#901 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 29 September 2024 - 04:28 PM

Good to see you back at it

Don't forget the little threaded blocks that get tacked on the back side where the shock brackets go on

#902 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 October 2024 - 03:18 PM

Received a few goods this week.

N2YFL6d.jpeg

I have a busy weekend with events, but will try to start the panel prep. Paint likely to start next weekend, exciting!

Cheers.

Victor.

#903 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 October 2024 - 10:49 AM

Good to see you back at it

Don't forget the little threaded blocks that get tacked on the back side where the shock brackets go on

Hi Stuart,

I'm not sure if I follow. Will you be able to send me a photo or explain it further? Don't want to miss anything!

Cheers.

Victor.

#904 stuart bowes

stuart bowes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 06 October 2024 - 10:59 AM

I don't have a picture to hand right now but in the last picture previous page, inner wing, below where your spit is bolted to the tower mount,,

Two holes where the shock bracket bolts on at the bottom

There needs to be a little block tacked on the inside there where the two bolts go on

https://www.ebay.co....mYaAmCtEALw_wcB

Not those ones though they're well expensive

Just thought I'd mention it before you start with any paint

Edited by stuart bowes, 06 October 2024 - 11:08 AM.

#905 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 October 2024 - 11:01 AM

On the front inner wing there are captive nuts on the inside to fasten the front shock mounting bracket to.They are approx 4 cm by 1 cm and have two tapped holes in them.Steve..

#906 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 October 2024 - 05:02 PM

Hi Stuart and Steve, thanks for the comments. Now I know what you meant. I do have the original bolts and captive nuts that came with the car. In my car on one side they were tacked to the inner wing, but loose on the other side. I'll make sure they are in place before start painting that area.

Cheers.

#907 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 October 2024 - 05:16 PM

I started on the paint to the underside, didn't get too far but at least managed to get the boot floor primed.

First I cleaned the whole area with the panel wipe twice, to make sure it was free of dust and other stuff.

jjlaIfa.jpeg

Then I prepared the room before start painting. Garage door full open and a fan to enhance ventilation.

86Nvqv2.jpeg

Next I put all the PPE in, before mixing the paint with the hardener.

6vXKeoJ.jpeg

Then I started painting applying the primer with a brush. Not the best finish but good enough for this part of the car. I managed to get into all small spaces with the brush, to ensure the paint gets between the joints. After a couple of hours going over the area 2-3 times, the result is quite good (in my opinion).

u5BNMjC.jpeg

rxJGSsf.jpeg

That was it for today. I'll try to paint the car floor next week, following the same technique.

Cheers.

Victor.

#908 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 06 October 2024 - 09:03 PM

Great step forward Victor! Good to see you with proper PPE on too!

Are you going to stone chip the underside?

#909 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 October 2024 - 09:06 PM

Cheers Colin, yes that is the plan. I will seal all the seams and then I heard Gravitex is a good option to put on top of the primer. It can be painted over in the final colour (green) for the result I'm looking for.

Very excited about getting it painted, it is a big milestone!

Victor.

#910 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 October 2024 - 06:59 PM

Back to the garage again to carry on with the primer on the underside of the car. I cleaned the floor with wipe panel and got it ready for more paint.

Ql3AK7H.jpeg

Then I used the brush to cover the sills and the tunnel so I can reach to all small areas.

uk1203Z.jpeg

4RuZgWe.jpeg

The plan was to use a roller for the floor pans, but when I tried the roller was leaving a lot of residues behind, so I decided to bin it and continue with the brush. After a while I managed to get the whole floor primed.

YP6bFnf.jpeg

nyRQcKd.jpeg

Next week I'll go into the wings and part of the engine bay. After that, I will seal and the seams and then it would be ready for Gravitex.

I was looking at electric paint guns on Amzaon / Ebay, it seems they do the job just fine. Perhaps not for the exterior, but good enough for the underside?

What are people's thoughts?

P.S. I have limited space in the garage and can't really have an air compressor...

Cheers.

Victor.

#911 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 13 October 2024 - 08:33 PM

Can the gravitex be applied by spraying? I know most use the gravitex gun to get the orange peel effect, but I think it spits it out rather than a fine mist from a spray gun...

Are you doing gravitex then colour or just going tinted gravitex?

#912 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,714 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 13 October 2024 - 09:14 PM

Looks like you’ve used high build on bare steel? you really want to be using epoxy or etch first, primer that’s zinc rich.

#913 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 08:32 AM

Can the gravitex be applied by spraying? I know most use the gravitex gun to get the orange peel effect, but I think it spits it out rather than a fine mist from a spray gun...

Are you doing gravitex then colour or just going tinted gravitex?

Hi Colin, I need to do a bit of research on Gravitex and how better to apply it.

The plan (initially) is to seal all the seams, apply gravitex on its colour and then the final colour (Brooklands Green).

#914 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 08:34 AM

Looks like you’ve used high build on bare steel? you really want to be using epoxy or etch first, primer that’s zinc rich.

Yes, that is what I found out on other forums as well. However, I already bought the product and started applying it, so not going back. I'm sure this, although not ideal, it is better than the factory paint applied in 1976.

Thanks.

#915 gaspen

gaspen

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 14 October 2024 - 12:39 PM

Well, well... I am not sure that a high build primer is what you need on the floor  O_O

High build primer gives a thicker layer which they use to fill the little imperfections on the body and you can sand it for a smooth surface.

The 1st layer on bare metal should be 2k epoxy or etch primer, followed by the stone chip protection

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users