Photo
- - - - -

does my front suspension look a bit low??

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 adcyork

adcyork

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:13 PM

this is my 1990 mini studio 2. I was wondering wether the front suspension looked a bit low? The back looks the right height but the front doesn't. I couldn't get my trolley jack under the sump today and wondered why. So i carried on and just had it up on the jack around the side and had both front wheels off the floor. When i let it down and took the jack out i noticed that the front suspension didn't seem quite so low and when i tried the trolley jack under the sump it fit under easily and had enough space for a block of wood too. About 10 minutes after letting it down off the jack again the car seemed to be too low again. Why would this be? Is it something to do the rubber cones?

this is the car in question pictured when it seemed too low:

Attached Files

Edited by adcyork, 20 October 2006 - 11:15 PM.

#2 Austin

Austin

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:24 PM

When a mini has been jacked up, the suspention has to 'settle' again. This is normal. The front of your mini looks quite low, have a look if there is any clearance between the top suspention arm and the bumpstop, if so then it should be ok. You should not jack the car up using the sump, as this can damage the engine mounts and break the fins off the sump. It is always best to jack up a mini using the subframe wherever possible, as the sills are not that strong either. :proud:

#3 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:24 PM

a car will always sit high after it's been on the jack and will settle with time.

hard to tell from the angle of the photo but it does look low. all the rover minis from this time are so heavy at the front because of all the stuff like the servo and most are now sitting rather low.

best thing is to fit new cones and if you want to play around with the ride height fit high-lows.

don't just fit the high-lows to compensate for the worn cones :'(

#4 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:26 PM

its perfectly normal. Youve jacked the car up and released the tension off the suspension components, which has settled back down to normal when youve removed the jack, nothing to worry about.

You cant get the jack under the sump of most minis (im sure someone will say they can ;D ) but you shouldnt jack it here anyway as you'll damage the engine mounts and risk seriously damaging the gearbox.

jack it on the widest part of the subframe either side of the gearbox :proud:

#5 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:08 AM

you could have a look under the front (without jacking the car), look, at how close the top arm is to the bump stop.. .mine was resting on it when it looked that low :proud:

#6 adcyork

adcyork

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:14 AM

and is it just a case of new cones if its sitting on the bump stops? how hard are they to fit?

#7 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

not really hard to fit, fiddly is the word to use. you need to get / borrow a compression tool.

as long as everything else is OK (not bent) i would suggest changing these first and fitting high lows if you can afford it. (with new cones fitted the car will sit really high for a while).

set the high lows to the same length as the standard trumpets and allow a couple of weeks for things to settle.

then you can adjust the ride height as much as you please.
remember to adjust in small amounts and let things settle again, it can take a while to get the height you want.

a good tip to get the high lows set even it to measure the length of the exposed thread.

edit: it's actually easy to fit the front cone when using high lows because you can wind them in to there shortest length, fit them to car and then open them out to the length you want. (remember to mark the length you want them at in some way when they are off the car)

Edited by THE ANORAK, 21 October 2006 - 09:25 AM.

#8 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

well definitely something is gone if it's on the bump stops
cones or knuckles (which can wear through the nylon cup) or both
how hard I dont know yet, it's on tonight's program, you need a few special tools also

not the subject, but I have read a subject where you mention about your arche falling off, could it be related to your front low suspension? (tyres rubbing arches)

#9 Rodders

Rodders

Mr Sexy Ankles

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:53 AM

I had a similar problem with my suspension not long ago.Paid a mechanic to fit new cones(make sure there not copy's as they are rubbish) the only problem was that it has been back to the garage twice because its still the same and we cant find out whats wrong :'(

Hope you have better luck than me.

#10 adcyork

adcyork

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

not the subject, but I have read a subject where you mention about your arche falling off, could it be related to your front low suspension? (tyres rubbing arches)

I was thinking that but looking at it i don't think that is the reason the arch is coming off.

i'm going to have the front assembly apart and see what needs replacing.

Edited by adcyork, 21 October 2006 - 06:32 PM.

#11 the old git

the old git

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

A standard Mini of your cars vintage should be about 25 cms at the front and 27 cms at the rear. The measurement is taken, in the case of the front, from the sill to the floor at the level point before the curve of the wheel arch, just under the hinge part of the door. The rear, again level bit of sill before it curves over the rear arch. Anything much less than this at the front, then I would suggest you overhaul your front suspension completely, save future hassle. I have done a couple with the same problem recently replacing both front rubber cones, (cost about £43 the pair) and the knuckles complete rather than just the nylon cup. On one of the minis, it had been left too long with the result that the metal part of the knuckle had worn thro' the nylon cup into the upper suspension arm resulting in it sagging even lower. On this car, I fitted Hi-lows as well so that when I lowered it and the suspension had settled, I could compensate for the slight wear in the arm. After fitment the car road higher because of the new rubber cones,( I had set the hi-lows at the length of the standard struts to staart with.) After my mate had driven it for a week I reset the ride height to the above because it had settled. Again after about three weeks, it had settled and I reset the ride height. Fine ever since and being Hi-lows it resulted in the car sitting properly as opposed to sagging one side. I also redid the tracking on both cars. Prior to sorting this out, the cars were both knocking off their front wheel arch supports at the leading edge, one on the nearside and one on the off side. Don't forget, if you still get that problem, pack out the front panel to subframe with washers on the effected side, as done from new at the factory. Hope you can understand all this :'(

#12 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:09 PM

yep its low and yep it needs new cones and later kuckle joints

dave

#13 adcyork

adcyork

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:53 PM

how much are you talking for knuckle joints and are they easy to fit?

Edited by adcyork, 21 October 2006 - 10:54 PM.

#14 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:34 AM

knuckle joints costs only a few pounds
Have a look at this thread

Edited by Xiao_Bin, 22 October 2006 - 03:35 AM.

#15 adcyork

adcyork

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:06 AM

cheers mate thats cleared up a few points i couldn't work out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users