#16 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,691 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 August 2024 - 08:57 PM

I wouldn't be surprised it there are differences with the original Unipart mirrors.

Chuee's call, if they have the mirrors already they may be either type.

This is how I remember them, with a separate pair of threaded holes for the mirror

https://minispares.c...8A.aspx|Back to

#17 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 August 2024 - 09:42 AM

I remember some aftermarket mirrors used a plastic base with plugs moulded on it which acted like wallplugs.Drill holes,fit plate with plugs into door and fit with screws.This allowed fitting to cars with no mirror provision.Steve..

#18 chuee

chuee

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 02:33 PM

The female screw threads are of course, threaded to take a machine screw.  However, I suspect raised-head screws, though not perfect, would allow the mirror to fit over the top.

The screw photo is out of a tex set the thread on the screw is coarse as it is biting into the softish plastic and expanding the holders on the bracket that sit inside the door. A finer thread I don’t think would not bite into the plastic enough and just chew it up eventually.

Ah! Thanks Chris. In which case those screws you show are the correct ones for plastic fittings. I beg your pardon.

I posted that reply in case any one elese might find the thread useful, so as to not be misled when investigating screws for Tex fittings; |To be plain, I was speaking of the OLD former plinths for tex mirrors, but currently available ones are different. Ethel kindly gave the complete answer wrt to the old mounts.

So  the difference between the currently available plinth to mount Tex mirrors with plastic inserts and , and the old ones; the old ones had metal mounting bars, and machined threads for machine screws. 

Excellent, 

Edited by chuee, 02 August 2024 - 02:37 PM.

#19 chuee

chuee

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 02:38 PM

I wouldn't be surprised it there are differences with the original Unipart mirrors.

Chuee's call, if they have the mirrors already they may be either type.

This is how I remember them, with a separate pair of threaded holes for the mirror

https://minispares.c...8A.aspx|Back to

That's about right Ethel..... except in that current version you link to, the retaining bar is now plastic. Orginally they were metal, which I have here. MOst grateful for your complete answer to my question and this version, that you orignally posted.

Edited by chuee, 02 August 2024 - 02:40 PM.

#20 Verderad

Verderad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 05:37 PM

Ive just fitted these.  I tried without the plinth, it look cheap.  They don’t fit without the plinth can’t get a good angle. 

Not sure how I missed the adaptor plate for the later holes!!
I had rivnuts fitted before paint but the lower hole does not allow the plinth to sit correctly.
Using the other slightly higher hole allows the plinth to sit straight, the plinth covers the lower hole.

Ive drilled another hole and used the rawl plus type adaptor and the crude wood screw.  

Its all worked out ok.  

The only issue I have is that the mirror glass vibrates in the mirror housing, with the windows down it sound like I’m dragging tin cans . 
Not sure if I have done something wrong with the fitting but I was expecting the mirrors to be secure.  

I will be ordering the Chrome plinths

#21 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,104 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 August 2024 - 06:42 PM

For reference the Tex supplied screw in the earlier photo posted is not a wood screw....it is a 'self-tapping screw'.

#22 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 06:47 PM

These mirrors were first factory fitted to Mk3 Minis with winding windows and the plastic base/gasket below was pushed into suitable size holes drilled in the door on the flat section below the window and then two self tapping screws were used to secure through the metal plinth which spread the two plastic lugs behind, (rather like a pop rivet does) to secure the plinth in place without needing to get behind the door panel. A small metal or plastic part was then screwed onto the plinth (see Minispares link) and the mirror was then attached with a small grub screw. The early Tex/Wingard mirrors had a solid metal wedge fixed to the plinth to lock and hold the mirror on. In later years this was "improved" or cost reduced with a plastic wedge and they are pretty rubbish usually allowing the mirror to wobble/vibrate....

CHROME MIRROR PLINTH AS FITTED 1970-80 WITH GAM215/6A
This chrome base was fitted to factory production cars from 1970 -80.
The fixing holes to door are 2.1/8"(55mm) centres apart.
http://www.minispare...5A.aspx|Back to

DOOR MIRROR PLINTH GASKET ONLY FOR CZH3521
http://www.minispare...21.aspx|Back to

The later aftermarket Tex mirrors did away with the separate chrome metal plinth and have a combined angled plastic plinth/gasket:-
http://www.minispare...84.aspx|Back to

I have fitted these to earlier Minis with sliding windows in the same factory position as the Mk3 which just means the plastic lugs and ends of the two fixing screws project slightly into the door rain gutters but don't cause any problem.

Photo below of my 1965 Mk1 with Tex mirrors on chrome plinths as fitted back in 1974....(Tilling winding window conversion).
1VBEADQ.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 02 August 2024 - 07:01 PM.

#23 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 06:49 PM

Tex website has pdf file of fitting instructions here:-
https://texautomotiv...nstructions.pdf

Chrome Plinth Kit for Mini/Midget – Polished
SKU: M99987 - Use where the vehicle door is at a steep angle:-
https://texautomotiv...or-mini-midget/

Tex Mirrors range:-
https://texautomotiv...s/door-mirrors/

Flat or convex glass is down to personal choice, I prefer the convex for covering a wider area of the blindspot, etc but of course they make things look further away.

#24 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 06:52 PM

The factory fitted Tex door mirror position on Mk3 Minis
(on the original Tex chrome plinth).

y2zYLBUh.jpg

glRis2K.jpg

SHmZgQy.jpg

#25 chuee

chuee

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 August 2024 - 08:52 PM

A small metal or plastic part was then screwed onto the plinth (see Minispares link) and the mirror was then attached with a small grub screw. The early Tex/Wingard mirrors had a solid metal wedge fixed to the plinth to lock and hold the mirror on. In later years this was "improved" or cost reduced with a plastic wedge and they are pretty rubbish usually allowing the mirror to wobble/vibrate....

Great stuff Mab01.

Yeah, agreead. Instead of ordering a new plinth with plastic wedge, I cut a metal wedge. I'm just missing the 3/16 unf screws.

I suspect  someone removed the wedge and screws whilst my car was parked., but left the mirror perched over the plinth to drop off as i drove off, and smash the glass.

Replacement glass comes with  some stick on foam to stop its vibration; erlier versions had some kind of mastic/putty, in adition to the black sealing rubber ring that sits around the edge of the glass, when inserted into athelip of chrome backing cup. 

Edited by chuee, 03 August 2024 - 08:53 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users