• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NewMexicoMini

NewMexicoMini
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

First post, new member.

I live in the US and have decided to find a classic Mini.  I’m familiar with British cars having owned two MGAs and a Healey Sprite.

In my search I’ve come across a 1996 Mark VII in extremely nice condition.  This is a VIN-swapped car and now properly registered as a 1970.  I understand the distaste for VIN swapping but almost every later model classic Mini in the US has this because that’s often how they make it through customs and registration.  The Mini I've found is a typical Mark VII with 13” wheels, modern dash, fuel injection, etc.  Because the car is registered as a 1970, there is no reason to keep the injection and the seller has all of the parts to convert it to a carbureted car.  So that’s good, but I do have a preference for Mark III or earlier cars.  For some reason, I just like the simplicity of them – especially the interior with the gauges in the center of the dash.

So, my question: would it be too much of an undertaking to convert this Mark VII to mimic the look and feel of the older Mark III?  Is it possible if one has all of the proper parts to rip out the more modern interior in favor of the older one?  I realize that ditching the 13” wheels is probably harder to do because the body work was likely modified to accommodate them, is that correct?  What about the suspension?

Given that I haven’t purchased this car, would it be better to keep searching to an older vehicle?  Remember, this is the US where nice Minis are harder to come by.

Any other advice from seasoned members?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions out there….

Edited by NewMexicoMini, 12 September 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:54 PM

Hi and welcome, with regards to changing the interior in terms of parts it's not a problem all parts will be source able through the likes of Mini Spares and others plus good old e-bay. The only problem you may encounter is if it is an MPI interior with things like headlight aim adjuster switches although you could just do away with that if local regulations allow. The suspension should be standard unless changed by a previous owner but you are correct about the wings being cut to accommodate the larger 13" wheels not sure what the car would look like with smaller wheels, depends on whether it has sportspack wheel arches. At worst you may need to fit new wings.

Edited by RedRuby, 12 September 2016 - 05:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users