1 reply to this topic

#1 Andy1970

Andy1970

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:13 PM

OK, so yet again what seemed like a two hour job is going to keep the car off the road for a couple of weeks.

I'm trying to replace the front drum brake backplates and have come up against the following problems:

Offside bearing (ball bearings) has separated when I pulled the flange off. The outer half of the bearing and all the balls are in the hub, the inner half is on the flange shaft. Any suggestions as to how to remove them? The Haynes manual helpfully suggests using a puller, but there's no-where to grip onto. Will I need to remove the hub to drift the outer half of the brearing out?

Once I get the bearings out, can I replace them with taper-roller bearings?

Second problem occurred on the nearside. The bearing stayed in one piece, so YAY for that, but then one of the bolts holding the backplate on the hub is seized and I've mangled the head while trying to shift it. Any ideas? There's not quite enough clearance to get a stud extractor on it.

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,138 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:38 PM

hey mate, regarding the head that's mangled... how much purchase is there on it? if you're gonna usea stud extr5actor be VERY vERY VERY VERY careful... they tend to just break, and then you need a super duper tough drill bit to get it out.

i believe you can fit taper bearings...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users