24 replies to this topic

#1 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

Planning on fitting some of the rectangular type (standard style) chrome mirrors to a 90s car.  like these: http://minispares.co...px|Back to shop

MS says you also need a fitting kit http://minispares.co...sic/M90999.aspx for later cars, but then theres something about only needing the metal plate http://minispares.co.../M90999MS.aspx.  

Theres also a chrome plinth option http://minispares.co...px|Back to shop

So what bits do i actually need to replace the later plastic mirrors, using the same holes?

My main concern is that sometimes you see this type of mirror fitted and they appear very upright, more so that they would have been originally on a 70s car.  What causes this, is it the later fitting kit or does the chrome plinth angle the mirror up more?

They also do a convex version - are these better?  More interested in like for like replacement to the plastic mirrors, are they convex as standard?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,255 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

if you have the current plastic mirrors fitted with the two holes close together you can by the fitting kit as mentioned. Or drill new holes and fit new rivnuts.

#3 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

Do the chrome plinths make the mirror sit at a more upright angle?

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,255 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

no. just an alternative. not an addition just either or.

#5 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

Hi Haynes,

I swapped my flat mirrors on my Mini for the convex type and it does give you a slightly wider viewing angle. 

Cheers, Steve.

#6 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

http://www.minitechn.../4535296087.jpg I've now find this link to a pic showing these mirrors in the more upright position - which I'm not keen on, or are these actually different mirrors?

#7 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

In my experience using the chrome plinth means less vibration of the mirror and is how they were fitted to the Mk 3 Mini (and MG Midget). The chrome plinth will need two holes drilling to mount it but will hide the rivnuts

#8 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:45 AM

The chrome plinth allows better adjustment too

#9 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

So does that mean the chrome plinth does change the angle of the mirror, ie making it more upright?

#10 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

It doesn't really make it more upright as you can change the angle of the head but it does lift the mirror up higher

#11 chuee

chuee

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 10:17 PM

Does anyone know what thread the mirror locking bar screws are?

I.E. the bar that the mirror sten sits over, and locks to witha grub screw; formerly metal, these days sold as plastic.

#12 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 07:25 AM

The top of the head is 9mm the shank is 5mm.

Attached Files

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,691 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 August 2024 - 09:08 AM

The mirrors were originally used on many BL models - Allegro, Marina etc.

The mounting angle on the Mini is more vertical because the doors have a thinner profile, hence the plinths to put the mirror itself at the same angle, with full adjustment range.

I think the screw is 3/16unf - the little cover plate over the cable behind the handbrake is too if you want to try it.

CMZ312 was the part number for the actual screw.

#14 chuee

chuee

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 09:18 AM

I think the screw is 3/16unf - the little cover plate over the cable behind the handbrake is too if you want to try it.

THanks Ethel, Excellent. 

Thanks for your photo Chris, which shows a countersunk head, whic is correct.  No nasty criticism intended, beleive me,  but being a wood screw, it  appears to be an attempt at a replacement of the screw with something at hand that would serve, and wood screws were stuck in. They may well hold but likely as not,  not for so many years, or may very soon wobble anyway, and then the threads will be buggered, and continue to get deteriate; the result a mirror that vibrates, and will one day fall off on the road and smash.

The female screw threads are of course, threaded to take a machine screw.  However, I suspect raised-head screws, though not perfect, would allow the mirror to fit over the top.

I'll try the 3/16" unf,  with countersunk head.

#15 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 10:54 AM

THanks Ethel, Excellent. 

Thanks for your photo Chris, which shows a countersunk head, whic is correct.  No nasty criticism intended, beleive me,  but being a wood screw, it  appears to be an attempt at a replacement of the screw with something at hand that would serve, and wood screws were stuck in. They may well hold but likely as not,  not for so many years, or may very soon wobble anyway, and then the threads will be buggered, and continue to get deteriate; the result a mirror that vibrates, and will one day fall off on the road and smash.

The female screw threads are of course, threaded to take a machine screw.  However, I suspect raised-head screws, though not perfect, would allow the mirror to fit over the top.

I'll try the 3/16" unf,  with countersunk head.

The screw photo is out of a tex set the thread on the screw is coarse as it is biting into the softish plastic and expanding the holders on the bracket that sit inside the door. A finer thread I don’t think would not bite into the plastic enough and just chew it up eventually.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users