568 replies to this topic

#406 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 10:25 PM

A 3d printed bracket to secure the binnacle to the bulkhead, offset to pickup on the captive nuts for the blanking plate. It's really steady now, just some foam insulation needed to fill the gap and reduce noise transfer...

52881996171_42981f9bef_b.jpg

Also put the original bulkhead sound deadening mat in, had to reshape it for the oval binnacle, tachometer mocked up in rough location.

52882369780_0d0864f3f1_b.jpg

Made up some card templates for parcel shelf and door bin covers, hopefully get some made up tomorrow.

#407 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 10:04 PM

Got the lower dash rail liners cut out and wrapped in vinyl this evening...

52884228097_7320abfdf4_b.jpg

Also got the rear number plate on, bit tricky due to the location of the holes, having them centred across the plate would mean the screw would have to go through the Z, so dropped it down slightly to avoid this.

52884228002_02731d69f5_b.jpg

Drivers door window is really stiff to wind up or down, so may have to remove door card again to see what's going on

#408 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 09:07 AM

Made a start on the engine install, using the bracket show here...

and the lifting bracket;

Page-1_zps8882b196.jpg

Lifting Bracket in use;
133_3353.jpg

Up she goes..left it sitting for a few minutes to make sure bracket was holding firmly..

52888925393_c68c3ab9c7_b.jpg

And in,

52888925388_caef98f92a_b.jpg

But...I used engine mounts with the captive nuts and they started to spin when I went to tighten them, I could get one side lined up but then was still out on other side. I have other mounts without the captive nuts, I'm going to lift the engine slightly and swap them out and try again...

#409 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 10:29 PM

Attempt #2...

Lifted the engine up a few inches to allow access to the engine side bolts, bit fiddley but got them out and new mounts on both sides, dropped it down and lined up pretty much straight away, small bit of prying but much easier than other mounts.

Then the struggle to get the bolts in from the inside of engine began, but got them in with some narrow vice grips and a telescopic magnet wand.

52890606600_1fcbc3ab96_b.jpg

And put these where they belong...

52890673938_e559f39bd1_b.jpg

#410 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 12 May 2023 - 07:33 AM

Looking great! I fear for my engine mounts now as they are the same type. I suppose you got lucky it spun during installment and not removal...

#411 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 08:36 AM

If you have them installed already I'd say they are fine, you can still get a spanner on the nut if it does spin. The captive nut protrudes 1mm from the mounting face so that was making it harder to get them installed too.

#412 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 06:23 PM

Exciting! :)

#413 70K1100

70K1100

Formally Known as NOT850

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 09:39 PM

I’ve read a few posts that people have had trouble with the engine mounts with the captive nuts.

#414 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,196 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 May 2023 - 09:57 PM

Attempt #2...

Lifted the engine up a few inches to allow access to the engine side bolts, bit fiddley but got them out and new mounts on both sides, dropped it down and lined up pretty much straight away, small bit of prying but much easier than other mounts.

Then the struggle to get the bolts in from the inside of engine began, but got them in with some narrow vice grips and a telescopic magnet wand.

52890606600_1fcbc3ab96_b.jpg

And put these where they belong...

52890673938_e559f39bd1_b.jpg

Next time use a fork.

uhc30Wk.jpg

#415 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 06:47 PM

Spent most of the under the car, driveshafts in and boots on securely, gear lever and rods put on. Had to remove the exhaust hanger bracket to get the roll pin in, got a little leak from diff housing but hopefully now that it's all bolted back on it will be fine. Basic string alignment done then front wheels back on

Then started on the exhaust fitting, just going standard 998 from minispares. Got genuine rover fitting kit, but a good few of the bolts spun on fine then would cross thread after a few turns. It's half on now, but its pushing the engine forward that I can't get the bulkhead steady in place, so I've loosened it all off again and will have another go tomorrow evening.

52898065690_6728ba679b_b.jpg

#416 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:58 PM

Got a wiring diagram printed off at work, A3 enlarged over 8 more A3 pages and stuck up on the shed wall. Much easier than flicking between pages in Haynes manual.

Over the last 2 evenings I got most of the wiring connected up, then chasing some gremlins that appeared when I hooked up the battery. Headlight switch only worked sometimes, so took that apart and cleaned the internals, same with the hazard switch. The bulb on the hazard is only working sometimes, the hazards all worked then drivers side stopped for some reason, gonna take a look at the switch connector. Rear lamps had brake and marker light mixed up on drivers side, sorted now, then no side lights, wire from fuse box connection had started to fray, new connector sorted that...

52903851063_fd55cf31fa_b.jpg

52902830107_1eebd97567_b.jpg

Surely these should be brighter...?
52903403286_31834cdb57_b.jpg

Also got washer pump and bottle on, motor needed a little persuasion to kick into life.

I need to look at the resistance wire for coil, part of it has been cut and replaced, so may replace it entirely and use the resistor that comes with the illumination coil.

#417 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 09:43 PM

Good few jobs ticked off the to-do list today.

New park switch fitted to wiper motor, motor fitted, arms removed and set to correct park position. All working nicely!

Fuel tank fitted, captive nut spun and broke the captive cage, so had to revert to getting a nut sitting in the ring end of a spanner and carefully lowered into place. Fuel pipe all connected.

Exhaust clamps removed, had the middle and rear brackets mixed up which was pulling it to the right, swapped around and all clamped in tightly. Bracket from the diff housing was too far away to pickup, but its very steady as it is.

Carb bolted back on, accelerator cable attached. Need to find the retainer for the choke cable. Upper and lower engine steadies installed.

Routed some heater pipe through bulkhead to matrix, but its kinking a tad too much as it bends to go onto the matrix.

Parcel shelf lining made and covered in vinyl, some vinyl covering on the wheel arches. Have a set of rear static seat belts to fit, so need to take trim panels off to get hole location a C pillar.

Lowered car to the floor, first time in nearly 3 years it was on its wheels. Hopefully the ride height settles down, bit high at the moment with new cones.

52912552856_21e46d76bf_b.jpg

#418 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 04:58 PM

Nice work! You have a SUV there! Lol ;)

#419 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 09:20 PM

Yes, very high indeed. Hopefully it will go down a bit...

A few more jobs done today, got the excess of the battery cable tidied up, it was getting pinched on the rear subframe, so had to undo the subframe slightly and wiggle it over a bit. Then trimmed it to length and the bit I cut off was enough for solenoid to starter motor.

Got brakes and clutch bled, with the help of my wife, perfectly suitable job for 6 months preggers :P
No sign of any weeping leaks, so hopefully it's all good. Clutch throwout also adjusted.

Hose connected to heater matrix, just the return hose to connect now.

Horn swapped out, original one wasn't showing any sign of life, and the spare was a 2 connector one, so made a small earth and connected it up.

Big tidy up done in shed, all tools sorted and bench cleared. Need to make up a choke cable connection as it wasn't attached when I got the car.

Dizzy cap attached and leads onto plugs, but still need to rotate then engine to find No.1 on rotor arm.

Nearly ready to start it...

52915533718_7c5bded5c6_b.jpg

#420 Viktor

Viktor

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 12:17 PM

Looking good. Which trim are you going for along the wheel archs?  the chrome one?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users