#916 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 06:34 PM

Hi Gaspen,

Unfortunately, you are absolutely right. However, this cannot be undone, or I'm not really willing to undo it, so this is what my car is going to have.

I'm sure epoxy or etch primer would be the best solution, but I'm already passed that.

Let's move on and get this car sorted.

Cheers.

Victor.

#917 gaspen

gaspen

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 06:51 PM

Hi Gaspen,

Unfortunately, you are absolutely right. However, this cannot be undone, or I'm not really willing to undo it, so this is what my car is going to have.

I'm sure epoxy or etch primer would be the best solution, but I'm already passed that.

Cheers.

Victor.

https://www.mig-weld...o.uk/primer.htm

High build primer forms a thick coat of paint that is suitable for sanding. It is not suitable for applying straight onto bare metal (it would flake off). Cellulose and 2 pack high build primers are commonly used in the UK. In the US it is common to use epoxy based primer.

#918 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,714 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 14 October 2024 - 06:59 PM

to be honest your at the stage now where the underside is perfect to sort with no fuss, its your choice though, high build offers no protection or adhesion qualities that etch or epoxy does. I’ve used proxl epoxy, very nice to apply.

I’ve literally just bare metalled, rust converted, epoxied, gravitex, primer, base then clear coated my full underside on axle stands,many an hour spent, and
I know I wouldn’t want to do it again in a hurry.

#919 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 October 2024 - 10:39 AM

Hi Gaspen,

Cheers.

Victor.

https://www.mig-weld...o.uk/primer.htm

High build primer forms a thick coat of paint that is suitable for sanding. It is not suitable for applying straight onto bare metal (it would flake off). Cellulose and 2 pack high build primers are commonly used in the UK. In the US it is common to use epoxy based primer.

Hi Gaspen, Midas

This product can be used on bare metal as per the below technical sheet.

9aEQpas.jpeg

I understand that epoxi or etch primer is probably a better solution, but this is also good and indicated for the use.

I appreciate the comments, but as I said before I'm not going back and this is the route I will be following.

Cheers.

Edited by Viktor, 15 October 2024 - 10:40 AM.

#920 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 October 2024 - 05:46 PM

I bought this from a neighbour that wasn't using it anymore., and I got it very cheap, so no brainer.

dYKBxUW.jpeg

It is a bit old and noisy, but works perfectly. 25l and 2hp. That should help with the paint works.

Cheers.

Victor.

#921 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 October 2024 - 05:22 PM

And this arrived today.

VapTMkU.jpeg

It is going to be a fun weekend testing the new toys...

Cheers.

Victor.

#922 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 October 2024 - 05:37 PM

First day using the compressor and the paint gun. What an increadible piece of kit. I did some testing before on cardboard before using it on the car. It works quite well, the finish is very smooth and the coverage is great.

First I spent some time masking the area that I was going to paint, the inner wings and some litle touches on the boot floor and car floor.

DniUJJA.jpeg

FrOW6cy.jpeg

gZwA9G0.jpeg

Then I started painting with the paint gun, and found a bit difficult getting into the inner wings, as there's not much space. However, I manage to get it done with a nice smooth finish.

tCmbsV8.jpeg

HN86KeD.jpeg

B3OOoDV.jpeg

RN2CAn4.jpeg

Then I moved to the boot floor and started sealing the seams. You need to take your time doing this, to ensure a good penetration in the seams and a smooth finish.

0OlEjtQ.jpeg

jHTnasY.jpeg

RwLr6Zw.jpeg

yFB2uIY.jpeg

I still need to go over a couple of areas, but so far so good.

Until next week.

Cheers.

Victor.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users