#1 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

Need a helmet for track days and hillclimbing

I won't need HANS and I'm looking at open face or would one with a chin be better?

I've looked at the Hedtech one at about £100 I'm happy to spend a bit more but not too much..

Any advice of what to look for ?

#2 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 05:51 PM

Need a helmet for track days and hillclimbing

I won't need HANS and I'm looking at open face or would one with a chin be better?

I've looked at the Hedtech one at about £100 I'm happy to spend a bit more but not too much..

Any advice of what to look for ?

From experience with helmets from all sorts of different sports....try them before you buy.

You might not have a hedtech head.

Also, don't necessarily go for the most expensive.

Hans posts might be a good idea though, as you might find it will become mandatory across all motorsport. You won't have to have the posts, just the holes ready to accept the bolts if the time comes... Doubt track days will everything needs hans style devices, but sprinting and hillclimbs might....think of it like fututeproofing.

Edit... Just for reference, I've got a bell sport 5, full face helmet and I find it really comfortable and light.

Edited by rally1380, 17 October 2016 - 05:52 PM.

#3 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:17 PM

Cheers for the advice, I'm going to go to demon theves on Saturday.

Good point about the HANS too..

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,178 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

One that fits.

And one that fulfils all the requirements that require you to wear one.

PS. Sprints and hillclimbs need FHR devices now IIRC.

#5 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:16 PM

Not all classes require FHR....but the OP will need to research that.

Agree with your other points tho.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,178 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

Not all classes require FHR....but the OP will need to research that.
Agree with your other points tho.

I felt like repeating the first point a few times but resisted.

Fit fit fit fit fit fit

#7 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

Cheers for the advice, I'm going to go to demon theves on Saturday.

Good point about the HANS too..

Gonna stick up for Tweeks here...they just charge rrp on stuff... Long gone are the days they could charge what they wanted for stuff.

For helmets and overalls I doubt there is anywhere in the country with as good of a selection in stock than tweeks.

They have certainly fought my corner for me when I had tyre issues and had to return them...the manufacturer blamed me, but tweeks sorted it out for me.

I'd definitely look at buying a lid with hans post capacity...then you are covered. Also buy a balaclava to wear as it will save your helmet lining and you can wash it easier than you can was the helmet.

#8 minifreek1

minifreek1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.O.C

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:08 PM

I do track days in my Mini and went to Halfords and bought a full face 'basic' helmet from there for IIRC £30....?

It conforms to the 'rules' of the track I go to (3 Sisters in Wigan). If I need a different helmet for another track, I probably won't bother going...

I know you can't put a price on safety, but the speeds I get to in my Mini, the helmet I have is more than adequate....

#9 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:46 PM

^^^^ Couldn't disagree with you more....I'm guessing a halfords helmet is designed for motorbikes rather than motorsport, and probably churned out by the thousands in a far east sweatshop and I seriously doubt is up to much in a proper accident.

By all means scrimp on gloves or race shoes or even just wear a t shirt, but a helmet is a seriously important safety component and if you hit your head properly is potentially the difference between life and death.

I'm not saying that folks should go out and buy a £300 lid, but please please buy something suitable....if the OP is planning doing sprints, a scrutineer will laugh at a £30 halfords jobbie and won't let you anywhere near the track....I wonder why?

I'm sorry for my response, but I feel your advice is bad and potentially dangerous

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 18,178 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

Well if the 30 quid lid has the correct approval it will be ok. Not saying I would use it though.

Seen some very lucky people who did not have correctly fitting or incorrect spec lids.

Nothing wrong with MC lids. Shoei and Arai were well popular 20 some years back,

I have a Shoei head.

#11 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:29 PM

It will be a SA2015, I'm aware of some track days that now state MC helmets are not adequate..

#12 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:07 AM

Nothing wrong with MC lids. Shoei and Arai were well popular 20 some years back,

I have a Shoei head.

Nothing wrong with Shoei or Arai at all......but these Halfords lids ain't them.

One says..........

Conforms to ECE 22.05 motorcycle helmet safety standard

Errrr....I think i'd prefer to trust my melon inside something that has been designed for the job in hand.

#13 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:20 PM

As others have said, it's all about the fit, my advice would try loads of makes without looking at the price, find the one that fits the best and buy it, people surprise me when they buy cheap helmets because they are cheap, not because they fit the best, there is nothing worse than a helmet that gives you a headache etc.
Years ago I bought a Simpson because it was the in thing, worst helmet I ever had, nipped me everywhere, I sold it and bought a aria, I could wear it all day.

Shooter

#14 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

Great suggestions above,

Two points of advice I'd offer

1. How much do you value your head?  Cheap helmets are OK but consider that when you hit something at 70MPH your helmet fits the hard stuff first then your head hits the inside of the helmet, a more expensive one will have better padding and shock absorbing properties than a cheaper one.  I've seen shoei helmets with impact so bad it's flattered the contact spot but the rider's head was still intact.

2. Fit is megga important, have a look on the web and see the suggestions for pulling lids this way and that when trying them out and use that wherever you go, dont trust the lads in the shop.

I know you only want to do a few trackdays, but 'offs' still happen and £30, £60 or £100 extra on a lid will make sense to you in those split seconds before the thud. 

#15 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

I use Grand Prix Racewear based at Silverstone Circuit. I found Arai to be the most comfortable for my melon & bought a GP6 S

Link for GP Racewear;

http://gprdirect.com...gory/helmets-2/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users