Photo
- - - - -

Difference Between An Mpi Rover Mini Cooper Sport And A Standard Rover Mini Cooper?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:47 AM

There you go, we can blame BMW then! Lol.

Probably not, looking at the links mab01uk kindly provided BMW were responsible for overall marketing/styling decisions hence the move away from cheap transportation to a more luxurious but costly fashion item, but to quote Pischetsrieder ‘I want to make it clear that Rover’s and Land Rover’s design and engineering operations will remain fully functional and largely independent from us here (in Munich).’

13x6" wheels were first used on the 1989 ERA Turbo, then the 1991 Lamm (Autohaus) Cabriolet & proved very popular with the European market -& European sales were considered important by Rover. The German 1993 Mini Silverstone had 13x6 revolution alloys & predates the BMW takeover so we probably do have to blame Rover for the Sports Pack.

Edited by Itsaminithing, 09 December 2016 - 01:48 AM.

#17 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:14 AM

One might wonder what the max speed would be if the wheel arch extensions were removed, 4.5 wheels with 145 tyres were fitted and both of those huge wing mirrors were removed and replaced with a single small clamp-on A-post mirror fitted. That would sure reduce the aerodynamic drag.

On a car that on its own is as aerodynamic as a brick, i'd imagine not a great deal.

Edited by Steve220, 09 December 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#18 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:11 AM

No. But it certainly would make a difference. It would be very interesting to see how much could be gained by removing the "extras".

Edited by THE ANORAK, 09 December 2016 - 10:12 AM.

#19 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

Std Mini 0-60mph 12.2 seconds, top speed 90mph.

Sports pack Mini 0-60mph 12.8 seconds, top speed 84mph.

Miniworld -November 1999 issue.

#20 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,114 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:49 PM

Even de-seaming made a small difference to reduce aerodynamic drag when it was first carried out on Special Saloon race Mini's in the 1960 and 70's and was later banned as a modification under the regs for many classes of Mini racing.

This is an interesting report below on Mini aerodynamics:-

"Carbon Weezel together with Racecar Engineering magazine took a hillclimb Mini into the MIRA wind tunnel for a hectic but very revealing half-day session to test products and to provide data for a short series of articles in its monthly Aerobytes column, written by former hillclimber Simon McBeath."

http://www.carbonwee...sting_mini.html

Edited by mab01uk, 09 December 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#21 Tyred-and-emotional

Tyred-and-emotional

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Local Club: 3 Custardeers Mini Club

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:00 AM

True.......the MPI Sportpack was really a result of BMW's takeover in 1994. As you probably know Rover were going to let just the Mini quietly die in 1996 due to the significant investment needed to meet new EU safety, emissions and drive by noise rules. However BMW realised the value of the Mini and its worldwide reputation and wanted to increase its position in the market as a more upmarket small car with extra 'fun' factor. The Mini no longer sold as a bargain basement economy car or 'sensible' buy....it was too expensive to build and the competition was way ahead in that area of the small car market.

The result was BMW funded the development of the 1997 MPi models and Sportpack range with long overdue upgrades and investment in the Mini range, far more expensive than previous Mini's to buy but with airbags, better trim and a huge choice of customer options and accessories. This also kept the Mini in the marketplace and public eye as a current car right up until the launch of the Rover designed R50 New MINI in 2001.......although of course the later BMW split from Rover mean't only the launch prototypes were ever to be shown/marketed as Rover MINI's at the 1997 Frankfurt Motor show Preview and Rover also had a New MINI R50 prototype on stage inside a special marque at the Silverstone Mini 40th Celebration in 1999. If you queued to get inside the New R50 MINI was very briefly displayed under spotlights on stage after a short film showing the history of the Mini. On exit the audience of Mini enthusiasts were given polling cards to vote whether they liked it or not to deposit into ballot boxes outside for Rover marketing research.

(R50 = Rover Development Project Code for the New MINI)

Despite the publicity about the end of production, the very last batches of MPi Mini's left at MG-Rover Dealers took a while to sell, even with special £900 discounts and so quite a few were not registered to retail customers until long after official production had ended. I guess many potential buyers were also putting their deposits on the New R50 MINI's waiting list due for launch a few months later in early 2001.

You may also find some of this thread interesting:-

http://www.theminifo...pe-launch-1997/

I still have some of those polling cards. Voting on them resulted in being put on the mailing list, the ex and I got sent a load of promotional items sent out, including a box that opened up to show a small scene with a tiny BINI in the snow if I remember rightly. I threw all the BINI stuff in the bin!

#22 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 12,114 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

I still have some of those polling cards. Voting on them resulted in being put on the mailing list, the ex and I got sent a load of promotional items sent out, including a box that opened up to show a small scene with a tiny BINI in the snow if I remember rightly. I threw all the BINI stuff in the bin!

Rare early R50 MINI launch preview stuff like that is starting to fetch good prices on ebay..........so don't throw your now rare polling cards away especially if they are branded with Rover!

Edited by mab01uk, 12 December 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#23 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,117 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

I seem to recall that the frontal area of the seams is 45 sq,ins. That is a sizeable area of drag creation and it why it was banned in competition. I once bought a 998 Cooper which was to become a historic competition car (a 970 'S') and I had to re-build the seams after fitting new wings & A-panels to make the seams run right up to the gutter level. That was probably more work than was needed to remove them in the first place.

#24 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

They should have sent you a box containing a tiny BINI on fire.

http://www.miniprobl...bo-engine-fire/

Edited by Itsaminithing, 12 December 2016 - 06:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users