6 replies to this topic

#1 nelson84

nelson84

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:31 PM

I have a 78 mini 850, left hand drive Canadian mini. Which starter motor setup do I use on this car when installing a 1275-1300cc engine, that will work with the 78 mini wiring?

How many different starter setups are there?

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:48 PM

There are two starters. Pre engaged and inertia. Inertia was fitted to minis up to about 1980 when the A+ engines were introduced. There was a cross production around that time of A+ engines with both inertia and Pre engaged.

What you need to find out is what age and whether A or A+ the 1275 engine is. I believe you to have an inertia on the 850. The two are not interchangeble if the 1275 is A+

If theres an extra can on the front of the starter its pre engaged.

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 19 October 2006 - 11:51 PM.

#3 nelson84

nelson84

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:06 AM

There are two starters. Pre engaged and inertia. Inertia was fitted to minis up to about 1980 when the A+ engines were introduced. There was a cross production around that time of A+ engines with both inertia and Pre engaged.

What you need to find out is what age and whether A or A+ the 1275 engine is. I believe you to have an inertia on the 850. The two are not interchangeble if the 1275 is A+

If theres an extra can on the front of the starter its pre engaged.

I bought an engine from England and the guy asked me which starter setup I plan to run. So if I say I am going to run a pre engaged setup I will get an A+ engine? The engine is out of a metro? Will the pre engaged starter work better than an inertia? Which should I order? Will the pre engaged starter work with the 78 wiring?

#4 nelson84

nelson84

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:20 AM

I ran outside and checked my old 850cc engine and it is an inertia type starter, and my other mini, my mini pickup also has an inertia starter. Should I stick with the old inertia starter? Will the pre engaged be compatible with the old wiring?

#5 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 06:34 AM

It's not just a case of inertia or pre-engaged. The number of teeth on the flywheel must match the gears on the starter motor. You would need to count the teeth on both to be 100% certain which will fit.

Your best bet is probably to fit the starter which was originally fitted to the engine, regardless of whether it is the same as the one on your 850, then alter the wiring to suit. This is what we've done in the past.

#6 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:26 AM

or just put in whatever engine u like as long as u keep the original flywheel and starter!! as long as u change the clutch there shudnt be a problem with the 1300 running on an 850 clutch!! i dont think they made them different til verto came along

#7 nelson84

nelson84

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

or just put in whatever engine u like as long as u keep the original flywheel and starter!! as long as u change the clutch there shudnt be a problem with the 1300 running on an 850 clutch!! i dont think they made them different til verto came along

Everything comes with the engine and gearbox, even plugs and air filter. The guy emailed me back and is making sure the engine I get will have the old starter, I bought the engine from LMC, they are a dealer in minis and new and used parts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users