12 replies to this topic

#1 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

Has Ratchet, Will Make Noises

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

Not the usual question of how to remove the steering wheel/airbag centre itself.

I'm looking to remove the actual airbag from the centre piece? I'm thinking of retro-fitting an Mpi column to an earlier mini and quite like the idea of keeping the Mpi steering wheel. Is it safe to be using a steering wheel with the airbag left in and disconnected? Is there a way to completely remove it? Looking at the rear of the centre piece, it all looks like its permanently bolted together? 

Cheers

#2 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

Thought it was illegal to remove and airbag from a car fitted with one personally. 

#3 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

The mini its going in is early 70s so it never left the factory with one.

#4 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

It will be perfectly fine, won't go off as it needs 12V to fire the explosive device that fills the airbag with gas...

You can remove the airbag from the car if it isnt going to be used anymore on the road, if its going for scrap etc...

You can install an airbag column into a standard Mini and swap them around, but might become an issue at MoT time when the airbag isn't working/installed to work. Always with an MoT, if its fitted it has to work...

Dunno if a non airbag steering wheel will fit the MPi column though...?

#5 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

Right okay, that makes sense itd need 12v. To fit a none mpi wheel it needs a different boss to normal classic mini ones. I know an mgf one will fit as theyre the same,

I was thinking of somehow removing the srs airbag marking thats at the bottom. Not sure how to go about that at the moment.

Thanks for the help!

#6 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

I doubt if the MOT guy can do much. Even if it has SRS on the wheel, it won't have an airbag warning light so no indication anything is amiss.

And to test them they would have to drive your car into something stationary and I'm not sure they can do that ;-)

#7 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

Don't airbags have a capacitor in the wiring that needs to be discharged before the bag is removed?

#8 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Don't airbags have a capacitor in the wiring that needs to be discharged before the bag is removed?

The steering wheel Ive got is off the car. Judging by the dust all over it, it had been for a while!

#9 rkde

rkde

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

I can answer some of the questions;

• You can remove airbags and it is not illegal to do so
  • MOT wise if you had an SRS system fitted to the car at manufacture the system still needs to work, you are not allowed to have the light on for an MOT however the light needs to show at ignition and then switch off to say the system is OK, no light is not OK. As this car did not have an airbag it doesn't matter
  • The airbag is fine not connected it will not go off as it has a safety cut off which is made by connecting it
  •  Best bet is if you want to use the steering wheel just put the airbag in and it will not go off

My knowledge comes from going through an BIVA to get a more modern mini on the road after excessive modifications where it had a airbag system 

I am looking to do something similar too but mostly because I want the wiper / indicator stalks but as I have not got them I have no idea if I need another column or if it will work with my current. Though I have been tempted to just go out and buy a whole MPI but I quite like having one of the last carb models 

Edited by rkde, 21 October 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#10 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

You want to ditch the lovely Mk3 steering column shroud with it's Lowe & Fletcher lock (or rarer Neiman-Tex lock)? .... may the fleas of a thousand camels inhabit your arm-pits :angry:!

It is possible to fit the MPI switch-gear within the Mk3 shroud (& retain the side facing lock) but it takes a lot of time & effort, & by that i mean A LOT! I can't remember how long it took me but it's not something to undertake lightly.

It might be easier to fit MK4 switch-gear into a Mk3 shroud but i haven't tried that (you will need to cut/file/polish the plastic shroud where the L/H arm comes out).

For anyone else wanting MPI switch-gear it was also fitted to some of the Rover & MG range of that era (with the added bonus that some had a rear wash/wipe switch included in the R/H arm -they are interchangeable). The same applies to steering wheels -many of them will fit (esp the MGF/MGTF) but make sure you get one with an airbag if the centre section is a different shape.

(NB: I take no responsibility for any numpty buying the wrong part!)

#11 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

You want to ditch the lovely Mk3 steering column shroud with it's Lowe & Fletcher lock (or rarer Neiman-Tex lock)? .... may the fleas of a thousand camels inhabit your arm-pits :angry:!

Haha, the car came to me as a shell, if its any consolation. Dare I tell you what lump is going in the front....a clue is its Japanese   :shy:

#12 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

Japanese???

Got it -you're going to fit a Yamaha FS1E engine from the same era.... That's going to be a fizzy little Mini :unsure:

As it was a bare shell you're forgiven, Mk3 steering bits are hard to find & expensive (esp the steering column/ignition lock) so it makes financial sense to fit a later set-up.

i'm not a fan of the QTB101020 range of MPI Mini/MGF(?) steering wheels as i find those lumps comfortable for everyday driving but annoying with fast cornering, thinking of changing mine for an earlier MGF wheel without the lumps. ((from memory i think the MGTF  QTP103000(?) wheel is a different design so you can't fit the Mini badged airbag, the MGZR wheel is a slightly larger diameter -& that some MGZS & MGZR have a different boss & won't fit)).

#13 GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

Haha yup we'll go with that! 

Thanks for the info regarding steering wheels. Seems the mini mpi wheels attract a "mini scene tax" and the MG ones go for much cheaper. I'll see how I feel with the newer wheel once its on the road, always have to option to get a boss for an aftermarket wheel. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users