395 replies to this topic

#346 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 04:47 PM

moved onto the front end.. cut away the bulk of the panel leaving seams alone for the minute..

079.jpg

I could start working away at tidying up the seams but whats the point when clearly there's a load of repairs to do and that will kill two birds with one stone

starting with these two areas

080.jpg

cut out crusty bits, cleaned up and kurusted the remaining good stuff

081.jpg

and etch primed 

082.jpg

#347 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 08:53 PM

bit of fabrication work tonight in preparation for a day on the car tomorrow 

wanted to have replacement parts ready for the nearside wing (pics above)

1st part:

083.jpg

put a fold in a piece of paper to locate where the outer lip is, that's a fixed point to work from, then take a 'rubbing' of the outer edges, draw out the shape and cut out 

084.jpg

085.jpg

forgot to actually take a pic of the cut out but you get the idea

obviously it's easy enough to get the curve along that plane, but the inner seam is the hard part.  so, cut a straight strip and used the shrinker and shaped by hand until it fit the new front end in the right place:

086.jpg

then it was just a case of keeping that in the right shape and tacking it to the the larger piece 

087.jpg

a test fit, a little bit more fettling, and a proper weld up

088.jpg

089.jpg

there is a bit of a gap there but actually I think it's the edge of the new panel that needs a bit of tapping or clamping into shape, I'll worry about that later 

090.jpg

I did weld in those two little holes after this pic, smoothed off again and ready to fit

the other piece was a lot simpler, cut to shape and put a bend in it

091.jpg

a bit of playing with the shrinker to get the curve to match the new front end panel, but I'll play with that a little more before fitting tomorrow 

092.jpg

once these pieces are welded in, if some tweaking is required later I might have to cut the seam in the back side to allow a bit of movement then weld it back up again, no major drama, but as far as I can see they'll be a pretty good fit (fingers crossed)

Edited by stuart bowes, 30 March 2024 - 10:29 PM.

#348 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 06:09 PM

fitted the two new pieces

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

both fitted well

and then replaced the seam here because the old one was just rotted out 

097.jpg

next up this bit needed replacing 

098.jpg

again no point wasting time messing about removing the piece from the old front end, just cut the whole lot out 

099.jpg

cut and folded a new piece, welded in

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

and I'll tidy that up tomorrow, thought I'd give the neighbours a bit of a break from the grinding noises

the edge blew out and the welding got a bit messy there but it'll tidy up OK 

Edited by stuart bowes, 31 March 2024 - 06:10 PM.

#349 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 06:14 PM

Also I thought I'd have a look at this suspiciously brown area on the bulkhead,

inner-wing-OS.jpg

(forgot to take a current pic before wire brushing)

nothing to be overly concerned about underneath

104.jpg

but I did take the opportunity to weld the engine brace bracket and made that nice and tidy

checked the inside and confirmed sufficient penetration

105.jpg

not sure why it didn't go so well in the middle?  but I got both ends, it'll do nicely

then because I didn't want to leave it bare I kurusted and etch primed

106.jpg

107.jpg

hopefully get another full day on it tomorrow 

Edited by stuart bowes, 31 March 2024 - 06:18 PM.

#350 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 06:06 PM

didn't get so much done today just a bit of tidying up..

cleaned up that inner wing patch, and while I was at it I decided to wire brush, kurust and prime the whole area, including the gutter along the bonnet shut, all cleaned up nicely nothing to report

108.jpg

110.jpg

and sorted out the bottom bit of the other side as well

109.jpg

then because there was some brown marks around the edge of the window frame I thought I'd check that out, and ended up cleaning up the whole scuttle, nothing to worry about there either

found the VIN number and it matches the ident plate, not that it was a concern but was good to check I suppose

111.jpg

112.jpg

just a little bit more done, couple less things to worry about 

contemplated welding in the two LHD wiper holes, but I suppose it's one of those 'features of the design' isn't it.. you lose too many and it starts looking a bit weird maybe ?

Edited by stuart bowes, 02 April 2024 - 08:22 AM.

#351 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:16 PM

off side inner wing, cut out the grot and grind off the spot welded section above

113.jpg

114.jpg

also removed piece under headlight same as near side, both bits to be replaced:

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

now, the theory here was that the little 'wing' shaped extra bits would give me something to weld out on to and stop me blowing out the edge again

but, as it turned out I got the measurements slightly off and they had to be cut off to make it fit anyway, so that was a waste of time .. but the theory is sound (I've done it elsewhere and it works)

anyway so I welded the larger piece in, just more carefully this time, and will grind that back next time

118.jpg

119.jpg

slowly slowly catchy monkey

Edited by stuart bowes, 03 April 2024 - 08:19 PM.

#352 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 April 2024 - 06:06 PM

just a tiny update, cleaned up that weld both sides and also removed the bonnet stay bracket

partly so I can clean / check under it but also because I'm still pretty set on using gas struts and I want the cleanest possible look for the engine bay

I am keeping the water bottle location though so that bracket will have to stay

120.jpg

Edited by stuart bowes, 05 April 2024 - 06:07 PM.

#353 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 April 2024 - 06:53 PM

replaced pitted section below offside headlight, same as nearside

121.jpg

linished off smooth and primed for now

cleaned up the seam and checked for any rot around by the wheel arch, no issues on that side thankfully

122.jpg

came back later and wirebrushed everything to bare metal to look for any more grot, nothing to be concerned about 

123.jpg

tidied up the lumps of weld at the top of the inner wing / crossmember brackets which looked like someone was eager to get this one done and meet his mates down the pub

124.jpg

125.jpg

kurusted the main areas as a preventative (no real issues) then went over that crossmember again with some jenolite following recent concerns raised

126.jpg

(that brown corner behind the tin looks worrysome I know but actually it's mostly just dust and muck, I brushed at it after that and most of it just came away)

and then primed that side inner wing

127.jpg

more tidying of main bulkhead to be finished before fitting front panel

Edited by stuart bowes, 06 April 2024 - 07:05 PM.

#354 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 April 2024 - 06:56 PM

pending finishing of bulkhead and fitting of subframe to check fixing positions I thought I'd have a quick look at the new front end anyway and see where we've got to

130.jpg

128.jpg

129.jpg

131.jpg

132.jpg

some minor pushing and pulling required but no actual metalwork adjustments required as far as I can tell .  again assuming the subframe fixings line up, but even still to be honest I could always adjust those probably more easily than adjusting everything else

as it turned out we ended up making a slight error and ordering the older style front end, which may need some packers (or more likely a measured and fabricated single spacer for each side) I wasn't too bothered as am solid mounting the subframe anyway so even with the teardrops they would have been solid type anyway..  not worth the time and effort dealing with logistics to return and get the 'right' one which as far as I can tell has no other differences (?) at least that's what the man at minispares assured me

Edited by stuart bowes, 06 April 2024 - 07:16 PM.

#355 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 06 April 2024 - 07:26 PM

I'm sure it'll be fine

Hope that doesn't come back to bite you...

Might be best to fit it just to be sure it all lines up...

#356 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 April 2024 - 08:23 PM

Yeah I probably will :)

#357 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 05:24 PM

133.jpg

subframe fitted, front end back on, holes line up spot on, no spacers required, literally buts up to the front edge perfectly

a lot of faffing about just to find that out, but worth checking..  also took the opportunity to scribe plug weld locations where necessary, so not a total waste of time, I'll take it back off later and that's a nice easy indoor prep job for one evening

Edited by stuart bowes, 08 April 2024 - 05:25 PM.

#358 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 07:59 PM

cleaned up upper and lower bulkhead, gave them both a coating of kurust as a preventative measure, no repairs required

135.jpg

134.jpg

primed after that but forgot to take a picture

so that's the engine bay sorted and ready for paint, can get the front end welded on 

Edited by stuart bowes, 09 April 2024 - 08:15 PM.

#359 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 07:11 PM

engine bay primered, and subframe back on again for lining up fixing holes during first few welds

136.jpg

outer sides of inner wings given a dash of paint to protect as I have done elsewhere.. obviously as usual the welds will burn away some but not a lot I can do about that, I just feel like it's slightly better than leaving it primer only. (and again will clean that off where accessible afterwards before the proper paint job)

137.jpg

I also found this decent long clamp at a good price on amazon, can confirm they are pretty sturdily made considering the cost (and obviously the free delivery helps)

and as you can see the reach is sufficient for this particular job

138.jpg

https://www.amazon.c...ct_details&th=1

Edited by stuart bowes, 10 April 2024 - 07:14 PM.

#360 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:46 PM

my method for fitting the front end, kinda working this out as I go along really but there only seemed to be one logical route..

bolted to subframe with about 1.5mm of spacers because I didn't want it so tight the subframe would be a pain to fit later.  and I'm sure when bolting it up tight the gap will just close up

139.jpg

then used clamps to locate the points just either side of bonnet opening  (all three of those things circled)

140.jpg

the rest looks a bit of a wibbly wobbly mess at the moment but I'll work my way around that later, it'll all pull into shape, got to deal with the fixed points first

141.jpg

so anyway once I was happy I made sure it was clamped nice and tight, and stuck one bolt through the lower 'ears' connecting to inner wing

142.jpg

143.jpg

I've now got the subframe out the way (again.. eugh) and can just crack on with welding to the inner wing, tidy up, then work my way around the outer wings

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users