Tecna machine, it was a 2-phase 400V welder. It has no timer, I made good welds with it, but when I welded the heelboard to floor some spots broken. I believed that the machine is bad, not me... The man who bought it teached me how how should i have used it   :D

I really regretted it and I can not find a good "old-school" machine locally 

Attached File  Tecna_3930_ponthegeszto_609462491952783.jpg   72.72K   4 downloads

#41 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 19 July 2024 - 10:12 PM

If you have a double socket on the wall, using good quality plugs such as MK, take a second plug and wire it into the welder plug and for safety, put a 10 am fuse in both plugs.

Don't forget to switch both sockets on.

Definately don't do this, if you unplug one plug with the other switched on the pins will be live which could be fatal.

I knew a guy who made an extension lead with a plug at both ends so he could keep the fridge in his ice cream van running when it was parked, one day it was a bit further from his house so when he plugged it in it pulled out at the van end onto the lawn, he picked it up and couldn't let go and he ended up with a very messed up hand and skin grafts.

#42 gaspen

gaspen

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 21 July 2024 - 05:43 PM

This video popped up on YT. I don't understand a word but maybe he upgrades the machine ?

https://youtu.be/PE7...JRKWV6ptzDL6FWT

#43 gaspen

gaspen

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 July 2024 - 09:20 AM

Which one would you choose ?

https://www.kleinanz...6234576-84-3012

https://www.kleinanz...6455328-84-5779

#44 68+86auto

68+86auto

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 22 July 2024 - 11:51 AM

The Tecna is a cheaper machine than the Telwin/Sealey. It is still available new so you should be able to get parts and arms easily. I'm not familiar with Facom welders at all but that model is discontinued which may cause issues for parts availability.

#45 MiNiKiN

MiNiKiN

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 11:01 AM

To be honest I don't really understand that "two plug" idea....

I have 3-phase x 16A system in my house with C-type breakers. I have a 5p socket in my "shed" as I used a borrowed, 3-phase spot welder when I made the 1st Mini. It worked without issues.

The new machine is 1-phase only, but I installed a longer 3x2,5 cable to it  and I wired a 5p plug (1P + PE + N ) to connect to that socket.

Two weeks ago I sold my old Tecna machine, it was a 2-phase 400V welder. It has no timer, I made good welds with it, but when I welded the heelboard to floor some spots broken. I believed that the machine is bad, not me... The man who bought it teached me how how should i have used it   :D

I really regretted it and I can not find a good "old-school" machine locally 

attachicon.gif Tecna_3930_ponthegeszto_609462491952783.jpg

Hi Gaspen,

I have the same Tecna as yours in the picture - just with longer arms.

it seems we are lucky in Central Europe to have decent electrical supplies ( i.e. 400V 3-phase of decent amperage). I have connected my 230V Tecna to 400V 3-phase by just using one of the three phases. Because I this is a high current supply, where the old electric heating was once installed, with an old school 50A fuse for each phase. :rolleyes:

I have bought a cheap rod chamferer for the drill, so I can re-shape the tips to the corect size (to be welded metal thickness + 3mm = tip diameter) .
I still haven't sussed out what the knob on the rear of the welder does? Which way does in increase and decrease the power?

Cheers from neighbouring Austria

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users