564 replies to this topic

#466 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 July 2023 - 11:32 AM

Started the strip down on the radiator side of the engine, fair amount parts need removing to get to the timing cover and plate..

53031117231_30844d9fb4_b.jpg

#467 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 July 2023 - 07:45 PM

Timing plate removed and I decided to remove the powder coating incase this is a possible cause for a leak. Once fully removed I flattend it back with wet/dry & wd40 to get a good flat surface for gasket.

I also removed the head to replace the copper gasket with a Victor reinz type gasket. This also gave me an opportunity to inspect the bores, all looking pretty good. There was a small amount of water and gunk in blank hole close to the waterway hole near water pump, so not sure if this was going to fail at this point sometime down the line.

Having trouble finding any torque specs or sequence for this type of head gasket, is it just the same as a normal copper one?

53032201749_b6a4530482_b.jpg

Hopefully get it all back together tomorrow...

#468 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 09 July 2023 - 11:16 AM

What prompted the partial stripdown?

#469 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 12:40 PM

An oil leak that I initially thought was coming from tappet chest covers, but after swapping those it still leaked 😭

#470 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 12:55 PM

Timing chain and cover back on now, also new fuel pump installed. Not much more to put back on and hopefully that will be the leak sorted....🤞🤞

53032944622_7f90d6c586_b.jpg

#471 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 09 July 2023 - 01:44 PM

An oil leak that I initially thought was coming from tappet chest covers, but after swapping those it still leaked 😭

Ah, I'm still chasing one of those as well. Its an occaisional droplet, not enough to directly see where from, enough to annoy me!

Edited by Spherix, 09 July 2023 - 01:45 PM.

#472 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 09:34 PM

Got it all back together this evening, just need to put front passenger wheel back on and pull it out of the shed.

53039736415_3feb53536a_b.jpg

Managed to lose a bolt from engine mount, had another one to hand, eventually found it tucked under the trolley jack once everything bolted back in and jack was moved...

#473 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 09:42 PM

Started engine and ran it for a minute without coolant yesterday morning, then let it sit til evening before re-torquing head nuts. Got wheel back on and was giving the underside of the engine another clean, then noticed a drip forming on the jiggle pin on flywheel housing...which led to this scenario this evening...

Small weep from bottom side of the primary seal...

53043902586_9f82d1a0f2_b.jpg

Primary gear and seal removed, cleaned up housing ready for new seal to go in tomorrow evening...

53044287635_32213a4904_b.jpg

3d printing a seal installer tool that will hopefully help get the seal in the correct place, then get it all back together AGAIN.....

We are down to 6 weeks to go for baby no2, so times running out to get out and enjoy the car before I become sleep deprived....

#474 Designer

Designer

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 14 July 2023 - 06:11 AM

Hi,

I had the exact same problem on my daughter's 1988 Mini Designer even though I had replaced the seal. On closer inspection I could see that there was a very thin gap between the seal and the crankshaft. This gap was wider at the top than at the bottom and the gap from side to side could be altered, so it turned out that the Primary Gear Bearings had worn so just replacing the seal was not going to solve the problem.

So before putting it all back together I would check the Primary Gear float clearance.

Paddy.

Edited by Designer, 14 July 2023 - 06:19 AM.

#475 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 09:31 PM

3d printed seal tool done the trick, nice and even square push on the seal til it's home.

53046025911_6331ffc4de_b.jpg

And all reassembled AGAIN....If it still drips oil it will have to wait til over the winter....

53046207774_88ea03fe80_b.jpg

#476 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 09:29 PM

Took it out for a local vintage run today, 5km to the starting point and engine temp had risen to 110degs. Let it cool down while waiting for run to start, topped it up with plain water and it ran at 95c. No sign of dripping from clutch side, small drip forming on radiator side but nothing dripped down onto concrete after I parked up at home, so fingers crossed its sorted.

53050640216_8394758860_b.jpg

Next outing is Mourne Mini Clubs annual show in Newcastle Co.Down in 2 weeks, a few minor jobs to be done by then

- Bumpers need to be dulled on the bottom edge, they are very sharp and too easy to slice yourself open on them. There's also 1 of the bolts that has strip some thread, so will try to get a new one welded in.

- Dash liner on drivers side needs more insulation, I've added a layer of closed cell foam to passenger side and it really has lessened the noise into the cabin, so need to repeat this on drivers side, then tidy it up with some leatherette vinyl

- inlet/exhaust manifold gasket needs replacing as its blowing a bit, I damaged it when putting the head back on but must have damaged it too much and is now blowing.

- Headlights and wheel alignment still need doing, it's tracking much better now that I've adjusted it to be wheel straight to go straight, but just want to get it done properly to reduce wear and tear.

#477 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 July 2023 - 07:34 PM

Bumpers done today, finger power file then a run down with 320. Gave the backs of them a spray paint, then 2 coats of stonechip.

53057638196_59b35db290_b.jpg

Exhaust gasket arrived today, so will get that sorted the weekend.

#478 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 09:14 PM

Got the bumpers back on this evening, very awkward to get rear one on, it fowls on the boot hinges - guess this is due to it being non genuine...

Also got the exhaust gasket done, some more antifreeze added to coolant to strengthen it up and dashpot oil swapped out for some 3in1 oil.

#479 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 08:29 PM

Drove the car to work on Friday, just to check on coolant/Engine temp, all seemed fine. Nothing to report on the oil leak, so thankfully that seems to be rectified. Rocker cover gasket seems to be weeping, I'm going to get a silicone one and maybe even go for a alloy cover.

Noticed a slight blow from manifold to down pipe clamp, due to pushing the carb back to get the exhaust gasket in place, loosened it off and some more paste on the joint and tightened it back up this evening.

We had constant heavy rain from Friday evening to Sunday night, and didn't get home in time before the rain started on Friday to get the cover on it, so it's been getting soaked, thankfully theres nothing getting in to the interior or boot.

Edited by colinf1, 24 July 2023 - 08:30 PM.

#480 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 07:15 PM

Had a great day out at the Mourne Mini Club annual show. 150km round trip, pretty happy with how it went, no major issues, a shade hot on the motorway on way home, but once it was back on minor roads temp settled back down to 90c.

A good bit of work needed to be done yesterday, was concerned about it getting too hot on Friday 110c, so stripped radiator out and flushed everything out, swapped to a 74c thermostat. Took off carb and reset fueling to base line settings (2 turns clockwise after setting it flush with bridge) the all back on to discover a leak on some rubber hose and bowl to jet pipe leaking. Swapped out for a good one, then had to steal a bit of rubber pipe from the bowl overflow as I didn't have anything else.

Lots of really nice minis on show, weather was good until an hour before it finished and hasn't stopped rain since...

53081933496_4fc0d2e712_b.jpg

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users