#1 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

hey,

Since i had this idea i have learnt quite a bit so i wont be borring you will questions which have probably been asked a fair few times. Right my main idea started off just woundering if it could be done and since then it has developed into a possible idea.

Right i have been looking into getting a 1275 reored out to a 1330. I wanted to go for a 1330 for the reasons of insurance as a 1330 is classed as a 1.3 and a 1380 is classed as a 1.4 so therefore more on insurance. I asked this question on a subforum on another site to save me posting up on here and a pretty exsperianced lad was telling me that i would be better of going straight for a 1380 which he had done. I am now stuck with the dilema of chossing to get my engine rebored to either a 1330 or a 1380?

Another one of my worries was if i could bore my 1275 to a 1330/80 safely? I was told by the same lad that it should be ok but i would like to have more than one persons word for it! I was also a bit concerned that if i went straght to 1380 and then the engine blew or cracked i would not be able to rebore the engine again and it wouldnt be all to clever putting in a sleve on a cracked block.

They are my main questions for the moment but then i will be looking at what components are best to be run with each engine like what cam, pistion pistion rings ect ect would be best.

Any advice would be very apreciated!

Tomm

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:18 PM

As for the 1380 wear/crack/blown up thing, blocks are not that rare at the moment to wory about, just find another and start again. You can pick up 1275 blocks for around £30 these days, that is unless you have an MPI, in which case there is an issue already.

Offset boring is a good idea as it keeps the bore walls more eveb thickness. Theres always a chance that any block will be porous at that bore diameter, but that can be said for any bore size. I am happily running a 74mm bore, which is considered a little dodgey these days.

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 31 October 2006 - 04:21 PM.

#3 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

haha, no none of thie mpi poo, thats still 100 odd on a rebore and 30 on a block down the drain, id rather not and also it will be quite a bit of hasstle but i can see your point!

Thanks, Any idea where to get a 1275 block from?

#4 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:25 PM

put a wanted on here, it's a same cause I just sold a bare 1275 block

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

£100 is a bit steep mate!

I paid £80 for the offset 74mm bore and i warned him that he may find fresh air, he wasnt bothered

#6 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

Damn always works like that hey geuss works.

So if i was to go ahead with this what would i be better of doing a 1330 or a 1380? I can see a 1380 being better performance wise and i dont what to fork out for a 1330 and then 6 months later think ah damnit wish i got a 1380. But then again i downt want to fork out for a 1380 and it go caput and me be outta pocket (eventhough it isnt alot to get it replaced)

Thanks for your help so far guys!

Tomm

Damn always works like that hey geuss works.

So if i was to go ahead with this what would i be better of doing a 1330 or a 1380? I can see a 1380 being better performance wise and i dont what to fork out for a 1330 and then 6 months later think ah damnit wish i got a 1380. But then again i downt want to fork out for a 1380 and it go caput and me be outta pocket (eventhough it isnt alot to get it replaced)

Thanks for your help so far guys!

Tomm

#7 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

Assuming you have a complete 1275 unit already, go for a kit from MED or Morspeed etc (you need parts of the 1275 to exchange).

I looked into the costs of doing a 1275 - 1380 conversion and its actually cheaper to get a kit than it is to have the engineering work done and buy all the components serperately, purely the engineering work that you need doing would cost around the £500 mark, then you need to buy pistons etc.

Getting the engineering done on the cheap isn't a good idea as it needs to be spot on with a performance motor, otherwise you'll end up with a useless pile of bits !

Ideally you want a kit that includes a flywheel/clutch assembly as this needs to be balanced at the same time as the crank/rods etc.

#8 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

No i dont have a 1275 unit at the minute mate! I think i would prefer to buil the engine myself withought the kit for many reasons, Mainly because i would get more of a choice of parts and at the moment i do not know enough to go flying into it. If i did do the conversion i think i would prefer to buy the components seperately.

I have a vauge idea of what parts i would need to replace if i started with a standard 1275 unit but could some one just give me a vauge idea?

Tomm

Edited by tomm, 31 October 2006 - 04:42 PM.

#9 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,138 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:14 PM

pistons+rings+all associated bearings. Whilst the engine's split you might as well replace the oil pump too.

That's the bare essentials the rest is the same. if it's JUST a rebore you want.

I'd recommend either going 1293 or 1330,... just incase, it pays to be hasty and to plan ahead, and as everyone sais, if you get a damaged block, there's still a couple of rebores left in it to play with.

#10 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:21 PM

i was going to say there isnt a huge difference in performance between a 1293 and a 1330!! jsut a little tiny bot of torque!! plus the 1293 will have a large amount of its original integrity without the worry of offset boring!!

#11 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:08 PM

go for 1360cc to be different. 73mm pistons

#12 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

I'd recommend either going 1293 or 1330,... just incase, it pays to be hasty and to plan ahead, and as everyone sais, if you get a damaged block, there's still a couple of rebores left in it to play with

thats what i was thinking

i was going to say there isnt a huge difference in performance between a 1293 and a 1330!! jsut a little tiny bot of torque!! plus the 1293 will have a large amount of its original integrity without the worry of offset boring!

i was initialy thinking of just going for a 1293 but then thought if i was going to di it i should go all the way and get either a 1330 or 1380 butlike you say there isnt much differance bettwen 1330's and 1293's

go for 1360cc to be different. 73mm pistons

Whats it like to get parts for 1360's?

I dont think i would get a 1360, I think i would chose a 1380 over it.

THanks a LOT for your help guys!

#13 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:39 PM

73mm pistons are new on the market from minispares.

this way if required you can go to 1380 in the future!!

apart from the pistons all the parts are the same

#14 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:04 PM

i have decided to go for a 1330 and then maybe a few years down the line i could get a 1380!

What pistions should i be looking for for a 1330? I need to start making a list of things to get engine wise!

Tomm

#15 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

+60 thou, 0.060"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users