#16 ThermalEvent

ThermalEvent

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 08 August 2021 - 05:33 PM

@Spider I should be able to start driving immediately this time round now the cam is bedded in and I have marked the dizzy position. That was another issue on first start up, as I've got an electronic distributor I was unable to static time it. Hopefully I'll be more successful this time round.

Anyone with twin HS2's on a 1330 for first start up I'd advise against the 12 flats from level. I'd measure the jet depth using digital calipers and set it to 1.00 to 1.20mm below level. Mine was set to 1.17mm by the MOT chap (he didnt measure but used a gas analyser) and plugs were a good colour before tearing it apart.

Got the cylinders honed and engine cleaned today, now just to reassemble!

Thanks for everyone's help with this, below is how the bores look now using a 320 grit flex hone. Took away as little as possible and the ring gaps are good too, all round 15 thou.

NdNKM1x.jpg

65gyokA.jpg

#17 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,330 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 August 2021 - 08:46 PM

The Hone job looks good, though, I'd still suggest a plateau hone. I use a fine grade stone for this and only needs about 4 - 5 spins in each bore. It knocks the tops off the honing that's there, so it holds an appropriate amount of oil and helps with the initial part of Running In process.

Your Ring Gapping sounds perfect to me.

If you have a single carb and manifold laying about that's in reasonable order and you have a Needle that would closely suit the spec of engine, maybe consider fitting that up while Running In, less complicated and easier to set a 'static' tune on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users