That's just tragic

#77 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:34 PM

Oh no!Did you have it on a classic policy?

#78 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:35 PM

So sorry to see that image. I hope it works out for you.

#79 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:42 PM

A nightmare!

#80 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 17 April 2021 - 06:09 PM

It's a crap situation for sure... just hoping to get the best possible outcome now. In an ideal world it'll sail through the whole process and get repaired quickly to a high standard (we'll see how realistic that turns out to be!), and at least I'm fortunate enough to have another Mini to enjoy while it's off the road.

#81 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 07:15 PM

If it’s written off buy the salvage - it’s definitely repairable

#82 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 10:02 AM

If it’s written off buy the salvage - it’s definitely repairable

Yeah I've already expressed an interest in buying the salvage in the event they deem it a write-off - hopefully it doesn't come to that and they're willing to just get it repaired, but we'll see what happens I suppose.

#83 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 01:03 PM

So sad to hear this, enjoyed reading along with your adventures, as the last time I used a Mini daily was between 2006 and 2009, with a 32 mile daily commute.

Definitely repairable!

Given that the topic is about your daily driver I'd say two things are essential if you are driving a Mini daily - a high level brake light, and agreed value insurance so that the car doesn't get written off by something like this.

#84 colinf1

colinf1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 02:05 PM

Gutted for you, but at least it wasn't the NZ mini...

Hopefully you can get it sorted quickly and painlessly...

#85 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 02:24 PM

Was having a closer look at the damage this morning, and found this pretty interesting. Underneath the Nordic Blue paint which had chipped off from the impact to the boot lid, it was clear there was a brighter more teal-coloured metallic blue underneath.

hXD9ocT.jpg

Also seen here on both sides of one of the bits of paint that chipped off...

Gn91QV3.jpgJdbgyiA.jpg

I know that Mini Neons were supposed to originally have been Caribbean Pearlescent Blue, then changed to Nordic Blue due to quality issues with the paint. So I'm wondering if this actually may have originally been painted Caribbean at the factory, then repainted in Nordic before ever being sold at the dealer - there's nothing to suggest this boot lid was ever replaced since 1991, and the car is listed as Nordic Blue (JQV colour code) on the chassis plate.

#86 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 18 April 2021 - 02:53 PM

Is the Caribbean on the body, too. It may just have been a shortage of Nordic Blue boot lids at the Factory.

#87 some1158

some1158

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:08 PM

Wikipedia suggests one car actually was sold in Caribbean Pearlescent blue, so others may have been done in that colour and resprayed as you suggest. Certainly seems plausible - my aunt and uncle had a brand new MG Maestro in 1989 which came from the factory in red but had actually started off white before being resprayed and sold...

#88 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,697 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 18 April 2021 - 06:26 PM

Neon jqv nordic blue is completely different to studio 2 nordic blue, it’s a great colour but also a right pain the match.

I reckon in the last 30 years it’s already had a rear end impact and replacement brg used replacement lid, paint shouldn’t chip off like that. Seeing as it’s just the boot lid, poor prep before. You’d have seen it on the floor pans when doing the seats and underneath in the cavitys.

Gutted for you and don’t let the insurers take it - seriously. Stand your ground and fight otherwise they’ll try to cat c it.

Edited by Midas Mk1, 18 April 2021 - 06:29 PM.

#89 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 06:28 PM

It looks like racing green to me... It's maybe just a replacement boot lid that's been fitted and sprayed to match?

#90 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:04 PM

It's been captured quite poorly on my phone camera but it's definitely not BRG and I'm 99% certain it's Caribbean, it matches perfectly by eye to the colour of the little "Neon" badge in the middle of the original steering wheel. Of course it's quite possible this is actually a replacement bootlid which was originally from a car which happened to be in that colour blue, I guess for me it seemed too coincidental for that to have been the case though. Might be interesting to do a bit of digging under the carpets etc and see if there's any trace of anything other than Nordic blue.

Either way the main thing now is to try and deal with the insurance guys and hope for a good outcome... with the level of damage the impact has inflicted it's likely it'll be written off, but I've already expressed a keenness to keep the car to them, so fingers crossed.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users